What's new

waiwainl

Professional
Reaction score
Arcade machines are not known for their silent cpu/case fans. When they are located inside a cab, within an arcade hall, it is not a problem. But when you use them in your own house, with a supergun or inside your cab in your silent room, it seems as if you are next to a plane that is about to take off 8|
No different is the Taito Type X family :saint:

Over at Taito Type X2 Upgrades and Mods, by @Cell, I saw which fans to replace the originals with.
Here is my process into changing them should you want to do the same.

What to buy
These are the fans I purchased, they are quite cheap.
CPU CoolerGeLid Silent 7 FN-SX07-22 70mm
VLlfE7l.jpg
Case fanCooler Master SickleFlow 120
EE7bUq6.jpg
Power SupplyScythe Mini KAZE ULTRA 40mm (2x)
xfGvQDq.jpg
;

Open up the casing
  1. Unscrew the top hdd-cover with your (multi)hdd
  2. Unplug the SATA cable and the power cable.
  3. Next, unscrew the full top cover. There are 3 screws on top, 2 on the side and 2 at back as well as 2x front side.
XAPCRXm.jpg

Remove the support bar
CIjcZEe.jpg

Remove the graphics card + JVS/Dipswitch support PCB
Note: the graphics card is connected to the powerPSU, you have to unplug the power cable.
vhpo4bi.jpg
UAd70oX.jpg

Remove case fan from casing and replace with new fan
Note: mind the direction of the airflow, should be the same as the original ;)
q6vZ5Wc.jpg
jGkdPgR.jpg

MUfcep3.jpg
v78qfcY.jpg

Replacing the CPU fan
Now comes hard part #1, in order to get to the CPU fan (without removing it from the board/cpu), you need to lift the whole motherboard from the casing.
I chose to leave all the power plugs in place; hence I lifted the powerPSU and the motherboard together.
  1. Unscrew, on the side + in the front of the casing 2x2 screws from the powerPSU
  2. Unscrew the 7+ motherboard screws
  3. At the back, inside of the casing the power cables are bundled; open that clip to release the cables from the casing
  4. Lift the mobo + powerPSU together and place them next to the case
  5. Replace the CPU fan - there are 4 screws in the fan itself
oNcrmXC.jpg

Replacing the PowerPSU fans
This is hard part #2 and requires a bit of soldering. I chose to leave the fan cables in place and cut them inside the fan.
*** WARNING : Be careful opening up the PowerPSU ***
  1. Unscrew 2x2 screws on the side of the PSU and 1 on top of the PSU
  2. Unscrew 2x4 screws to remove the fans from the PSU
  3. Cut the original fan wires as close/inside as possible to the fan
  4. Cut the connector from your new fan
  5. Strip the wires of the original wires and the one on your new fan
  6. Connect the red-red and black-black. I choose to solder them, probably more options on how to do this.
  7. Shield the just connected wires from touching each other
  8. Put back the new fans inside the PSU and re-assemble the powerPSU
p794vio.jpg
IdnbTkt.jpg

Reassembling your TTX2 again!
Now reverse all the steps to re-assemble everything. Below a picture where the case fan power cable should be (top) and the CPU fan (bottom).
mw5f73R.jpg

Enjoy the silence :D

Last edited:
Nice, already have some fans on order to do exactly this ;)

Just replaced the fans. The noise whilst the TypeX2 is idle has dropped from ~60dB to ~10dB.

The only thing you can hear now is the fan on the graphics card and when inside the arcade machine it's not audible at all. :thumbsup:

Good stuff, thanks for the infos.

Has anyone done this on a sega Lindbergh
PC fans are pretty generic, I'm sure if you measured them you could find some quieter replacements.

Damn, that makes a difference!!
Just did the install :D

What are your opinions on getting a new case and power supply? Does it "devalue" the hardware? Definitely makes it look better and probably run quieter still.

Just replaced the fans. The noise whilst the TypeX2 is idle has dropped from ~60dB to ~10dB.

The only thing you can hear now is the fan on the graphics card and when inside the arcade machine it's not audible at all. :thumbsup:

Good stuff, thanks for the infos.

PC fans are pretty generic, I'm sure if you measured them you could find some quieter replacements.
The 120MM Case fan on the Lindbergh has a 5 pin connector I believe. Not sure how to go about replacing that.

The 120MM Case fan on the Lindbergh has a 5 pin connector I believe. Not sure how to go about replacing that.
I've changed the case fan in a Lindbergh. Can't remember the number of pins, however, I remember there not being any issue with it running with just 12V and GND connected.

Lindbergh gets crazy hot though. Mine runs much hotter than a X2. I wouldn't put a low RPM fan in it.

Not to hijack this thread with unrelated information but:

I have replaced both the CPU fan with the Stock Intel socket 478 and the case fan. No problems whatsoever. Temperatures inside a SEGA Cab are roughly 85-92 degrees in the 2-4 hour range.

Since the CPU Fan is encased with some hard styrofoam, you either have to conform the styrofoam to fit your replacement fan or remove it altogether. Removing it altogether means you have to have a way to hold your Hard drive in place above the CPU fan or replace it altogether with a different storage solution.

Quiet room levels: 48-50db
Decibel levels: 65-71db
Standard Lindbergh levels: 79-81db
Lindbergh_Quiet.jpg

I've changed the case fan in a Lindbergh. Can't remember the number of pins, however, I remember there not being any issue with it running with just 12V and GND connected.

Lindbergh gets crazy hot though. Mine runs much hotter than a X2. I wouldn't put a low RPM fan in it.
On the Lindbergh Yellow board P2 FAN pins have 4 pins.

1-Red
2-Black
3-Yellow
4-NC

Lindbergh_Case Fan Stock.jpg

On the Lindbergh Yellow board P2 FAN pins have 4 pins.
1-Red
2-Black
3-Yellow
4-NC

Lindbergh_Case Fan Stock.jpg
Ah, thank you for this. I remembered wrong. I guess I can replace that sucker. I'll create a thread in the Lindbergh section with parts and pictures.

Hi,

Would you mind indicating what is the airflow direction of the 3 fans:
PSU : exhaust or intake fan ?
CPU: exhaust or intake fan ?
Case: exhaust or intake fan ?

Is the Scythe mini kase fast enough ? I find the airflow really low comparing to the original fan ?

Last edited:
Just wanted to say a big thank-you to waiwainl for the guide.

I replaced all the fans, same models as indicated and the unit hardly makes any noise at all, similar now to a regular PC.

Does anybody have a line on equivalent fans (40mm)? The Scythes aren't so easy to source without markup these days.

Great write up brother I plan to do the same thing to my rig.

Back