What's new
It's this week's competition game on 10pArcadePodcast
Stone cold classic, even if brutally hard.
I treasure my pcb, even if it's only a conversion :)

ghouls.jpg

If I could get past the first level I’d do this
Like most old skool games to do really well you need to memorize the enemy placement and movements.Develop a strategy for dealing with each level/checkpoint and stick to it.

I don't mean to talk like I've got game, it's hard but it's more about memory than twitch.
Normally one of those pig guys kills me right before the boss, or knocks off my armor and then the boss kills me lol. I got to the second level once on the Saturn version, but it took SOOO many tries! I think if I had a dedicated PCB I’d probably put more time into it.

I prefer the Japan version, but because of that title screen. ;)
We need to get modded rom files of the JP version were you swap in the english title/language. I wonder how difficult that would be to do.

We need to get modded rom files of the JP version were you swap in the english title/language. I wonder how difficult that would be to do.
I tried this and it works both in mame and on a pcb: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=259383&page=15

Code:
1. I loaded up the ghostsu driver in mame with "mame -log -debug ghostsu"
2. Then dumped the code like this. Press tilde "save 23.bin,0,0x80000" for the 23, then "save 22.bin,0x80000,0x80000" for the 22 rom
3. Copy the 22.bin, 23.bin into daimakair.zip
4. In the cps1.c driver, change the daimakair driver to use the new 22.bin, 23.bin you've just created ( or u can simply rename them in the zip file )
5. Load the game up again using the Daimakaimura Resale driver with mame -log -debug daimakair
6. Again dump the code, "save 23.bin,0,0x80000" for the 23 rom, then "save 22.bin,0x80000,0x80000" for the 22 rom. This is to swap every 16bytes back, miss this step and your rom will not work.
7. Replace the new 23.bin,22.bin with the old 23.bin,22.bin in the daimakair.zip.
Converts Daimakiamura resale to English.

Already done. And so is Final Fight :P

My CPS1 conversions info

And if people were considering messaging me to make sets of roms for you I don't really offer modding services however I live in the same town as streetfighterken and have a few leftover EPROMs from the conversions I made which would've been enough for 1 set so it was convenient. No I will not be selling conversions.

Yeah they do, I had a really good dig into it all and the roms from the French site are the same md5sum as the files from daimakair.zip in MAME anyway.

I found this discussion and there's a guy with username "shoestring" who is using the same board as me and says some interesting things.

I read the entire thread. From what I can see:
  • daimakair.zip GAL file is fine and works on my B board
  • I am right about needing to swap 2 and 3 and 6 and 7 on my B board
  • Also a few people noted that when the game boots when its working it does what mine does - plays random music or a burst of static so I must be close.
  • 150ns is too slow you need 120ns or faster for CPS-1
  • I might perhaps need to use modified code in ROM 22 and 23 for my board. I can't figure out either way from what they are saying. There is a process in there where someone combined a us romset and a jap romset, I followed the procedure and burned the ROM - confirmed it works in MAME and burned it to my ROM, does exactly the same thing
  • There is also talk of needing custom ROMs for the US MASK ROM board that aren't in MAME.
dam_01.3a => no change
dam_02.4a => to 5a
dam_03.5a => to 4a
dam_04.6a => no change
dam_05.7a => no change
dam_06.8a => to 9a
dam_07.9a => to 8a
dam_08.10a => no change

One issue I had was with the AM27c4096-150s for the program roms. They didn't work even though they verified OK. Obviously some timing issue. I had to use some 27c240s.
the issue with those EPROMs was the speed - 150ns is too slow you need 120ns or faster for CPS-1.

Tried the roms produced by doing this:
1. I loaded up theghostsu driver in mame with "mame -log -debug ghoulsu"
2. Then dumped thecode like this. Press tilde "save 23.bin,0,0x80000" for the 23, then"save 22.bin,0x80000,0x80000" for the 22 rom
3. Copy the 22.bin,23.bin into daimakair.zip
4. In the cps1.cdriver, change the daimakair driver to use the new 22.bin, 23.bin you've justcreated ( or u can simply rename them in the zip file )
5. Load the game upagain using the Daimakaimura Resale driver with mame -log -debug daimakair
6. Again dump thecode, "save 23.bin,0,0x80000" for the 23 rom, then "save22.bin,0x80000,0x80000" for the 22 rom. This is to swap every 16bytesback, miss this step and your rom will not work.
7. Replace the new23.bin,22.bin with the old 23.bin,22.bin in the daimakair.zip.

A few people say things like this, might need to make an account and ask the guy doing mods what I need
ok, so it appears the roms needed for this conversion (at least using the US MASK ROM) board, do not exist in mame.

I guess my next steps are to:
  • Buy some faster ROMs
  • Pay some money to get posting rights in that other forum and ask some questions
I am trying to convert my strider resale japan version to usa version but I am not successful, here I show my process
mame -log -debug strider
Then dumped the code like this
"save 23.bin,0,0x80000" for the 23, then "save 22.bin,0x80000,0x80000" for the 22 rom
rename the created files 22.bin to sthj_22.7f and 23.bin to sthj_23.8f and replace them with the ones found in the zip striderjr.zip
but when I run mame -log -debug striderj the rom does not start, I still learn f5.
am I doing something wrong?

Ermac, that thread is from 2017. It has rained a lot since then. What are you exactly trying to do? Convert a resale into USA version?

There is a romset called striderjr which probably matches what you have? Can you dump and check if the CRC matches?

There are 2 romsets called striderua and strider which are USA versions.

I see that RESALE version uses bigger roms, well, 2 bigger ones. The 2nd one aka .22 I think that you can leave as it is as it will go in the same place as where your .22 from resale version goes. The .23 which you don't have is what you need to handcraft.

I see also that you missed steps 5 and 6. Did you try that?

alternatively, create a new folder, put the files 30.11f, 31.12f, 35.11h, 36.12h into a folder and run this script. The output is your file 23. The 22 should work as is.

Attachments

• merge_strider.zip
    336 bytes · Views: 35
Last edited:
Ermac, that thread is from 2017. It has rained a lot since then. What are you exactly trying to do? Convert a resale into USA version?

There is a romset called striderjr which probably matches what you have? Can you dump and check if the CRC matches?

There are 2 romsets called striderua and strider which are USA versions.

I see that RESALE version uses bigger roms, well, 2 bigger ones. The 2nd one aka .22 I think that you can leave as it is as it will go in the same place as where your .22 from resale version goes. The .23 which you don't have is what you need to handcraft.

I see also that you missed steps 5 and 6. Did you try that?

alternatively, create a new folder, put the files 30.11f, 31.12f, 35.11h, 36.12h into a folder and run this script. The output is your file 23. The 22 should work as is.
Hello @Darksoft .
You are very right, this post is long overdue, I'm sorry if I stated my problem here.
I'm trying to convert strider resale version to the usa version, the romset I'm actually using is striderjr.
I tried step 5 and 6 and it doesn't work when I run it again in mame log debud striderjr.
Many thanks for Script, I'll try it in a while, although I would also like to learn how to do it for future occasions
Regards

Back