What's new

Brentradio

Champion
Reaction score
I can't stand the fan and I've already replaced it with a quieter one.

Can I ditch the fan and the plastic shell and run the CPS2 Multigame like that with no worries?

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

Brent

:D

I think you technically can. I have purchased one that was without its shell from an old arcade operator in CT and he told that when they replaced the batteries most often than not they would leave the shell off. I would take the shell off and if in a cab just put a large quiet fan to blow air on it. But test on a board that you dont care about first, dont want you messing up multi.

Or maybe someone can shed some info if the CPS2 has some type of overheat protection where it would shut down without damage just in case.

People disable the fans in CPS2 without problems, although a quiet fan is my personal choice. I also put a fan speed control inside mine and dialed it down further, so the fan is inaudible but still moves air. My case is cool to the touch.

The case adds protection from dust, static, etc. Technically you don't need it, but I'd sure recommend keeping it.

The multi draws less power than the original eproms so I would assume it produces even less heat.

I removed the fans in all my CPS2 systems. Never had a problem. Same for Taito F3.
Only in an arcade setting running 24/7 I would use fans, but not at home.

People disable the fans in CPS2 without problems, although a quiet fan is my personal choice. I also put a fan speed control inside mine and dialed it down further, so the fan is inaudible but still moves air. My case is cool to the touch.

The case adds protection from dust, static, etc. Technically you don't need it, but I'd sure recommend keeping it.
Don't do that if you are using the board with the casing. You will be fine without the fan if you use the board set without the casing, though.

It's perfectly fine. The new fan moves a lot of air even when turned down, and the boards are cool to the touch. Mine's not in a cab though.

Last edited:
I bought and installed the Pabst fan that is commonly recommended as a replacement. Its nearly silent, surely just doing this is less hassle than removing the plastic shell on your A board?

I bought and installed the Pabst fan that is commonly recommended as a replacement. Its nearly silent, surely just doing this is less hassle than removing the plastic shell on your A board?
Those Pabst fans are great but they can't always be found for a decent price.

Back