What's new

Tytris

Student
Reaction score
I realize that the 246/256 are both based on the PS2, however is there a way to use the USB port on the system to load a boot loader similar to PCSX on ps2 ?

I know the first gen 246 boards (a and b) use a regular spec ps2 board with a Namco daughter board, so they would be equal to a retail ps2 in spec.

As far as the 246c and the 256, I do not know if the usb ports are even active in the system since they use a JVS I/O on them.

The 246c should be the same spec as the earlier versions but just a single combined motherboard which integrates a ps2 main board and Namco daughter board into one.

The challenge to this would be to run the system in such a mode that would allow an external source to have access to it, I do not know if that's possible, but of course that's all speculation.

Appreciate the info, I do happen to have a 246(b), so I wasn't sure if it would work. I am tempted to setup a usb stick however with the fact it doesn't boot into a ps2 OS similar to the 350/360 series not sure if it would even work (or brick).

I know the first gen 246 boards (a and b) use a regular spec ps2 board with a Namco daughter board, so they would be equal to a retail ps2 in spec.

As far as the 246c and the 256, I do not know if the usb ports are even active in the system since they use a JVS I/O on them.

The 246c should be the same spec as the earlier versions but just a single combined motherboard which integrates a ps2 main board and Namco daughter board into one.

The challenge to this would be to run the system in such a mode that would allow an external source to have access to it, I do not know if that's possible, but of course that's all speculation.
That's not possible. The system will only boot from a previously valdated dongle. If someone has enough time, they could make such a dongle that would include a menu and would allow to load many games from a HDD. On addition to the donge, you'd need to modify each game so it would boot from a HDD (with file system) insted of RAW HDD or CD or DVD. Looks simple, ehh? :thumbup:

Does explain alot, so in that aspect does the system preload games or is constantly accessing the data on the cd rom?

If only there was a way to perfectly emulate IDE optical drives like scsi2sd.

System 246 rack C does indeed use both usb connections. One on the right side is for JVS.
The left one tucked away a bit deeper above the power connector is used for a lan-egg to connect to other machines via a hub.

Back