What's new

complexz

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've had a old dead asian marvel vs capcom setup for awhile so I decided to finally make use of it and get this multicart setup.

anyway upon opening up MVC I see that it is not the cool rev 7 g pal MVC board I was expecting, but a rev4 board with a G pal with the soldered mod exactly like the gigawing example from mitsurugiW's Video.

I figure I should be good to go with the mod already done but upon installation I get crazy all over the place sound effects all the time, Very similar to the ones in Mitsurugi's video before he connects the G pal pin to the multicart.

Just to make sure I tried touching a wire to the 9th pin of the gpal and the pin on the multicart while the game was running and there was no effect.

Thanks doods
hope I am no overlooking anything stupid

oh yes sorry I forgot to mention the whole step of setting all the jumpers, I used your video as a reference for how I set all the jumpers. I'll double check them after work and report back thanks.

I assumed the setup would be straightforward because I had mvc, so with my attempt at running the setup I assumed my Jumpers were already set, but upon powerup I got nothing but a solid color. I cross referenced my jumper settings with the ones in the video and noticed mine were set differently, assuming this was my problem I corrected the jumpers and that still didn't solve my problem. I was just an idiot and had the little ribbon cable pcb inverted.

Had I connected the little bridge PCB correctly I would have had my setup working fine sound and all. reverting my jumper settings to what they were originally fixed the sound. Only the jumpers on the left side of the PCB were different on mine.

the left top group of jumpers on my original settings were OOOO then for the 2 jumpers bellow were also OO, then the six jumpers next to the socket marked 12 were set like this OOOSOS

Which is pretty different from the video which appears to be (in the same order) 0SSO SO OSOSOS

I know nothing about CPS2 obviously so I don't know why my settings work and the others don't...But I am overjoyed to have this thing working :)

So thanks alot mitsu for steering me in the right direction, sorry if this is redundant info guys. I just thought you might like to know details in case this is unusual.

i have a similar/same problem. By now I have three kits and two boards, so enough possibilities to test ;) (finally)

symptoms: the game loads the wrong sounds. e.g. street fighter alpha 2 normally boots with the sound "this is street fighter alpha 3", in my case it says "congratulations *laughter*". @complexz: maybe you can test that game and describe the sound you get when you boot it? with frequent sounds it sound crazy (like bullets in 1944 sound weird).

problem identification: the problem in my config is the gameboard (b board) since i tested the kit and motherboard on another gameboard and vice versa. it was a dead capcom sports club. before it died i saw it working once so i guess the board should have been error free at least at that time. i had to set the jumpers right, checked them three times and beeped them so i am pretty sure it is not the jumpers in my case.

possible cause: when i married the board with the kit, i initially used the pal f soldering pin 7 as described in the manual. since it had sound problems, i replaced the pal f with the pal g. yet, the sound issues persisted.

cause exclusion: sd card (tested 2, same symptoms), motherboard&kit (tested 2, same symptoms), bad game rom (tested several games)

questions:
  1. is using the pal f initially a plausible cause?
  2. can i fix this with a different jumper config or if i replace the soundfiles in the rom somehow?

PAL F banks the sound address space with 2MB ROMs in mind. If you flashed a game with 8MB sound roms and then load a game with 2MB or 4MB ROMs it will map the flashes wrong and stuff will be read at wrong addresses, making wrong samples be played.

You have to use a G pal unfortunately.

Hm, I think I'm in this boat.

Rev 4 board. G pal from mitsu. When I first set up the board I didn't play much, was just happy it booted and seemed to work.

Now I'm paying more attention and noticing the wrong sound fx are playing, at least. Shorkuken is "yoga f" so that's not right!! I think the music is correct but I will check that too. I will check jumpers, but I was 99% sure I had them set when I did the install. I'll write in if I find anything that solves it, just dropping a note here if anyone has any other ideas.

but I was 99% sure I had them set when I did the install
I would recommend checking again with a multimeter, some of these jumpers can appear to be open but when tested they actually show shorted/closed.
You might even need to scrape a little with an exacto blade between the solder blobs to ensure the connection is severed/broken.

Yep. I'm hoping I just missed one. i recall they were tough to sever completely

finally found time to test. i tested three different pal g (two from the italian shop on atmel, one original from a dead board) on two different boards. all pal g work fine on one board and have the same sound issues on the other board. i tested the jumpers with a multimeter. what shall my next steps be?

edit:
resoldered all jumpers, retested with beeper. fine. retested pal f with wire, retested different sd card: both times same result... can the donor board be broken? it was a capcom sports club version 7 with pal f.

Last edited:
finally found time to test. i tested three different pal g (two from the italian shop on atmel, one original from a dead board) on two different boards. all pal g work fine on one board and have the same sound issues on the other board. i tested the jumpers with a multimeter. what shall my next steps be?
did you use the same multi on both tests? Also the same A Board? In that case problem lies in your B Board :)

tested 2 kits on two a boards with 2 boards, so 8 tests alltogether. those with the one specific b board failed. i still don't get why... before the board died it was working correctly. the sound itself is good, it just loads the wrong files... do i require different jumper settings? a different pal?

why do you think it loads the wrong files? Are you listeningn music from another game or graphics from another game? I'm pretty sure it's an issue with that B Board having some cold solder or wrong configuration.

true, i also think it is the b board. it loads wrong sound files from the flashed game. thing is, it loaded the correct sounds before it died... back then, it held most of the eproms on a daughterboard (93646C-3). could that be a reason? that it has a different default configuration to load sound differently? has anybody here ever combined such a dead game with a kit?

Has to be a problem with the set of sound jumpers of some kind.

Bummer is the sound jumpers are the ones underneath the multi pcb I think!

maybe it would be good to have a blacklist? as long as no one else tested capcom sports club (u) with abovementioned daughterbord i would like to add that one as prolematic regarding sound.

Well mine is a darkstalker rev4 with a G pal. I think mine is a jumpers issue. I wonder if the same sounds are wrong. I'll shoot a video of a game and post it later, you can see if the same game at least plays the same wrong sounds.

Every B-board will work as long as it is properly functioning to begin with and it is set up properly. I think you have simply overlooked something minor.

Welp, I'm a noob but I'm stumped here. I'm using a rev.4 board, and set the jumpers to SOOS_SO_OSOSOS_SOSOSOSO_SOSOSOSO. Checked them for continuity multiple times. I have the G Pal pin 9 connected to the DS board's J17 (it's soldered underneath but I can continuity test that connection). My GPal is from Mitsurugi (and I'm not sure if it even matters but I did a read of it on my top3000 and the bin is here: http://pastebin.com/ap6pYgyd

My sound setup on my supergun uses headphones, so this was sort of awkward to record but I think it should give the right idea.
Hyper SFII AE from the minimalist pack:
Just a couple sounds from the test menu:

Some of the sounds are fine, many are wrong. Most of the music has issues of some sort. Any ideas of what to check next?

Back