What's new
ME!!!
No one seems to believe me, or agree with me... But CF kits suck, GD rom kits suck, netbooting sucks!
We need a proper flashcart pure and simple, and I'm totally willing to drop 500$ on such a device.
exactly this!

I would take one for sure!

I'd be interested if the cost was low enough and/or if games retained high scores between switching.

I don't mind the SUN PSUs and the DIMM equipment, the only thing that bothers me with CF/Net-Booting is that if I change games my high scores and other play data disappears.
I would buy one. Net booting is sweet but this would be MUUUUCH sweeter.

I would be IN ! I have a naomi setup I was thinking of selling because it's such a hassle.... a flashcart solution would be so nice to have.

No idea if this is viable but I'm just going to throw this out there:
I wonder if it's be easier to make an Atomiswave Multi and then port the NAOMI games to that.

It's way more compact hardware, no I/O board needed, just regular plug and play JAMMA and the hardware costs about as much as a Capcom I/O alone.

Considering most people here seem to be interested in this because they want a more "streamlined" and easy to use NAOMI... an Atomiswave seems to better fit that goal.

Not to mention it would offer a multi solution for a piece of hardware where one doesn't already exist.

No idea if this is viable but I'm just going to throw this out there:
I wonder if it's be easier to make an Atomiswave Multi and then port the NAOMI games to that.

It's way more compact hardware, no I/O board needed, just regular plug and play JAMMA and the hardware costs about as much as a Capcom I/O alone.

Considering most people here seem to be interested in this because they want a more "streamlined" and easy to use NAOMI... an Atomiswave seems to better fit that goal.

Not to mention it would offer a multi solution for a piece of hardware where one doesn't already exist.
Interesting Idea. I'm assuming bios items would be handled via the cart or hard coded with the conversion but that's just an idea

Any reason the Atomiswave games (that are converted) couldn't just being part of a Naomi multi? I don't have either, but I think that's a thing... right?

not sure how the AW could support Naomi Games..

the AW is basically a Dreamcast with Jamma interface, the Naomi has upgraded hardware.. for example the Naomi has 32MB RAM and 16MB Graphic RAM (twice the amount of the DC or AW)

Ps: I would be also willing to buy a AW multi thought :)

the Naomi has upgraded hardware
I didn't realize the NAOMI had more powerful hardware, everything I'd read comparing the two it seemed as though the Atomiswave was specced the same. I was under the impression that it was just a NAOMI retooled for a smaller/cheaper footprint (similar to the "slim" console releases)

It's also my understanding that the AW is not as "beefy" as the NAOMI.

Personally I'm fine with netbooting for now, but if a decent flash cart came out that could be powered by the stock capcom IO (and potentailly saved sram / scores) I'd probably buy a couple depending on the price point.

All good ideas guys, so far the features wanted are:

Soft Menu (On screen)
Save Settings/High Scores
Faster Boot/Load Time
Lower Power Consumption (so it can be used with stock Capcom IO)

I would like to see onboard support for a reset feature of the naomi for the AW game conversions that still freeze/lock up the naomi.

Last edited:
I'd be happy with a USB flash cart with a single game on if it ment I could run it on a Capcom IO in a jamma cab.

Nothing fancy, like the ones you used to get for gameboy's from bung.

I didn't realize the NAOMI had more powerful hardware, everything I'd read comparing the two it seemed as though the Atomiswave was specced the same.
It's also my understanding that the AW is not as "beefy" as the NAOMI.
NAOMI, SystemSP and Dreamcast dev.kit is "full power" systems: have 32MB main RAM, 16MB video RAM, 8MB sound RAM
Dreamcast and Atomiswave is cheap/low power/cost reduced hardware versions, they have 16MB main RAM, 8MB video, 2MB sound RAM. btw AW mobo even have very similar to DC layout.
as you may imagine it is not possible to port anything to weaker systems, without significant game RE and redesign.

My crappy label/cart mock up :D

darksoft naomi multi cart small.jpg

I'll be down for one or two given that it save score in between game select, load fast, and reasonable price (and hopefully the Canadian dollar regain some value. the conversion rate killing me) I am in no hurry as the BC restore will keep me busy and these will be used on them.

Hey you stole my idea!

:D

You know I'm in for one. With a menu and a shell and label too.

:thumbsup:

I would suspect that the load times will be consistent with the load times from a normal cart. As soon as you select the game in the menu, the multicart starts loading to the Naomi, just like a normal cart. This saves time from net booting as you won't need to wait for the game to load from the computer/RasPi to the net dimm, and then to the Naomi. I wonder if there is a way to skip the memory test, as that would decrease the start up times considerably.

My crappy label/cart mock up :D

darksoft naomi multi cart small.jpg
That looks great already!!!

Last edited:
Back