What's new

Don’s Arcade

Student
Reaction score
Astro City located in a garage in Torrance, CA
Hi I just recently installed a CPS-2 Darksoft Multi this weekend and I'm having issues with my Alpha 3 secret codes. I bought this mainly to switch between Alpha 2, Alpha 3, Xmen Vs Street Fighter and Vampire Savior.

The rom is Alpha 3 USA 980904.

I'm aware that all the secrets are time release but you can bypass them if you put the codes in the test menu:

• Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Arcade): These are unlocked on time release, with all secrets unlocking after about five weeks the machine has been on. The color of the title screen background determines which secret has been revealed and are released in this order- Red, Green, Blue, Light Blue. There are also codes to unlock each of these without waiting, described below:
    • RED (perform with cream title screen): Enter the test menu. Go to input test. Press LP, LP, Right, LK, HP, Start+LP on the 1P side. The message "HERE COME NEW CHALLENGERS" will be displayed. This unlocks Balrog, Juli and Juni.
    • GREEN (perform with red title screen): Enter the test menu and go into color test. Press LK (1P), HK (2P), MP (1P), MP (2P), Up (1P), Start+LP (1P). "TRADITIONAL FIGHT BEGINS" will appear on the screen, which unlocks Classic Mode.
    • BLUE (perform with green title screen): Enter the test menu. Visit game data and enter the following code: Right (2P), Down (2P), Left (1P), HK (2P), Right (1P), Down (1P), LP (2P), Up (1P), Start+LP (1P). A message appears on-screen saying "ENJOY NEW FIGHTING STYLE." This unlocks Mazi and Saikyō Mode.
  • LIGHT BLUE (perform with blue title screen): Enter the test menu and to crosshatch test, then hit the following: Down (2P), MK (1P), Right (2P), Down (1P), Right (2P), HP (2P), Down (1P), Left (2P), MP (1P), Right (2P), Up (1P), Down (1P), MK (2P), LK (1P), Start+LP (1P). A message will appear, "THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LONG PLAYING." Survival, Dramatic Battle and Final Battle can now be enabled.
  • Unlock Balrog: Balrog is enabled when the title screen is red or later. Move to Karin and wait 3 seconds. Highlight a random select spot, hold Start and press any button.
  • Unlock Juli and Juni: They are unlocked when the title screen is red or later. Highlight Karin, wait for 3 seconds. To select Juli, highlight the random select box by holding Up if on top or Down if on the bottom, then press any attack button. To select Juni, move over to the random select by holding Left if it is located left, or Right if it is on the right, then press any attack button.
  • Classic Mode: When the title screen is colored green or later, insert coin and hold HP+HK, then press Start to begin the game. The selected character will be in X-ISM without his or her Super Combo Gauge.
  • Mazi Mode: When the title screen background is blue or later, insert credit. Hold MP+MK and press Start to begin. When a match begins, an L.O. (Limit Off) indicator appears at the bottom to confirm that the player is Mazi Mode.
  • Saikyō Mode: When the title screen is blue or later, insert credit, hold LP+LK and start the game. After choosing a character, their name will be colored pink instead of blue to indicate that they are assigned to Saikyō mode.
  • Survival: If the title screen is colored light blue, Survival Mode can be selected. Insert coin and hold all 3 Punch buttons, then press Start. Ken will be the first opponent faced in this mode.
  • Dramatic Battle: The title screen needs to be light blue. Put a coin in the machine and hold all 3 Kick buttons, then press Start. Select a character, who is assigned a partner to face the following: V-Adon, X-Akuma, S-Balrog, S-Vega, S-Sagat and S-M. Bison. If a second player joins in, they will cooperate against the computer.
  • Final Battle: Perform this code with a light blue title screen. After selecting a character's ISM (or game speed), hold LP+MK+HP to face M. Bison (or Ryu if playing as M. Bison)
I put in the first code in the test mode to unlock Balrog, Juni, and Juli and it said I was successful but when I try to play them in the game the codes don't register and the title screen won't turn red like it suppose to after you put the code. Same thing with all the other codes. I have a USA Blue Alpha 3 board with the same number 908904 and the codes work fine.
So is there a way to get this fixed? Selecting Balrog is kinda a big deal. Thanks in advanced.

[/list]

I'm not aware of these secret codes, maybe someone else here can shed some light, specially @l_oliveira

In any case the rom used is the same as the original, so it may be a region specific issue. I mean those codes only work maybe on Japanese or Export or maybe only in a specific date version, not 980904.

Honestly, that could be a problem with the decryption. That game was decrypted with "clashing" which means two different regional variations of the ROM were compared to form a "mask" of what is code/data. If different regional settings have different "flags" for other stuff (features or such) some data may be different. That would result on corrupted "flags" data. Flags are memory positions in ROM which are used to toggle features on or off, like for example enabling norimaro on Marvel vs StreetFighter, enabling stop screen on crash (error/exception handler screen) or enabling debug mode features on most of those CPS2 games.

Honestly, that could be a problem with the decryption. That game was decrypted with "clashing" which means two different regional variations of the ROM were compared to form a "mask" of what is code/data. If different regional settings have different "flags" for other stuff (features or such) some data may be different. That would result on corrupted "flags" data. Flags are memory positions in ROM which are used to toggle features on or off, like for example enabling norimaro on Marvel vs StreetFighter, enabling stop screen on crash (error/exception handler screen) or enabling debug mode features on most of those CPS2 games.
@l_oliveira is that something you or someone at Team Avalainch could have a look?

... or enabling debug mode features on most of those CPS2 games.
Do you know if it's possible to enable debug mode in SSF2X / HSF2 to view the hitbox properties?

2ltssy0.png

Just to add data I can confirm that entering the code at the input menu does give the "HERE COME NEW CHALLENGERS" message, but the title screen doesn't turn red, and you can't select Balrog.

There are some pretty cool features with those codes, extra characters being the most obvious, would be very cool if there was a possible solution.

Yes if you can please have the team get roms where all the secret codes are unlocked and available to input in both USA and Japan region. I run CPS-2 fighting game tournaments and some players have a preference for picking either USA or Japan. So if you can try to unlock the codes for these roms:

Street Fighter Alpha 3 980904 USA
Street Fighter Alpha 3 980904 EUROPE
Street Fighter Alpha 3 980904 HISPANIC
Street Fighter Zero 3 980904 ASIA
Street Fighter Zero 3 980904 JAPAN
Street Fighter Zero 3 980629 JAPAN

The CPS-2 multiboard is great for running fighting game tournaments but the Alpha 3 not having the codes unlocked makes it limited in the way you can't choose a character like Balrog (Boxer) who is a strong and a favorite character for some players. Also having the codes unlocked for survival mode and the secret ISMs is a big deal too. I manage by always switching my phoenixed Alpha 3 board but it would be really convienent and maximize the Darksoft multi potential if these Alpha 3 codes were unlocked. The codes for other popular CPS-2 fighting games like Xmen Vs Street Fighter, Alpha 2, and Vampire Savior are already available. It's only Alpha3/Zero3 where we are limited.

You guys got it right by making the Japan region of Super Turbo having a freeplay mode, a training mode, and a stage select mode so that great. I'm sure unlocking stuff that is already in the game in Alpha3/Zero3 shouldn't be too difficult. You even got the Alpha 2 USA exclusive Evil Ryu right as well:)

I got another request if it's possible: Have versions of the roms for Hyper Street Fighter II: Anniversary Edition only play Hyper Fighting/Turbo mode and make it available for all regions. I like Hyper Fighting on CPS-1 so it would be nice if we could use Anniversary edition as a way to just play hyper fighting. By editing out all the other modes and keep in only hyper fighting, it makes players honest and keeps it a pure hyper fighting game.

You guys got it right by making the Japan region of Super Turbo having a freeplay mode, a training mode, and a stage select mode so that great.
Wait, what?

Where can I find this?
Jed "possum" Hudson - https://www.youtube.com/user/jedpossum13/videos
made them. He also like to analyze the game engines, study things like collision/hit boxes and music drivers.

Also sign up for his youtube channel. Lots of interesting things to see once in a while.

I've definitely had these codes work on the multiboard before. I think I had to do something weird like play through single player mode a bit, lose, then put the code in, play through single player a bit, lose, turn off, turn back on. Something like that. Would be nice to know if there's a a 'definitive' way of doing it, but I most certainly have picked Balrog and Juni on the multi.

I've definitely had these codes work on the multiboard before. I think I had to do something weird like play through single player mode a bit, lose, then put the code in, play through single player a bit, lose, turn off, turn back on. Something like that. Would be nice to know if there's a a 'definitive' way of doing it, but I most certainly have picked Balrog and Juni on the multi.
The codes only work after a certain amount of time has passed normally, but there area codes that skip the time requirement. That time skip part at least isn't currently working. You get the right response from putting in the code, but it doesn't actually do anything.

It definitely works for Zero 3, not tried the USA version though.

Just make sure after inputting the code, you return to the game, insert coin and press start. Then you turn the power off, and upon restarting the colour background will be different. Repeat the above until you get to light blue.

EjMG0JW.jpg

Dramatic Battle (2 vs 1 mode) is only playable after entering the last code I think:
Ko6gwKg.jpg

... or enabling debug mode features on most of those CPS2 games.
Do you know if it's possible to enable debug mode in SSF2X / HSF2 to view the hitbox properties?

2ltssy0.png
First, the hitboxes won't appear like that they'll appear like you seen in the hit test on the cps1 sf2 versions or what you see in my avatar from Alpha 3 Sample. Secondly the code for them is gone will have to be redone since debug tools is one of the first things to go.

First, the hitboxes won't appear like that they'll appear like you seen in the hit test on the cps1 sf2 versions or what you see in my avatar from Alpha 3 Sample. Secondly the code for them is gone will have to be redone since debug tools is one of the first things to go.
Thanks for the reply. Being able to see the hitboxes in SF2:HF via dipswitch was very cool and it would've been neat to have that in
SSF2X / HSF2 as well. I saw a video of your training mode version, great stuff! :thumbup:

Ya sorry but the code is still not working. I have all the roms and been trying the codes on every region of Alpha 3/Zero 3 and it's still not working. The game doesn't even say "HERE COMES NEW CHALLENGERS" anymore and the title screen also doesn't turn red:( I've been trying this thing all night and nothing.

If it's possible I wish there was a rom hack that unlocked all codes when the game boots up. I play on a H2H Astro cities anyway so putting in the codes is always gonna be difficult especially if I change the game and then put it back. But the first code in the test menu is basically Akuma's Demon Rage and I can't even unlock that lol. I did it like 50 times on each rom and on each region. Got nothing:(

I guess the real question is what options exist to fix this? Is it even possible to fix? Just a shame that one of the best CPS2 games of all time isn't running accurately on the multiboard. :(

I can confirm that I've just tested the Euro and USA versions of Alpha 3 and they work fine:

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you press and HOLD the start button down for a few seconds after inserting coins. I did a couple of tests, and if the start button isn't held for long enough, the screen colour doesn't change after the next power cycle. You don't have to re-enter the code again. I did a couple of power cycles before holding start down. Next time, it changed colour and I then progressed to the next code.

WosLlRG.jpg

l3pIgPd.jpg

EhmhFAn.jpg

6srqbLw.jpg

Back