What's new

neurokinetik

Beginner
Reaction score
I am working on a DDSOM board set for a friend. It is a South America version. This was a board he got as part of a "mixed lot" of CPS2 boards. The board had the battery replaced before I got my hands on it, and it also looks like the jumpers were changed. I have never gotten anything out of it but a blank blue-green screen.

Here is what I know:

• I found the correct jumper settings and corrected them. It has an F-PAL, which is correct for this board set.
  • It has the original mask ROMs in place for positions 11-20.
  • The EPROMs in positions 3-10 were a mixed bag of various manufacturers. I have enough Hitachi HN27C4096G-12 to replace all of them. The sound ROMs were Sony CXK27C1000DQ-15. I burned Hitachi HN27C101AG-12 to replace them, as my burner does not have a listing for the Sony devices and I wasn't 100% certain that using one of the substitute chip settings was working properly.
  • The A board is filthy, but I at least get the fan spinning when I power it up. The B Board case looks like somebody used it as a hockey puck, but internally it looks ok.
  • No bent or missing pins on the board interconnections.

Things I have tried:

• Obtained the MAME ROMS for DDSOMH and burned a full set. They all verified successfully once burned.
  • Performed the de-suicide procedure.
  • Tried Razoola's suicide check ROM in position3 with the battery disconnected and the capacitor discharged.

Nothing I have done has given me a different result.

In addition, I've had no success in even burning any ROMs for the different versions of this game. For example, trying the pheonix ROMs (DDSOMUD set from Emu Paradise), I can't get ROM 3 to burn (Write failed, Address=0x000002, Buffer=0x66 Device=0xFF). I always do a blank check before burning, and a verify after, and have been erasing using the UV eraser.

I am using a GQ-4x4 burner with an external power supply. It passes all of the diagnostics. For the HN27C4096G EPROMs, I am using the adapter as required. The adapter is not required for the HN27C101AG ROMs.

Do I need to use a different file format (default is .bin, options are ) Read Mode (default is Normal - but have options of Even Byte, Odd Byte, 1st Byte of 4, 2nd Byte of 4, 3rd Byte of 4) Fill Mode (default is Normal - options are Fill 'FF' or Fill '00')?

Is there anything I am missing here?

Have you tried different A board to confirm it's working correctly?

Did you also make sure to set the jumper near the battery to completely suicide the board before you did the desuicide procedure?

Have you tried different A board to confirm it's working correctly?

Did you also make sure to set the jumper near the battery to completely suicide the board before you did the desuicide procedure?
This is the only CPS2 board set I have at the moment, so no. Being the South America version of course also makes it more difficult to find another test candidate. I did discharge the caps near the battery.

I'm tempted to throw my multikit on it to try to isolate it to a board or ROM issue, though I'd rather test my multikit on a known good boardset (one is on the way) first.

For example, trying the pheonix ROMs (DDSOMUD set from Emu Paradise), I can't get ROM 3 to burn (Write failed, Address=0x000002, Buffer=0x66 Device=0xFF).
With different eproms?
Five different HN27C4096G-12, all same result. Yet I can successfully burn the original DDSOMH roms to these chips, along with the Razoola suicide test program.

Ended up throwing the multikit on it to see what would happen. It worked 100%, so it looks like a ROM issue at this point.

Burn a different region if necessary, the set for South America might be broken somehow

Last edited:
So you say it has a battery? Then it may not be suicided. If it is still live then decrypted roms will not work on it.

Burn a different region if necessary, the set for South America might be broken somehow
I'm going to give it a shot again, using the Euro ROMs, which seem to be the parent set for this game.

No suggestions on the read/write modes for the burner? Use defaults?

So you say it has a battery? Then it may not be suicided. If it is still live then decrypted roms will not work on it.
HAD a battery. That was removed when I tried the multikit. I'll put it back on and re-do the encryption key again once I get a set of ROMs successfully burned.

Found a couple of things. Popping off the ROMs to install the multikit revealed a damaged socket, for ROM 19, pin 32. Secondly, I think my ROM burning woes are due to leaving EPROMs in the eraser for too long.

Just a followup, as I got this thing running 100%. The ROM socket was just one of many problems here. The biggest culprit was that battery replacement that was done before I took possession of the board damaged the traces such that there is a broken connection somewhere on one of the inner layers of the board. So the board is not getting battery voltage even with a good battery.

My ROM issue turned out to be a bad adapter board for my GQ4x4. I figured this out when I was burning ROMs that didn't use the adapter: they worked 100%, while the ones that use the adapter (like the HN27C4096) would fail every time. New adapter and no more issues. ROMs I thought I had killed by leaving in the eraser too long are actually all ok.

Ended up just removing the battery and going with Phoenix ROMs.

Damn someone did a number on that board, I didn't think it was even possible to damage a board removing a CPS2 battery. Glad to see it's working now. Good candidate for a multi setup since it can't be revived back to original

Just wanted to post on here because I was having a similar issue. My ADP-054 adapter board was the issue as well, some of the pins on the zif slot weren't even soldered into the main pcb. I soldered them in and my 27C4096 flashes now using the D27C4096 profile with GQ4x4 :).

Last edited:
Back