What's new
Tried all your steps (including formatting 2 different microsd cards) and still the same symptom.
are you sure that both A and B boards were working properly before?

Also I assume you are using the previous firmware that doesn't need keys writing, right? That's the firmware that the multi came with.

Yes, Tried the board right before I did the modification.

I haven't done any firmware updates so I'm assuming it doesn't need keys writing.

and you are using the romsets for dead boards, right? You removed the battery, etc.?

I still think it's a connection problem. Something is not sitting properly. @Mitsurugi-w what do you think?

I can look at it. If he has tried everything else he can think of its the next step.

Physically look at it? I wouldn't mind shipping it to you to see what's going on.

Hi, I installed a Darksoft CPS2 and I'm getting a solid green screen when booting it up.

Donor Board: Formerly Marvel vs Capcom (as I was told)
PCB Revision: 93646B-7
-All the jumpers look correct.
-I understand MvC comes with a PAL-G chip.
-I have not yet wired up the auto-reset.

When I turn it on, it detects the Micro SD Card and will say "Now Playing...", but regardless I'm greeted with a solid green screen. I do not have any other cards on hand to test since all my other Micro SD cards were not detected in the first place.

The Micro SD card I'm using now is a generic unlabeled 4GB card. I've formated it to fat32 and tried re-writing to it multiple times.

I've attempted to "short exc5" which I understand is just holding a piece of metal to the 3 pins on the bottom side of the PCB while the system is off for several seconds (correct me if I misunderstood), and that doesn't seem to help the problem.

I know in the picture it looks like the interconnect is a bit lopsided, but I've since then tried pushing down both PCBs and the interconnect but everything seems about as snug as it's going to get.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• pcb-1.png
    pcb-1.png
    897.1 KB · Views: 240
  • pcb-2.png
    pcb-2.png
    920.6 KB · Views: 249
  • pcb-3.png
    pcb-3.png
    807.9 KB · Views: 244
  • pcb-4.png
    pcb-4.png
    897.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
the tiny board that interconnects the other two pcbs of the keit seems not to be sitting properly. Check that and make sure that you shortcut exc5 to delete any possible keys ( with the power off!)

@Mitsurugi-w

I would say load a game. Turn off the system and remove the card then power up again and see if the game boots.

You didn't apply the most recent FW yourself yet did you?

Hi,

I've been using my CPS2 multi for over a year with the old firmware without problems. I did the modification for the new firmware (with key writing) and it worked fine until today: green screen when trying to load a game. I checked the solder points, continuity in the cables, formatted the SD and copied all the roms again (roms that I got here from SmokeMonster's thread), tried another SD, but still same symptom. I then reverted back to the old firmware, now decrypted roms load but the screen doesn't display anything. It lights up, the buttons work, but nothing is displayed.
Voltage was stable all the way at 5.03V

So my two questions:
-Is there a way to fix the LCD screen?
-If I flash the new firmware again, where should I start looking to avoid the green screen?

Thanks!

Damn it, it really was something just not making proper contact, lol. I reseated the interconnect and made some more effort to push down the PCBs and the system is working now. Thanks @Darksoft @Mitsurugi-w

So my two questions:
-Is there a way to fix the LCD screen?
-If I flash the new firmware again, where should I start looking to avoid the green screen?
Make sure the LCD cable and all LCD connectors are udamaged.

I wonder if your key had gotten corrupted somehow. Shorting EXC5 could fix that issue before you write a new key.

Thanks for you answer Mistsurugi.

-LCD connectors are not damaged, but I can't exclude the cable went bad (even if it's been working ok for over year).
-I'm excluding the SD card as a problem, since decrypted roms are loading fine with the old firmware

Can I order a new cable from you guys?
I'll fix the screen first and focus on new firmware and key writing when it's fixed.

Thanks

Do you have any other multis or have someone nearby to help you test your LCD and cable?

Not easily, but yes I could eventually test locally. I'll try that and get back to you after tests.
Thanks.

For starters I would shortcut EXC5. It's a good solution both with new and old firmware. See if that green screen dissapears.

Let's try to solve it online. If not we have great members also from Norway that could probably help.

Back