What's new

winteriscoming

Champion
Reaction score
I received a shifter for OR2/ID3 from ebay and it reeks of cigarettes. I've never had this problem. Anyone run into this issue before and have a sure-fire remedy?

The seller followed up telling me he has other parts and wonders if I want anything else. Not if they smell like this...

I honestly wouldn't have even purchased this if I had known up front. :thumbdown:

I'd try soaking it in a bucket of white distilled vinegar for awhile. I did that to a couple of Famicom cases I received that were permeated with smoke smell.

I've had luck with isopropyl rubbing alcohol. It breaks down the tar from cigarette smoke. Just dont let any plastics soak in it.

vinger soap water and a few hrs and let it air dry after wards

Vinegar can kill smells pretty good... Then again by kill, what I really mean is now it will smell like vinegar and not cigs. ;)
I would try the 90% Isopropanol wipe down, then after just reg old soap and water.

If it still reeks after that, bust out the vinegar!

Vinegar can kill smells pretty good... Then again by kill, what I really mean is now it will smell like vinegar and not cigs. ;)
I would try the 90% Isopropanol wipe down, then after just reg old soap and water.

If it still reeks after that, bust out the vinegar!
The vinegar smell does go away after a few hours.

Learn to love it. I like the fact that everything smells like an authentic arcade. I honestly enjoy opening boxes and getting hit in the face with that stale cigarette smell. It's like cracking open a new book.
I suggest wiping donut glaze on your sticks / buttons to add that extra aura of authenticity.

Well, all I can say is Ozone Generator :S

I actually did this once to a townhouse I bought years ago. The prior owners used to cook with a lot of curry and were also smokers. So we tried every known cleaner/cleaning method, we hired professional cleaning companies, etc...Repainted the entire house, twice. It would help, but the strong odors would just come back, nothing short of gutting the house and rebuilding seemed like it would get the smell out.

Finally, resorted to renting powerful, industrial sized ozone generator to flood the entire house for a couple of days, ran the hvac to help move the ozone throughout. Aired out the house for another day, and guess what, something that finally worked, no more curry or cigarette smells anywhere, no more nasty smells really, gave the house another cleaning and done.

If I were to get more cabs that reek of cigarettes, think I will stick them in a shed and run an ozone generator to destroy the cigarette nicotine/tar/whatever residue/stink.

Last edited:
Other thing you could try, since i believe the handles on those are leather, and vinegar or isopropyl might damage the leather if left to soak for a long time....is put it in a bucket, and dump a couple boxes of baking soda on it. Leave it to sit for a few days, and then come back and check again....of course you will need to take it apart and clean, as now the grease will have latched onto the soda....but baking soda is well known for absorbing and neutralizing smells....so it may be worth a shot.

I used some HG Degreaser, used a couple bottles on a cab that reeked of cigarettes

For now it's sealed in a bag with baking soda. I'll do some washing and maybe vinegar after a few days.

Just start smoking and you won't smell it anymore...

:D
i get the urge to start smoking again after I receive a package from Japan.

Seriously, I end up with nicotine stained fingers after cleaning up stuff from Yahoo Auctions Japan.

I received a shifter for OR2/ID3 from ebay and it reeks of cigarettes. I've never had this problem. Anyone run into this issue before and have a sure-fire remedy?

The seller followed up telling me he has other parts and wonders if I want anything else. Not if they smell like this...

I honestly wouldn't have even purchased this if I had known up front. :thumbdown:
Are you soaking the whole shifter? Depending on how thick the tar is on it, you could use simple green. I have done this with mine to rid of the liquid spill, sweat, smoke, dust smell that comes from used cabinets. (Don't forget to re-grease the joints when you're done)

I also like the smell of simple green.

you could use simple green
Every new machine I get I pretty much bathe it in simple green.

For really tough stuff you can let it soak in for a few minutes...

We used this pretty much exclusively in the arcade so to me arcade smell = simple green smell.

man.. so much of my stuff has arrived from YJA with cig smell...
The difficult one to deal with is artworks- especially paper ones T_T

jdmshit-53d2b83777eab.jpg

Back