What's new
I bought an unused CPS2 multi from a friend. Got everything installed including the key writing. Upon boot, the multi flashes a game, it starts briefly then resets and starts flashing again. I was using the longer cable to connect the LCD. Swapped it for the short cable and everything works perfectly. Retried the long cable and it's still faulty. Just wanted to post to say if anyone experiences such resets it may be a bad cable.

I bought an unused CPS2 multi from a friend. Got everything installed including the key writing. Upon boot, the multi flashes a game, it starts briefly then resets and starts flashing again. I was using the longer cable to connect the LCD. Swapped it for the short cable and everything works perfectly. Retried the long cable and it's still faulty. Just wanted to post to say if anyone experiences such resets it may be a bad cable.
could be your voltage is on the low end?
how is the 5v?

could be your voltage is on the low end?how is the 5v?
That was my first thought. It was originally reading around 4.85 at the JAMMA connector, so I bumped it up to 5.0 and then 5.1 with no success. I then tried powering down right after the flash and rebooting without the LCD attached. Game booted fine that way so then I retried with the shorter cable and was able to flash and play multiple games successfully. So yeah, pretty sure the longer cable is defective.

Yeah must be the cable then? Shorted? I have been running with the long cable since I have the kit and not a single issue :)

Yeah must be the cable then? Shorted? I have been running with the long cable since I have the kit and not a single issue :)
Right. I've not heard of such problems before so it's probably just my cable. I didn't check it pin by pin though.

Just a thought: it would probably be better not to use the black tubing around the ribbon cable as it may put undue pressure on it, particularly near the connectors.

Same issue here re long black tubing cable. In my case it prevented things from working at all.

I agree re wrapping a flat ribbon cable into a tube, it puts stress on the wires and can cause problems.

Back