What's new
How hot is recommended? My iron is adjustable. I usually run it around 700c which is pretty hot.

Jesus Holy Mary mother of God, hell to the no, 700c is way too hot!

Pending your solder wire somewhere around 280 to 350.

Do soldering irons even go up that high? Surely you mean 700F which is ~375C which is still too hot....

I run mine at 200C - leaded solder is very soft and shouldn't need more than 200-250C

Haha, oops. 700F sorry guys :).

All you metric guys and your "Celsiuses" are messing me up :D. Let's pretend I'm smarter than I sound (I'd have to be), and say maybe back it down to 600F.

Wind it down further, 400F should be fine, 500F maximum, leaded solder has a very low melting point and it burns if you have the iron up too high

Lead free solder needs higher temperature but you really shouldn't be using that, the solder on all arcade boards is leaded so you should use the same

I guess I'm impatient. More heat, more power, that sort of thing. I question the accuracy of the heat sensor in my iron, but not the consistency. I've been using lead free solder for years as well. No problems with it and I don't feel dumber every time I use it. I do have some lead solder I could break out and give it a try.

Lead free solder is fine as long as you're not mixing it with leaded solder. The 2 different compositions and melting temperatures means that you end up with cracked/dry joints a lot of the time.

Lead free also doesn't last as long which is why you find modern electronics don't last as long. Not to mention it's a huge bastard to clean up if it's been used for SMD rework...

If the board is brand new you're fine to use lead free if it's your preference, but I don't recommend it.

Lead free and leaded solder mix just fine. In fact, adding leaded solder to lead free helps in lowering the melting point.

Let's not forget that the Sn part of solder is present in leaded and lead free solder. My Weller solder station is set between 400 and 450 (maximum) as temperature. (That's celcius)

Not only the temperature itself is important, but also how well the solder iron tip keeps it's temperature if you touch the point you intend to solder.

A "to low" temperature is worse than a "to high" one. You will start to add mechanical pressure as the solder doesn't melt properly and you will eventually damage the pcb during the process.

Reactions: nem
Thanks guys, appreciate all the great info. I'll experiment a bit and see what I like. I've probably soldered ~700 circuit boards for various reasons and tons of wiring over the years so it's not like this is my first project.

Back