What's new
Right now that I've read through this again I've had a thought

As I understand it the ROMs on the left side are graphics ROMs and the 2 on the right are main CPU code with the small one being sounds I think?

So to start with you really need to be focusing your attention on the main CPU code since you're getting the music but no game so far. The PAL isn't the issue because if it was you would have a working game but in 1cm blocks all over your screen (I had this PAL fail on Hyper Fighting)

What speed are your 27C4096 and have you verified them?
They are HN27C4096G-12 so 120ns - these might be original. I have verified everything at least a couple of times at this point. I'll look to grab some new ROMs and give that a go. Makes perfect sense that the CPU code is wrong, nothing I do with the graphics ROMs makes any difference whatsoever.

set the three dips witches to the same as mine are. I had to swap two roms over because I was getting graphics corruption on title page.

Almost as if the zip on the French site had two of the files renamed in it to make it difficult to replicate unless you knew the crc of each rom.

I used -120 eproms
Tried your DIP switch settings as best I could from the pic. Does the same thing.

Just to confirm:
DIPA 7,8 on
DIPB 1,2 on
DIPC all off

Have you tried loading the set you're trying to run on the board in MAME? I'm starting to think there might be an issue with the ROM set if you've confirmed it's burnt properly

Have you tried loading the set you're trying to run on the board in MAME? I'm starting to think there might be an issue with the ROM set if you've confirmed it's burnt properly
Yeah they do, I had a really good dig into it all and the roms from the French site are the same md5sum as the files from daimakair.zip in MAME anyway.

I found this discussion and there's a guy with username "shoestring" who is using the same board as me and says some interesting things.

I read the entire thread. From what I can see:
  • daimakair.zip GAL file is fine and works on my B board
  • I am right about needing to swap 2 and 3 and 6 and 7 on my B board
  • Also a few people noted that when the game boots when its working it does what mine does - plays random music or a burst of static so I must be close.
  • 150ns is too slow you need 120ns or faster for CPS-1
  • I might perhaps need to use modified code in ROM 22 and 23 for my board. I can't figure out either way from what they are saying. There is a process in there where someone combined a us romset and a jap romset, I followed the procedure and burned the ROM - confirmed it works in MAME and burned it to my ROM, does exactly the same thing
  • There is also talk of needing custom ROMs for the US MASK ROM board that aren't in MAME.
dam_01.3a => no change
dam_02.4a => to 5a
dam_03.5a => to 4a
dam_04.6a => no change
dam_05.7a => no change
dam_06.8a => to 9a
dam_07.9a => to 8a
dam_08.10a => no change

One issue I had was with the AM27c4096-150s for the program roms. They didn't work even though they verified OK. Obviously some timing issue. I had to use some 27c240s.
the issue with those EPROMs was the speed - 150ns is too slow you need 120ns or faster for CPS-1.

Tried the roms produced by doing this:
1. I loaded up theghostsu driver in mame with "mame -log -debug ghoulsu"
2. Then dumped thecode like this. Press tilde "save 23.bin,0,0x80000" for the 23, then"save 22.bin,0x80000,0x80000" for the 22 rom
3. Copy the 22.bin,23.bin into daimakair.zip
4. In the cps1.cdriver, change the daimakair driver to use the new 22.bin, 23.bin you've justcreated ( or u can simply rename them in the zip file )
5. Load the game upagain using the Daimakaimura Resale driver with mame -log -debug daimakair
6. Again dump thecode, "save 23.bin,0,0x80000" for the 23 rom, then "save22.bin,0x80000,0x80000" for the 22 rom. This is to swap every 16bytesback, miss this step and your rom will not work.
7. Replace the new23.bin,22.bin with the old 23.bin,22.bin in the daimakair.zip.

A few people say things like this, might need to make an account and ask the guy doing mods what I need
ok, so it appears the roms needed for this conversion (at least using the US MASK ROM) board, do not exist in mame.

I guess my next steps are to:
  • Buy some faster ROMs
  • Pay some money to get posting rights in that other forum and ask some questions

Yeah they do, I had a really good dig into it all and the roms from the French site are the same md5sum as the files from daimakair.zip in MAME anyway.
I found this discussion and there's a guy with username "shoestring" who is using the same board as me and says some interesting things.

I read the entire thread. From what I can see:
  • daimakair.zip GAL file is fine and works on my B board
  • I am right about needing to swap 2 and 3 and 6 and 7 on my B board
  • Also a few people noted that when the game boots when its working it does what mine does - plays random music or a burst of static so I must be close.
  • 150ns is too slow you need 120ns or faster for CPS-1
  • I might perhaps need to use modified code in ROM 22 and 23 for my board. I can't figure out either way from what they are saying. There is a process in there where someone combined a us romset and a jap romset, I followed the procedure and burned the ROM - confirmed it works in MAME and burned it to my ROM, does exactly the same thing
  • There is also talk of needing custom ROMs for the US MASK ROM board that aren't in MAME.
dam_01.3a => no change
dam_02.4a => to 5a
dam_03.5a => to 4a
dam_04.6a => no change
dam_05.7a => no change
dam_06.8a => to 9a
dam_07.9a => to 8a
dam_08.10a => no change

One issue I had was with the AM27c4096-150s for the program roms. They didn't work even though they verified OK. Obviously some timing issue. I had to use some 27c240s.
the issue with those EPROMs was the speed - 150ns is too slow you need 120ns or faster for CPS-1.

Tried the roms produced by doing this:
1. I loaded up theghostsu driver in mame with "mame -log -debug ghoulsu"
2. Then dumped thecode like this. Press tilde "save 23.bin,0,0x80000" for the 23, then"save 22.bin,0x80000,0x80000" for the 22 rom
3. Copy the 22.bin,23.bin into daimakair.zip
4. In the cps1.cdriver, change the daimakair driver to use the new 22.bin, 23.bin you've justcreated ( or u can simply rename them in the zip file )
5. Load the game upagain using the Daimakaimura Resale driver with mame -log -debug daimakair
6. Again dump thecode, "save 23.bin,0,0x80000" for the 23 rom, then "save22.bin,0x80000,0x80000" for the 22 rom. This is to swap every 16bytesback, miss this step and your rom will not work.
7. Replace the new23.bin,22.bin with the old 23.bin,22.bin in the daimakair.zip.

A few people say things like this, might need to make an account and ask the guy doing mods what I need
ok, so it appears the roms needed for this conversion (at least using the US MASK ROM) board, do not exist in mame.

I guess my next steps are to:
  • Buy some faster ROMs
  • Pay some money to get posting rights in that other forum and ask some questions
Told ya :thumbup: Too slow for program code. If it was gfx game would work although corrupted but code will hang or do unexpected things.

Told ya :thumbup: Too slow for program code. If it was gfx game would work although corrupted but code will hang or do unexpected things.
But my code ROMs are 120ns its just my GFX ROMs that are 150ns :/ Gonna replace them anyway as I snapped a pin on one and you buy new ones in 10 packs.

Not sure if the speed thing is even correct, it's just what some forum guy said.

The actual board silkscreening says:

HN62414P-17 for the graphics.
27C301G-20 for the sound.
HN27C4096G-15 for the program.

Assuming the last numbers are the speed, the board specifies 170ns, 200ns and 150ns.

I'm stumped, something is definitely wrong at the CPU code side of things but you're using the correct type of ROMs for the board, the jumpers are set correctly and the code matches

I assume that you're also using the correct C board (CPS-B-21) since this is what SF2:CE and HF use as well.

Without burning another game to the ROMs to test or using a known working set from another board, I'm not sure how to proceed any further here other than checking continuity of the jumpers to confirm there's no issue there (for the main CPU code this is the set of 4 jumpers just left of 22/23 labelled PJ01)

Ok so this turned out to be a faulty PAL in slot 11D which is the bprg rom. Swapped it with the one in my working Hyper Fighting and works fine now.

Thanks all for the help!

Any US-based folks who can do this conversion?

cash.gif

Can't get more local than me :P

Depending on what your B board is I can make a set of chips probably

What's the difference between Daimakaimura and Ghouls 'n Ghosts?
The only difference is Title/Language and Im pretty sure difficulty. Japanese versions of games tend to have a higher difficulty of game play compared to other regions. Plus I think the world version romset has a more thorough startup pcb test routine than the others.

Can't get more local than me :P

Depending on what your B board is I can make a set of chips probably
Well shit! I just paid for the roms and programming. Good to know a local programmer though.
What's the difference between Daimakaimura and Ghouls 'n Ghosts?
US - More checkpoints
JP - Less checkpoints
World - Like JP but English

If I could get past the first level I’d do this
Like most old skool games to do really well you need to memorize the enemy placement and movements.
Develop a strategy for dealing with each level/checkpoint and stick to it.

I don't mean to talk like I've got game, it's hard but it's more about memory than twitch.

Back