What's new

rocket

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what i read powerstone2 is a 4 player game and if the capcom jamma adapter is used it can be setup to do 4 players. I noticed the maple bus has 12 pins on both cn6 and cn7. does the maple bus support the other 2 controllers to play 4 players on the with only dream cast controllers for players 1-4?

I do the following for 4 player PS2. Using the Capcom I/O you want to switch it to 4 player http://www.solvalou.com/arcade_naomicapcom.php. You want to set the Namomi itself to 4 player and have a 4 player kick harness. I have it setup in my Blast City with 2 undamned encoder for 4 player awesomeness

I've wondered this myself. I have played it 4 player with 2 sticks hooked to the IO and 2 DC controllers on the maple bus. However, I have never seen any info or pinout to connect more than the 2 DC pads if that is even possible.

I've wondered this myself. I have played it 4 player with 2 sticks hooked to the IO and 2 DC controllers on the maple bus. However, I have never seen any info or pinout to connect more than the 2 DC pads if that is even possible.
What players are the DC controllers when you do it like that?

It's been a while, I did it at a charity fundraiser at work. I don't remember what players the DC pads took but I remember it being weird. I'll hook it up again and report back.

Last edited:
I just tested, when the game is in 4p mode, the controllers become 1P and 3P. I had to use arcade sticks for 2P and 4P

A couple interesting things... in attract mode it shows 2 controllers with 4 total VM spots. one controller with VMUs for 1p/2p and one controller with VMUs for 3p/4p.

This would lead me to believe it really only does support 2 DC pads. I was hoping otherwise because I found additional 5v and GND pins on the maple bus connectors in logical positions. I.E. on CN6, 3 and 5 are +5 and G respectively and this repeats on 8 and 10. Same with CN7 where ground is 5 and 10. This pattern led me to believe I could try 2 more DC pads, so I did, but it did not work. Using pins 5-1 on CN6 would power a VMU but cause the system to crash. Pins 10-6 on CN7 would power a VMU but no controller response. Unless the data lines are rearranged, safe to say there's no software support for 4p worth of pads, though the pins led me to wonder otherwise (As well as 2P's maple bus slot becoming 3p).

Last edited:
I just tested, when the game is in 4p mode, the controllers become 1P and 3P. I had to use arcade sticks for 2P and 4P

A couple interesting things... in attract mode it shows 2 controllers with 4 total VM spots. one controller with VMUs for 1p/2p and one controller with VMUs for 3p/4p.

This would lead me to believe it really only does support 2 DC pads. I was hoping otherwise because I found additional 5v and GND pins on the maple bus connectors in logical positions. I.E. on CN6, 3 and 5 are +5 and G respectively and this repeats on 8 and 10. Same with CN7 where ground is 5 and 10. This pattern led me to believe I could try 2 more DC pads, so I did, but it did not work. Using pins 5-1 on CN6 would power a VMU but cause the system to crash. Pins 10-5 on CN7 would power a VMU but no controller response. Unless the data lines are rearranged, safe to say there's no software support for 4p worth of pads, though the pins led me to wonder otherwise (As well as 2P's maple bus slot becoming 3p).
Very interesting.

So check this out...

20170201_175029.jpg

The filter board indicates MAPLE 2-3 and MAPLE 0-1, so 4 should exist total. I can only get controllers working on the middle 2 as expected/normal, but the outside left (pins 10-6 on CN7, not 10-5 as I said above) will fire up a VMU, image and all.

So it would seem as best I can tell that 4 maple bus slots exist, but the BIOS and/or game software only supports 2 for controls.

So check this out...

20170201_175029.jpg

The filter board indicates MAPLE 2-3 and MAPLE 0-1, so 4 should exist total. I can only get controllers working on the middle 2 as expected/normal, but the outside left (pins 10-6 on CN7, not 10-5 as I said above) will fire up a VMU, image and all.

So it would seem as best I can tell that 4 maple bus slots exist, but the BIOS and/or game software only supports 2 for controls.

so looking at your post the following logic comes to mind. i get the impression your i/o card is outputing 2 joysticks for jamma. i am wondering what would happen if the i/o board was disconnected and the maple bus was used for 4 controllers. to get this to work obviously a lcd screen would have to be hooked right to the naomi and the naomi would have to be powered right off of the sun type power supply or similar power supply strait to the naomi.

So check this out...

20170201_175029.jpg

so looking at your post the following logic comes to mind. i get the impression your i/o card is outputing 2 joysticks for jamma. i am wondering what would happen if the i/o board was disconnected and the maple bus was used for 4 controllers. to get this to work obviously a lcd screen would have to be hooked right to the naomi and the naomi would have to be powered right off of the sun type power supply or similar power supply strait to the naomi.
won't work, you have to have an I/O board connected or the game will error out

Not going to happen for the reasons above (you have to use an IO, and one of the maple bus slots is taken by the system)

Also the DC pads overlap the normal IO inputs. I.e. player one can use pad or joystick.

what are the pin outs to use for the 4 ports? even if it is just the vm that whould me handy for me.
dcpinout3.png

The pins repeat in the same order, but it's pointless. One of the other two slots will crash the system and one will just display a VMU picture. You cannot use 4 DC pads with powerstone2 on the maple bus.

nice to see my pic is being used. so there is 3p and 4p also?

The pins are there but it is not supported. As stated above one of the maple bus slots is already used by the system. Only 2 controllers are supported, and each controller can have 2 VMUs in it.

not right in this topic, but...
anyone know some games with undocumented or unexpected inputs usage ?
for example like Crazy Taxi - there a lot of debug stuff activated by Player2 start button.
ct1.png

Attachments

• ct2.png
    ct2.png
    359.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Back