What's new

yavuzg

Professional
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just wanted to share the outcome of my latest project: NES2JAMMA

First let me tell you that I'm not a big fan of putting game consoles in arcade cabinets. But playing NES games in front of an arcade cabinet is not that weird because of Playchoice 10 systems.

I know there are similar projects (not so many though) floating around the internet but never had a clear schematics or detailed info regarding how it works etc. So I decided to share the information so that anybody willing to do it could save time on reading lots of datasheets and choosing the right IC. I do not say that it is the perfect design (I'm sure many improvements can be made) but the outcome is quite satisfactory and playing an NES with arcade controls infront of an arcade cabinet is fun :D

Here is the schematics of the circuit I came up to amplify the video and audio... I used TLS1233 and LM1881 for the video amplification part, a basic LM384 for the audio amplification part and CD4021 shift registers as arcade controls encoder for NES.

NES-TO-JAMMA_zpsx7bg48xu.png

And this is the PCB I've made based on the above schematic.

IMG_1647_zpssjyyrbol.jpg

For this to work you need an NES console which can output RGB video. Alternatives are:

1) French NES: French NES consoles output RGB over SCART. It is actually the Composite Video decoded and separated into its R G B components not a PPU generated native RGB but quality is OK.
2) RGB Modded NES: You have two options here. You can either mod your NES with a PC10 PPU or mod it with a NESRGB kit (which I did) without sacrificing an arcade system.

I've tested both (French NES, NESRGB modded NTSC NES) and am quite happy with the results...

French NES:

IMG_1637_zps314uljzg.jpg

IMG_1636_zpsylegiigh.jpg

NESRGB Modded NES:

IMG_1699_zpspewbtlpw.jpg

IMG_1734_zpsfqnqocmf.jpg

IMG_1735_zpsgnv1n1ls.jpg

IMG_1736_zpswgsfjkze.jpg

You can also play VS games on this system. Thanks to Krikzz Everdrive N8 :D

IMG_1766_zpsci1vdwwl.jpg

Attachments

• NES-TO-JAMMA.png
    NES-TO-JAMMA.png
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited:
"And this is the PCB I've made based on the above schematic." When are you bringing this to the masses? where is the pre-order line?:)

I'm in for one on the pre-order :)

"And this is the PCB I've made based on the above schematic." When are you bringing this to the masses? where is the pre-order line?:)
never thought to mass produce this :)

I make my prototype PCBs at home. Sometimes I make, say 4-8 just to share with my friends but since this PCB is big, I only made two. I even hand soldered the vias (the holes connecting bottom and top layer of the PCB) since I do not have the through hole copper plating capability at home :)

If anyone is interested I can share the ExpressPCB file though...

BTW, here is the link to the youtube video. There you can see and hear (although the volume is too low and muffled) the circuit in action.

Youtube video

Absolutely absolutely fantastic! Very clean schematic and design.

It would be cool if you shared the expressPCB file / project files on github or similar :)

Huh. Missed this on the first goaround. Would definitely be interested in a PCB file I could send out for production. Might use this to make a Vs Castlevania repro cabinet some day, god knows I have enough NESes hanging around...

I know this is old but I would love the pcb file as well
I have a NES here that I would love to do this with
Thanks

Guys thanks for your kind comments...

It is a very old project and infact its still in operation in that cabinet in my game room. Its design, as I said earlier, definitely is not the best BUT it sure works...

Attached zip contains the PCB design files (and couple of custom shape files). However, it is in ExpressPCB format which I quit using that designer while ago (I use KiCAD for the last 2-3 years). So it is as it is... I believe you can convert it to more popular deign applications...

You can use it for free ;)

Attachments

• _NES-to-JAMMA.rar
    111.2 KB · Views: 108
Back