What's new

freddiefiasco

Professional
Reaction score
What is your best method of verifying that an eprom chip has been written? Also, before you burn data, what is your process to compare the data to burn against the data that is currently on the eprom?

For example, I have eprom #9 on a SF2:WW and it currently contains data. I read the data to a file. I want to re-burn this data back to the eprom (after erasing of course) but I want to validate that I burned the eprom properly by comparing with a known dump of the eprom. At this point, my only source is MAME dumps but I feel this is not the best approach.

I'm probably not making any sense but I'm just curious what you all do to verify eprom data in general.

Thanks

Why wouldn't you compare to MAME dumps?

I have a 7Zip installed, which gives you a context menu to calculate hashes. Then I compare the checksum to a mame dump. Back when MameDB used to be up, you could compare the CRC online, but nowadays I just download the ROM and compare.

Why wouldn't you compare to MAME dumps?

I have a 7Zip installed, which gives you a context menu to calculate hashes. Then I compare the checksum to a mame dump. Back when MameDB used to be up, you could compare the CRC online, but nowadays I just download the ROM and compare.
I'm not saying I wouldn't, I currently do this.

Most likely (for most games) MAME is going to be the most accurate source you can find. They are pretty strict about their dumping standards.

I compare the ROMs online. Nothing special about it but I use this site; http://romident.coinopflorida.com/

You can install and integrate ROMIdent directly with your EPROM burner software but I'm lazy enough to just use the above web site :)

Back