Multi for X3 Hardware?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• purely from a theoretical point of view because i am unable to test it.
      yes they should run. yes a multi is possible. BUT no a multi is not feasible as you need to either know the ATA key for the specific TTX3 you have or sacrifice the drive you got with the said TTX3.

retrieving the ATA is not trivial work. you might get lucky and a script for MHDD might work but i dont have a drive to test this on to find out. @android successfully retrieved the user and masterkey from a TTX3 but pretty sure that was with expensive specialty hardware.

have the master key is only really good for mounting the drive in another pc. as the TTX3 bios uses the user key to mount the drive and if it dosent get a successful unlock back it fails.
      ps unlocking an already unlocked drive returns and error. so you have to have a drive in the ttx3 with the correct user key
      Cab: Sega Blast City - DJSheep stole it!!!!
      Hardware: TTX2, TTX3, Sega Ringedge and Steel Chronicles
    • And to add to this subject and i mean this in a completely non insulting way

if your planning on running the multi you guys do understand its a PC? if the intention isn't even to play real drives, but a multi drive why brother with all the hassle

2 Real options that net zero performance impact and solve nearly every single issue with running a multi

TTX3
      Find
      LGA1155 Motherboard with the same south-bridge and layout, this will let you clone the windows partion of a ttx3 drive image to a new drive, and boot it on a drive thats no longer bound by the ata lock
      This would also allow you to easily run whatever you please, in the case of the muti you slap your 7900 GS into the TTX3 and install the driver and their ya go multi on a TTX

Second option find a similar Vintage PC motherboard that has Com Ect, And just install the Fast IO, PCi-e Card + drivers or the JVS Io 2 com Drivers.
      This would let you control the OS of the system Tho for drivers sake i think you are limited to windows 7 32bit and being that you are in control over the machine you can use any gpu like a nromal pc, but your using the "offical" IO
      So when you do run the game.exe No emulation whatsoever is being done.
    • OK - putting it another way, will the JVS card from a TX3 work in a normal PC to run the TX2 multi - I already have the correct videocard?

As currently a working TX2 is about $80-100 more than a TX3 and I could leave the TX3 on the shelf until it is cracked (I should have picked up a couple of TX2 when they were only $50).

Also as the game with the TX3 is crap couldn't I just overwrite it with the TX2 multi image?
    • Assuming you manually install the drivers yes it should work a normal pc all you pc has to have is the com connector on board.

point B
      why destroy even a crap game when easy solutions like replacing the motherboard are available. thus yields exactly the same gameplay but with out destroying something thats very limited.

And in terms of the TTX3 being "cracked" you could easily already make a multi for it but your not going to ever bypass a ATA lock as this is done via the bios level you could desoler the bios and put the nromal cusomer bios on it and hey that would work and do the same thing as fully replacing the motherboard.
    • Excuse me? lol

You still have to have the drive RE-locked to play back on a xbox360 AND a xbox original

Sorry this requirement has never been removed or "defeated"

"unlocking" the drive isnt even remotely hard for Xbox or arcades, a simple hotdswap can unlock it.

****Gotta add these here for the case of the OG xbox you can install a mod, chip and turn off locked drive requirement, but that is literally the same as soldering the bios on a motherboard and replacing it

For both of these systems their is zero non hardware modifications to boot a drive unlocked

The post was edited 1 time, last by atrfate ().

• I would convert the TX3 game you have now to USF4 so you at least get some real use out of it. :P I converted my Puzzle and Dragons to USF4 since you can't play P&D without special hardware. Sure USF4 is on the new Multi but I want my arcade pcbs functional. ;)

But to me I am an arcade collector/preservationist so I try to use only original hardware to play games whenever possible. So to me it's not a TX2 if it doesn't have the Taito branded motherboards, etc. Just my preference.
    • Well the X2 also have a harddrive lock to even worry about in the 1st place.

but the aurgrment of

"But to me I am an arcade collector/preservationist so I try to use only original hardware to play games whenever possible. So to me it's not a TX2 if it doesn't have the Taito branded motherboards, etc. Just my preference."

Isn't even remotely Vaild if your intention is to run a multi at that point you are at the very least fully changing the stock drive to one no longer made by taito. and you are bypassing any dongle requirements

how is that any different then changing a motherboard to bypass some requirement

why it works like this?

The games dont care what they are ran on, they care that they detect a proper IO thats about it. outside of that they run

however if you goal is to run real games by all means dont use "cloned" hardware use the real thing.

The post was edited 2 times, last by atrfate ().

• atrfate wrote:

Well the X2 also have a harddrive lock to even worry about in the 1st place.
      Yeah and I think if the X3 had more games everyone wanted to play it would most likely have been hacked by now. I do hope someone figures a way to lock new drives to the X3. Right now if your HDD dies then you have a giant X3 paperweight. It's the same type of protection being used on almost every new arcade platform (among other things)
    • You can just reflash the bios tho and remove the locks but it wont allow it to unlock retail games.
      beacuse with out that theirs no bypass even if a method to relock is made, well the drives still have to be locked. the whole things a pain in the ass

The best solution for this would be to remove the stock bios, make a custom Bios pcb with 2 bios sockets one for unmodified and one for ata lock removal so a switch can swap between them on boot.

This would give you 100% full control over what drive you slap in as any brand will work ( not all drives can be ata locked )
      and would allow retail games to still boot with the flip of a switch

The post was edited 1 time, last by atrfate ().

• Its not the hard-drive that enforces the lock/unlock command its the motherboard They do a handshake and the drive unlocks
      not saying you cant full reprogram a harddrive to fake the functionally but the hardware requirement and ease of use for anyone else to reproduce it wouldn't be remotely easy

it is by Far more feasibly and easy to just replace the motherboard
      Or replace the motherboard bios to just remove the lock.

both of those however will make it no longer boot retail game hard-drives.
    • to answer the orignal question short. no you can't run nikos multi on a TTX3.

Now for the long version plus some tangent information :P

At the OS level meaning if you get passed the drive locking.
      the ttx2 os is xpe with nearly all drivers stripped out so using it on a ttx3 will more than likely blue screen if by chance it dosent then you will have crippled functionality due to missing drivers for alot of things.
      Technically speaking you could move nikos tools over to a ttx3 drive. but as atrfate said if your doing this just build a pc to do it instead. PS you will need to use the TTX2 jvs to rs232 card. I did state once using an ioff the shelf rs485 to rs232 adapter might work. but recently i have discovered that the TTX2 games can communicate with the JVS to rs232 directly via a custom address in the jvs protocol this is used to read the dip settings and mosts games hang if it doesn't get a response. But using nikos JVS to KB emu is still possible with a rs485 to rs232 adapter so technically you could use that and the loader available around the internet to run the games with jvs.

as for nesica games they use a fast io card which can be used also on a normal pc by just plugging the pci card in and installing the drivers(64bit OS's need to disable driver signing) i also have a fast io to kb emu working and will be released soon.

I'm also working on a hardware level RFID reader emulator using a ardiuno and a rs485 shield so for people who might have a USF4 ttx3 but no rfid reader will be able to use there hardware without software modifications.

now as for the drive locking. The drive key isnt stored on the bios like it normally would be for a standard pc. instead it is derived from info gathered from the drive pre-unlocking and possibly the attached dongle and motherboard. which in turn is then put through some sort of algorithm to gen the drive key. i havent researched in to this yet but do plan to start in the near future.

as for flashing the bios to a standard one via desoldering well lets put it this way people who have this kind of skill are more than likely skillful enough to by-pass the drive locking anyway via other methods
      Cab: Sega Blast City - DJSheep stole it!!!!
      Hardware: TTX2, TTX3, Sega Ringedge and Steel Chronicles
    • As mentioned, the drive key is derived from the dongle + motherboard combo. This is why you cant buy random X3 games and connect them to any motherboard. Drives can be locked to a specific setup ( dongle + motherboard ) but the information isnt public yet and is far from an easy task.
      Want to show your support for the Freeware X2 Multi?: Buy Niko a Beer! :thumbsup:
      Official Freeware Taito TypeX2 Multi Thread
    • Niko wrote:

As mentioned, the drive key is derived from the dongle + motherboard combo. This is why you cant buy random X3 games and connect them to any motherboard. Drives can be locked to a specific setup ( dongle + motherboard ) but the information isnt public yet and is far from an easy task.
      So when did you say you were going to be in NYC, I have like 5 X3s that need some help :D
    • Niko wrote:

As mentioned, the drive key is derived from the dongle + motherboard combo. This is why you cant buy random X3 games and connect them to any motherboard. Drives can be locked to a specific setup ( dongle + motherboard ) but the information isnt public yet and is far from an easy task.
      not to mention that this a hardware that is currently being used by Taito and operators and is their current source of business. So giving any information that could jeopardize their income is a no-no here. Worst case scenario, they'll get angry and will stop making games for us to enjoy....
      * Arcade-projects, the site where you get the most of your arcade games.
      * If you want Drama go to Neo-Geo forum ---Darksoft
    • Darksoft wrote:

not to mention that this a hardware that is currently being used by Taito and operators and is their current source of business.
      This ^ all day.

I've got zero issues once the hardware sinks into obsolescence.
      While Taito is currently using it however, we should be respectful.

Derick2k wrote:

I have like 5 X3s
      And you only have 4 Vewlix Capcom cabs, pitty... I know! I can take one of your X3's and put it in my Vewlix Capcom, problem solved. ;)
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)