What's new

skate323k137

Enlightened
Reaction score
I accidentally booted the test mode for outrun 2 prior to booting the game. This effectively rendered my multi broken. No games would boot even after power cycle, reboot etc. The only thing that would load is the main lindbergh test mode.

Thankfully I made an extra copy of the HDD when I got my lindy. Putting that HDD back in fixes it, so I'm just going to re-image the SSD that I had thrown in there.

Not sure if this is something that could be fixed and I'm not really asking for a solution (seeing as re-image of HDD should work just fine), but if someone more knowledgeable than myself wants to reproduce and/or potentially fix this, it would be neat.

that's disconcerting...

I had been considering backing up my HDD to an SSD but now I think I definitely will. What process did you use to do this?

Interesting. First I've heard of this and I always enter test mode first to change the settings.

I have an old IDE to USB enclosure, so I put the original darkdawg HDD in that. I booted up linux and just used dd to copy the whole drive to a backup file. I.e.

# dd if=/dev/sdb of=/home/lindbergh.img

Then to image the ssd I did the same in reverse. I put the ssd in the tower to speed that up.

# dd if=/home/lindbergh.img of=/dev/sdc

I used a ide to sata adapter in the lindy itself, jumpered to slave. Even with that theres a slight decrease in boot time. I saw someone else hook up using sata straight to the lindy mobo but I haven't tried that myself.

Interesting. First I've heard of this and I always enter test mode first to change the settings.
That's good to hear. Basicially I had initial d5 loaded, powered off, booted up and hit the OR2 test mode. It crashed back to the game select menu and nether OR2 or hotd would boot. I rebooted a few times into either kernel but no games would boot. Hopefully it was a fluke and not a bug.

I have an old IDE to USB enclosure, so I put the original darkdawg HDD in that. I booted up linux and just used dd to copy the whole drive to a backup file. I.e.

# dd if=/dev/sdb of=/home/lindbergh.img

Then to image the ssd I did the same in reverse. I put the ssd in the tower to speed that up.

# dd if=/home/lindbergh.img of=/dev/sdc

I used a ide to sata adapter in the lindy itself, jumpered to slave. Even with that theres a slight decrease in boot time. I saw someone else hook up using sata straight to the lindy mobo but I haven't tried that myself.
This is something I really need to do as well just in case. For some reason I thought I read somewhere that you cannot hook up anything directly to the SATA port with the lindy multi...may have to experiment and see what happens. Decreasing loading times would be awesome lol.

Even with a sata ssd on an IDE adapter, it does boot faster. There was another thread on this forum where I saw the direct SATA hookup, you should be able to find it if you dig around.

So in a game can you go in to the test mode or will this break something?

So in a game can you go in to the test mode or will this break something?
I've had no problem loading test mode as long as I booted the game itself first, then hit test mode. The issue happened for me as I described above (I had played a different game on the previous boot).

Back