What's new

SEGASHIRO

Professional
Reaction score
Hello,

So, I got my hands on a Blazeon PCB that supposed to be working. It boots up fine and sounds good. It plays the attract sequence nicely. It accepts credits but it will not register when the 1P or 2P to start playing. It just sits there on the press start screen doing nothing.

I will post some photos in the upcoming days. It looks like there was a small fix done to the board. Any ideas? Could it be a cap issue?

Thanks!

The small fix turns out to be 12V to Coin Locker connection. I snipped that but nothing has changed in terms of the game starting up.

When I try it on a PANA/cabinet/HAS - it boots up fine, the attract screen and music start playing and the game lets me coin up.

However, once it asks me to press 1P/2P start it doesn't register the button press.

I tried jumping the board right from the harness/pcb but that yielded the same results - it would coin up but none of the other start or test/service functions seems to do anything. So, it boots up and looks great, sounds good but won't actually let me play the game.

WP_000235.jpg
Pic of the board

WP_000236.jpg
Jamma edge with snipped 12V --> Coin Locker

WP_000238.jpg
A suspect looking cap

WP_000237.jpg

An Atlus board with Kaneko chips? Neat!

I think your issue resides in the MC-1091 custom SIP module. ...it even looks deeply scratched on top of one of the ICs...
As a confirmation, you should try beeping the START1 pin to the module; if it goes to one of its pins then the module is very likely broken. You see, these things are made by "painting" traces with a conductive ink over a ceramic substrate. If the substrate is cracked, as it often is the case when these modules get mistreated, it usually is not even visible from the outside.

Thanks for the info...are those easy to replace/fix? The way it was shipped was pretty suspect...no bubble wrap!

The only way to replace a custom module is to replace it with a working unit from another board that uses it...

If the traces are underneath the coating on the top of the IC (similar to the custom sound processor on Konami X-Men boards) then you could clean the coating off and hopefully repair the trace, but this is a long shot

Run a multimeter over the traces between the pin on the edge connector through to the pin on the custom to confirm if this is the fault, hopefully there's a broken trace on the board itself you can replace with some jumper wire

Did you buy it with PayPal? Or have you spoken to the seller about the terrible packaging it was sent in? If it was sold as working I'd be looking into getting my money back

As @xodaraP said, if this was sold working get your money back.

If you want to verify that nothing else is broken, enter setup mode and test the inputs.

SW2, DIP 8

Back