What's new

Dhampird

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i´m planning get a 246 or 256 system, i´m interested on play Cobra the Arcade and get a system with best game compatibility, if i´m right that game have a 40G Maxtor HDD (i dont know if also DVD for Audio Tracks will be needed?), i read that best is the 256 system for Cobra, the game to work seems need a PCB called Rays I/O (i dont know if this I/O board comes integrated with some 256 systems or not), some people told me that maybe a 256 system with Namco V185 i/O could work with Cobra, i dont know. About gun compatibilites, in somewhere i read that Cobra needs IR sensors, CCD camera, IR gun, then i dont know what kind of gun with pedal will be compatible with the game. Please if anyone had or tested this game let me know which system namco configuration i should follow, i read also that someone can make a HDD image with a prepared dongle for that game, all info you have let me know please. I have Taito Egret 2.
Regards everyone.

If you want 100% original setup, you need:
- System 256 (L+H)
- Dongle + HDD
- Time Crisis 4 full IO and sensor setup
- Modified Time Crisis 4 Gun (or the Cobra Gun)-the Solenoid in a Cobra gun is replaced with a vibration motor - think DualShock
- Time Crisis style pedal
- Serial Card Dispenser/Reader/Printer (SERIAL PORT, NOT EXCARD-BASED)

If you just want it to (mostly) work, you will need:
- System 256 (Any model)
- Dongle + HDD or CF card version of the game
- Any JVS IO with Analog and Digital Inputs (Verified on Sega Type 1 JVS)
- Some kind of X/Y Input device, joystick, etc to serve as the "gun"
- Some kind of Digital Buttons for Cover, Fire, and Start

The card reader checks can be bypassed although I HAVE gotten lockups on game over/clear without it present, so YMMV.
Force Feedback via the Rumble motor is completely unnecessary. I DO however, recommend NOT using a solenoid based gun, or if you do, disconnect the solenoid so you don't fry the coils while it powers the motor to stay spinning.

Let me know if you have any questions- It's been a while since I've had the whole thing setup on test bench, but I can either set it up again or see if I recall things about it.

Basically, the game is designed as a Time Crisis 4 "clone" of sorts, but with some new features.
Also supports 2-cab linking for "COBRA" and "LADY" modes (Player 1 & 2) via UE-PCB

does it use the same card readers are Tekken 5 or do they need to be cobra specific?

Also FWIW I never got this game running on CF :-/

I never did figure out the buttons on a type 1 Sega I/O. I know it works since you had it working so I guess I missed something.

does it use the same card readers are Tekken 5 or do they need to be cobra specific?

Also FWIW I never got this game running on CF :-/
Hmm, I'll recheck my image when i get a chance...

As far as card readers, nope- the Tekken 5 style "excard" readers are only used by:
Tekken 5
Tekkie Dark Resurrection
Super Dragon Ball Z

Serial connected readers (a few different kinds) are used by:
Battle Gear 3
Battle Gear 3 Tuned
Zoids Infinity
Zoids Infinity EX
Dragon Chronicles
Druaga Online
Cobra the Arcade
The Idolm@ster
Brain Training
...Likely a few others I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

I never did figure out the buttons on a type 1 Sega I/O. I know it works since you had it working so I guess I missed something.
Yeah I need to start doing some connection documentation for Sega JVS to 2x6, given that it's the superior solution for MOST games out there.

I've been meaning to try out Tekken 5 and SC3 with a Capcom IO in my Egret, I've heard the Capcom I/Os work great

definitely should be fine for fighting games, sure, but let's keep this thread maybe on topic?

Hmm, I'll recheck my image when i get a chance...
As far as card readers, nope- the Tekken 5 style "excard" readers are only used by:
Tekken 5
Tekkie Dark Resurrection
Super Dragon Ball Z
Don't forget Gundam.

gundam doesn't support card readers- you're thinking of Extreme VS and later (not 2x6)

Gundam VS Gundam Next on the 256 doesn't support card readers?

Gundam VS Gundam Next on the 256 doesn't support card readers? Why do I have a card reader for it then?
Can you show photo.. or ??
There's nothing in the manual or schematics to attest to this, but I am genuinely interested.

I bought two NNC cabs from Japan. They were used for GVGN. Both had Bandai 1P control panels on them with the card readers. Naturally I made the assumption that the game was card-capable.

So the serial readers, how do they hook up to the 256? are there any other interface pcbs involved?

Someone asked about this a while back so I made up a combined image to show the setup on cobra- you're in luck.
The 3 pins here are the white 3-pin connector next to the JVS USB port on front of the 256.
Other games are similar, but some are different as well- i.e. IdolM@ster and other touchscreen games which use the dedicated serial for the card reader and a serial port on the JVS IO to connect to the touchscreen.
Cobra-Card-Reader.gif

Last edited:
From Mp with Guerrier-ame_vilca Neo Arcadia at the time I bought him the game

Guerrier-ame_vilca said:
Here's how I did my wiring:

1P start: pin 27
2P start: pin 25
Trigger: pin 21
pedal: pin 31

With
that, it should be good, you change the position of the dipswitch 1 to
enter the menu, with the 2P start, you can go down in the menu and with
the 1P start, you can validate.
That way you can put in freeplay :)

I
am even more sure that the E51 is because of the missing card reader,
because after having passed the error card reader of the boot, if I
press the button TEST of my service PCB, it reactivates the card reader
and I catch the message E51 just before selecting the character.

++

Dimitri

If you want 100% original setup, you need:
- System 256 (L+H)
- Dongle + HDD
- Time Crisis 4 full IO and sensor setup
- Modified Time Crisis 4 Gun (or the Cobra Gun)-the Solenoid in a Cobra gun is replaced with a vibration motor - think DualShock
- Time Crisis style pedal
- Serial Card Dispenser/Reader/Printer (SERIAL PORT, NOT EXCARD-BASED)

If you just want it to (mostly) work, you will need:
- System 256 (Any model)
- Dongle + HDD or CF card version of the game
- Any JVS IO with Analog and Digital Inputs (Verified on Sega Type 1 JVS)
- Some kind of X/Y Input device, joystick, etc to serve as the "gun"
- Some kind of Digital Buttons for Cover, Fire, and Start

The card reader checks can be bypassed although I HAVE gotten lockups on game over/clear without it present, so YMMV.
Force Feedback via the Rumble motor is completely unnecessary. I DO however, recommend NOT using a solenoid based gun, or if you do, disconnect the solenoid so you don't fry the coils while it powers the motor to stay spinning.

Let me know if you have any questions- It's been a while since I've had the whole thing setup on test bench, but I can either set it up again or see if I recall things about it.

Basically, the game is designed as a Time Crisis 4 "clone" of sorts, but with some new features.
Also supports 2-cab linking for "COBRA" and "LADY" modes (Player 1 & 2) via UE-PCB
Can I use aliexpress tc4 gun?

Can I use aliexpress tc4 gun?
They won’t works as the aliexpress guns were made for the knock off version of TC4. They use a different IR gun technology. However, the actual real TC4 gun is compatible, you will need to get an authentic gun. Don’t get the knock off version.

They won’t works as the aliexpress guns were made for the knock off version of TC4. They use a different IR gun technology. However, the actual real TC4 gun is compatible, you will need to get an authentic gun. Don’t get the knock off version.
Got it. Can you tell me please where I can get a dongle for this game?

Back