Mitsurugi-w's Review of the USB Host Controller for 3DO FZ-1

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• @Mitsurugi-w

I just got this ode for my FZ-1 two days ago and there isn't much documentation out there on it's exact usage functionality and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

1) Do you know if it's normal for it to not load the 3DO bios without the USB drive connected, because mine just displays a black screen. Also, the "Launch Bios" extracted from the zip of files from Mnemo's site does the same thing for me (black screen)

2) How exactly does the NVRAM files work? There is a bunch of them already in a folder from the extracted zip file from Mnemo's site.

Do I rename one of them to a game of my choice and does it have to be the same name as the ISO name and then copy back to the internal memory?

Any info and help about this is appreciated.
    • Did you get your info?
      I have been eyeing one of these for years but never pulled the trigger.

replacement lasers are impossible to find and the one I purchased a couple of years ago died :(.

the only thing holding me back is the price and the fact I have a stack of games on cd for it already.

I rgb modded mine also which was well worth it.
    • I actually just set up my retro crt setup again that's been stored for almost two years. The first system I set back up was the 3DO with the USB host. :)

@Mugicha stopped by two weeks ago for the day and played it some. Maybe he will drop in and give his opinion.

I absolutely would buy it again. I might buy the version for my top loading model too.

Another plus is that the good 6 button controllers are now easy to find and much cheaper! I never had a proper one for SSF2X because they were so damn expensive a few years ago. But I decided to go ahead and finally buy one and found new/unopened Capcom controllers on ebay for $35!! I bought two of those and also the official fight stick for 3DO. The fight stick has a switch to change the button configuration to Street Fighter style and back. I bought mine for $80 shipped from Japan.

On that note I have a warning about controllers. There are some 6-button controllers that do NOT work for Street Fighter. The most common is the Performance controller. Medium punch actually pauses the game. This cant be changed by remapping in the game either. This is a proper controller for some games. Just dont use it for Street Fighter. Buy the Capcom controllers for Street Fighter.

Or:

Buy an official 3DO fight stick or two and be able to play every game with the flip of a switch. Plus the fight stick feels really good. It's a quality stick and worth the money.
    • The 3DO version held the award for best home port of Street Fighter 2 for quite awhile and was the ONLY home version of Super Turbo for even longer. It may be more nostalgia based for me but I'm sure others feel the same way. A system I dreamed of owning at the time but could never afford.

My only gripe is there is no option for original music. You get the arranged music which is good and one reason people liked it back in the day.
    • I got a Hori Fighting Commander pad for the 3DO a couple of years back in the side streets of Kyoto for $10, it works really good. Highly recommend that pad.

I gotta get the USB solution for my 3DO, but the soldering looks pretty intense compared to the front loader!
      Multis: CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, ST-V, MVS, M72, Naomi, G-Net
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

• Mitsurugi-w wrote:

I actually just set up my retro crt setup again that's been stored for almost two years. The first system I set back up was the 3DO with the USB host. :)

@Mugicha stopped by two weeks ago for the day and played it some. Maybe he will drop in and give his opinion.

I absolutely would buy it again. I might buy the version for my top loading model too.

Another plus is that the good 6 button controllers are now easy to find and much cheaper! I never had a proper one for SSF2X because they were so damn expensive a few years ago. But I decided to go ahead and finally buy one and found new/unopened Capcom controllers on ebay for $35!! I bought two of those and also the official fight stick for 3DO. The fight stick has a switch to change the button configuration to Street Fighter style and back. I bought mine for $80 shipped from Japan.

On that note I have a warning about controllers. There are some 6-button controllers that do NOT work for Street Fighter. The most common is the Performance controller. Medium punch actually pauses the game. This cant be changed by remapping in the game either. This is a proper controller for some games. Just dont use it for Street Fighter. Buy the Capcom controllers for Street Fighter.

Or:

Buy an official 3DO fight stick or two and be able to play every game with the flip of a switch. Plus the fight stick feels really good. It's a quality stick and worth the money.
      Good times were had on the 3DO! I remembered seeing those Capcom controllers from back in the day. They are a little strange looking, but comfy and very functional to use. 8)
    • Hey, just thought I'd post my experiences. I ordered the External USB Controller for FZ-1 via Paypal Aug 30th, received it a few days ago, so not bad on the timing. (Paypal goes to semb1****...)

The board looks good and was dead easy install. However, I had problems getting a menu to show up. Eventually I did (shakey ribbon connection possibly, re-seating it seemed to help..) , but selecting and loading an .iso (I tried several kinds) instantly caused a crash. Possibly still a ribbon problem, it all looks fine visually though. (it was a fully working system and I have no doubt I could put back on the old CD drive and have it work)

After a few crashes, it started saying "Send me delivery confirmation" when an iso is clicked. I guess this is part of a weird security/anti-fraud/anti-clone system? It wants a generated key or something? This wasn't mentioned on the ordering page...

Anyway, I emailed but it's been a few days and no reply. So... er.. yeah.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ransom ().

• Ransom wrote:

After a few crashes, it started saying "Send me delivery confirmation" when an iso is clicked. I guess this is part of a weird security/anti-fraud/anti-clone system? It wants a generated key or something? This wasn't mentioned on the ordering page...

Anyway, I emailed but it's been a few days and no reply. So... er.. yeah.

Remind me to never buy anything from him. That's just terrible.

The USB GDROM has a similar "feature":

twitter.com/pcwzrd13/status/1033691574058864640
    • Update: After ten days or so I did receive a reply to my second email. Apparently my emails were going to his spam folder. He send me a code (similar to the konami code, inputted via the control pad) and this did indeed unlock the device to get around the "please contact me" message but it was still crashing.

The solution was two things:

1. Tried on a second 3DO but couldn't get the menu to work at first - One of the flex ribbon connectors on his board was a bit flakey, it couldn't be used normally. Took some debugging with a multimeter to isolate that. After getting a good connection (pushing it half way in with the latches already closed is what worked for some reason) it booted fine into the menu first try.

2. Anything launched from the built in menu crashes. But renaming the .ISO to 3DOGAME.ISO (to autoload and skip the menu) does work fine, still trying to see if that's something I can fix or what.

So overall, yeah, the hardware having some kind of secret "trial" period is bad, but I'm happy it works. I don't know if it's going to magically shut off after 1000 loads or whatever though.
    • In the interest of completeness for anybody else thinking of buying this (hello, googlers), a (final?) update.

Today I was sent a firmware upgrade that did fix the missing functionality to the USB Host Controller, apparently the reason loading from the menu didn't work for me was because I was using Japanese 3DOs, there was an incompatibility. The latest firmware now support them fully.

So.. not a scam or anything, it does work beautifully now.