What's new
I assume the 0x2182 was created as a test. (My first attempt to get it fixed)

@obcd, The settings you gave me worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the Triforce is still giving me Error 31. I tested the burned PIC on my 512MB Triforce and it works just fine.

I'm wondering what other options I have aside from having a GD ROM update disc to run (if this is one solution).

If I swapped out the Network board on the 1GB Triforce with one from a 512MB, will this have any problems? I'm wondering if I can try to flash the board this way...

I matched the jumper settings to the 512MB. If the 1GB model needs different jumper settings I would not have any idea. what they are.
Could it maybe be that by matching jumpers to your other one that you've put it in 512MB mode and need to remove a DIMM now?

Does the unit have a working DIMM backup battery? It might be worth unplugging it. I've had issues on Chihiro with the battery plugged in that would no longer hold a charge.

Don't you need at least 3.02 for netbooting?
I'd be curious to know if Triforce firmware versions correlate to NAOMI as I thought the 3.02 requirement was for NAOMI. I'm not up on my history of the official functionality that lead to netbooting, but was the Triforce released prior to that functionality being rolled out?

I don't think I recorded it, but I kind of remember one of my Triforce units coming with low firmware on the main board. I know for sure that it wouldn't allow me to change regions in the test menu. I could change regions after I updated the firmware (via netbooting).

I matched the jumper settings to the 512MB. If the 1GB model needs different jumper settings I would not have any idea. what they are.
Could it maybe be that by matching jumpers to your other one that you've put it in 512MB mode and need to remove a DIMM now?
Does the unit have a working DIMM backup battery? It might be worth unplugging it. I've had issues on Chihiro with the battery plugged in that would no longer hold a charge.

Don't you need at least 3.02 for netbooting?
I'd be curious to know if Triforce firmware versions correlate to NAOMI as I thought the 3.02 requirement was for NAOMI. I'm not up on my history of the official functionality that lead to netbooting, but was the Triforce released prior to that functionality being rolled out?
I don't think I recorded it, but I kind of remember one of my Triforce units coming with low firmware on the main board. I know for sure that it wouldn't allow me to change regions in the test menu. I could change regions after I updated the firmware (via netbooting).
No idea what the 1GB settings would be but I did try removing one DIMM (and used the 512MB from the other Triforce too) and powered it up. However, I did not bother to check the test menu to see how much memory is being reported. I will try this today along with unplugging the backup battery. I did swap backup batteries thinking I was doing something useful but it did not matter. I will try without the battery plugged in today.

If it is the case where the firmware on the board is too low, I think my only option at that point is an update disc (or if it's possible, using a network board on another Triforce to do the update, if this is a thing)

Thanks for the tips!

I can tell you have a Type 3 Triforce with a lower FW then it will not say 'Checking Network'. It will give an error screen. At this point you can simply send the netboot file and the Triforce should load it even though it doesn't acknowledge it is loading. It will then reboot and prompt you to update. I used Transfergame to do this. It drove me mad for many days until I found this out. As long as you don't have error 26 this should work for you.

You can access the media board menu to set the Network parameters, correct? If so you should be good to go.

I can tell you have a Type 3 Triforce with a lower FW then it will not say 'Checking Network'. It will give an error screen. At this point you can simply send the netboot file and the Triforce should load it even though it doesn't acknowledge it is loading. It will then reboot and prompt you to update. I used Transfergame to do this. It drove me mad for many days until I found this out. As long as you don't have error 26 this should work for you.

You can access the media board menu to set the Network parameters, correct? If so you should be good to go.
You are correct. It will not say 'Checking Network' then Error 31.

Can you send the netboot file without being able to ping the device. I am able to set the network parameters. I cannot ping the device from the PC I was planning to use transfergame.exe on.

I will try this today thanks!

I use ping & dns on my android phone. I check for open ports 10702 and 10703 on the ip of the target that should receive the game.
If the netdimm is waiting for a connection, it should have an open tcp port. (Can't remember which one they use)
To my knowledge, the netdimm should be pingable as well.

Oddly, when I plug in the ethernet cable, it does show LED activity. I did run a ping scan on every device connected to my network and it does not show the device as pingable. I will try further to see how far I can get. Thanks.

that looks to me like a Windows config problem. Different types of adapters, protocols, security, etc.

You probably got your wifi maybe Ethernet clashes there with up addresses.

that looks to me like a Windows config problem. Different types of adapters, protocols, security, etc.

You probably got your wifi maybe Ethernet clashes there with up addresses.
Hmm, I'll try a different IP address to see if this is the case as well.
I must be losing my mind. I didn't have to change IP's. I just booted it back up and the IP is pingable. Whether the IP was clashing with another device a couple days ago, it isn't anymore. That's a good thing.

I was in the process of testing different jumper settings, swapping out DIMM and even the network board. As @Mitsurugi-w suggested, run transfergame even without the 'Checking network' message gets me to the flash update while the Error message is showing.

Thank you all for your feedback and insight on this issue.

Here are some pics of the journey for your entertainment:
triforce2.jpg

Attachments

• triforce2a.jpg
    triforce2a.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think there really was any problem.

Here is what I did as soon as I received the console:

1. Powered it up with the GD-ROM to verify it actually works. (It turned on)
2. Powered it up with Virtual Striker GD-ROM (It ran)
3. Took a Zero PIC from a working Triforce, popped it in, Changed SW1-2 to OFF (Same as SW1-1)
4. Powered it up and changed Network settings to Ethernet and adjusted IP values
5. Exited test menu and rebooted
6. Error 31 appeared
7. I tried pinging the IP address that I entered in the test menu (could not ping)
8. Swapped DIMM, swapped Battery, Changed Jumpers to different orientation, burned new PIC (worked on other Triforce), etc.
9. Waited a day to fester and think about why it wasn't working

10. Powered it up again and pinged the same exact IP address I gave to the triforce and it Ping'd.
11. I ran transfergame even with the Error 31 message on the screen and it flashed.

During step #6 I did actually try to run transfergame but because it was unpingable at the time, I was stuck. But for whatever reason unknown to me, when I tried steps 6-7 again last night it ping'd.

So I have no idea but for all the years I was taught to troubleshoot error messages, step #6 stopped me from doing anything further because it was an error.

Yeah the error message drove me nuts until I realized the older firmwares did not have the checking network message at all. I think I even told Darksoft how frustrated I was in a fit of rage. lol. But it all works now for me too so glad to pass on the knowledge.

Would the same go for a Naomi 2 net dimm on 2.06?

Command prompt just goes back to command line after it says connecting.

Naomi does nothing sits on error 31

I have successful pings and also tried -f

This is through my router also because I couldn't figure out crossover direct to PC win10

I will try and let it sit for a while tomorrow maybe it is working

I bought a Type 3 Triforce 512M yesterday and encounted the same problem Error31.
Boot version 2.03
Firm version 0.44
FPGA version 7.09
Media board firm version 1.01
Network firm version 13.05
I decided to upgrade the system.
I can upload Fzero-AX game sucessfully but when i tried to upload the "Triforce_Firm_v3.12_TYPE3_ONLY.BIN" , It only shows the Error31. What should i do next? Thanks.

Would the same go for a Naomi 2 net dimm on 2.06?

Command prompt just goes back to command line after it says connecting.

Naomi does nothing sits on error 31

I have successful pings and also tried -f

This is through my router also because I couldn't figure out crossover direct to PC win10

I will try and let it sit for a while tomorrow maybe it is working
Worth a shot to try. I was on 2.03. Follow the same process on post #35 I did and let us know how that goes.

I bought a Type 3 Triforce 512M yesterday and encounted the same problem Error31.
Boot version 2.03
Firm version 0.44
FPGA version 7.09
Media board firm version 1.01
Network firm version 13.05
I decided to upgrade the system.
I can upload Fzero-AX game sucessfully but when i tried to upload the "Triforce_Firm_v3.12_TYPE3_ONLY.BIN" , It only shows the Error31. What should i do next? Thanks.
Post #35 has the steps I followed and was successful on three with version 2.03.

Back