What's new
His image looks scrambled tho, like the monitor is trying to render at 15khz (even tho VGA is clearly 31khz).
Sure a Extron would help that by reducing his input to 15khz, but this is just covering up the issue IMO.

Force that mother f'er to display 31khz! That's the only "fix" you actually need.

OP: Are you sure the 360 is set to 640x480@60hz?
What happens when you connect any other (PC, Dreamcast, etc) source directly to the VGA port?
Same scrambled image or is it clear?

His image looks scrambled tho, like the monitor is trying to render at 15khz (even tho VGA is clearly 31khz).
Sure a Extron would help that by reducing his input to 15khz, but this is just covering up the issue IMO.

Force that mother f'er to display 31khz! That's the only "fix" you actually need.

What happens when you connect any other (PC, Dreamcast, etc) source directly to the VGA port?
@jassin000 is right. Ok, OP keep my 'solution' as a last resort only.

Yes the photo definitely looks like the monitor can't lock onto the sync signal.

I don't know why people are suggesting a Extron, thats completely unnecessary for this setup, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to feed that monitor a native VGA signal.

Stupid question but have you tried adjusting the h-hold? (did we determine if this was a 2930 or a 2931?)

I don't know why people are suggesting a Extron, thats completely unnecessary for this setup
Amen!

I mean how would you hook a Naomi board up to a Blast City, via Extron?
NO TOTALLY WRONG!

You want the Naomi in full 31khz (VGA) glory, so again... Force it!

Let me just tell you right now I'm insane... Ok, disclaimer out of the way...
IF that was my Blast City, and that F'n CRT wouldn't switch/do 31khz, it would quickly find the blunt end of a baseball bat completely thru the tube (I'd put the video on youtube).
I ain't got time for electronics that don't behave, it does what I want when I want it or it's destroyed!

yea , I'm sure the 360 is set correctly, I can't connect anything else via vga because I got nothing else to try on it.

Yes the photo definitely looks like the monitor can't lock onto the sync signal.

I don't know why people are suggesting a Extron, thats completely unnecessary for this setup, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to feed that monitor a native VGA signal.

Stupid question but have you tried adjusting the h-hold? (did we determine if this was a 2930 or a 2931?)
how would I adjust the hold? The back of the monitor says 2931-s

I can't connect anything else via vga because I got nothing else to try on it.
This is going to make troubleshooting harder. I think we really need to be sure the Blast City can't display ANYTHING from VGA first.
Yes I'm 99.9% sure this is the case, but without confirmation all I can do is guess.

Main thing to understand is this isn't "normal" operation, the Nanao 293X is a tri-sync, no reason why it can't display VGA directly from the port (that's what it exist for).
I still maintain in its auto switching brain its decided that its going to sync 15khz no matter what, that's why VGA is scrambled.

I believe you triggered this when you connected the JAMMA harness in an attempt to connect audio.
The trick will be how to un-trigger/release it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't connect anything else via vga because I got nothing else to try on it.
This is going to make troubleshooting harder. I think we really need to be sure the Blast City can't display ANYTHING from VGA first.Yes I'm 99.9% sure this is the case, but without confirmation all I can do is guess.

Main thing to understand is this isn't "normal" operation, the Nanao 293X is a tri-sync, no reason why it can't display VGA directly from the port (that's what it exist for).
I still maintain in its auto switching brain its decided that its going to sync 15khz no matter what, that's why VGA is scrambled.

I believe you triggered this when you connected the JAMMA harness in an attempt to connect audio.
The trick will be how to un-trigger/release it.
I got no clue on how to "untrigger / release it"

The picture looks fine if I plug in via jamma. But from the sounds of it, it does seem like it's stuck trying to sync even tho it's auto sync

The 2930 is analog and has manual knobs for h-hold, while the 2931 is digital and should handle that automatically.
you can confirm as the remote board for the 2931 will just have a few push buttons for an on-screen display, while the 2930's remote board will be wider and have a number of adjustment pots on it.

If you have nothing connected to the JAMMA connector does the VGA work?

You don't have any computer monitors anywhere? no VGA or DVI-I port on your TV?

FIXED !!!
what I had to do was disconnect everything , hold down the up and down button on my OSD adjuster for about 3 secs and it runs a auto reset kinda thing.

To confirm it wasn't my xbox or my xbox cable that connects from xbox to vga monitor . I connected it to my security monitor we use for our cameras (it has vga). It was already set to 640.

So it worked and then I reconnected everything back to my blast city and then BAM , it got video and sound

Now to figure out how to get my controls to work on the blast city

Last edited:
Lemony Vengeance will sell you a pre-made pad hack solution.
Or, you could make something yourself with parts from Focus Attack.

Now that you have video going, you should be able to plug back into the JAMMA edge with a blank fingerboard...
jammagd.jpg

Solder in the pad hack to just the "Buttons" "Controller" and "Switches" portion of the key, or wire leads for the (PS360+ pictured) controller PCB
qrVaC7o.png

This way the pad-hacks/controller board can sit safely (on PCB feet screwed down for example) at the bottom of the cab where boards are intended to go. :thumbup:
Everything all connected the way Sega intended/designed the cab (aka RCA audio connected via 001 loom, VGA directly connected to monitor, controls via JAMMA edge)!
l7u8gxb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lemony Vengeance will sell you a pre-made pad hack solution.Or, you could make something yourself with parts from Focus Attack.

Now that you have video going, you should be able to plug back into the JAMMA edge with a blank fingerboard...
jammagd.jpg

Solder in the pad hack to just the "Buttons" "Controller" and "Switches" portion of the key, or wire leads for the (PS360+ pictured) controller PCB
qrVaC7o.png

This way the pad-hacks/controller board can sit safely (on PCB feet screwed down for example) at the bottom of the cab where boards are intended to go. :thumbup:
Everything all connected the way Sega intended/designed the cab (aka RCA audio connected via 001 loom, VGA directly connected to monitor, controls via JAMMA edge)!
l7u8gxb.jpg
That blast city picture had me laughing lol!

@Lemony Vengeance how much would a pad hack cost me ?

unless you happen to know off the top of your head @jassin000

PS: idk how to solder :p

ok so cave games are on their way for the 360 ...cause I don't see a Cave multi coming soon ;(

I have 2 blasts.

what is the best way to be able to wire the 360 to EITHER of the blast (one tate, one yoko) without modifying the controls wires. AKA I want a JAMMA to 360 thingy. is THIS what I need ?

I believe most CAVE titles are emulated well in MAME, you could build a GroovyMAME box with CRT_EmuDriver if you wanted to play as close to the arcade experience without the original boards.

As for the 360 that adapter should work. you'll want to set your Xbox 360 to 4:3 480P video output BEFORE you hook it up to the arcade cab.

Based on what i can see of the adapter the JAMMA connector powers the adapter and does controllers but you'll need a headphone to RCA cable and a VGA cable to hook up audio and video.

This is also a timer board, which means quarters add play time and once time is up it locks out the controls. hopefully you can set it for "freeplay" or unlimited time.

Also while some games might support tate mode but the Xbox 360 dashboard will not.

I believe most CAVE titles are emulated well in MAME, you could build a GroovyMAME box with CRT_EmuDriver if you wanted to play as close to the arcade experience without the original boards.

As for the 360 that adapter should work. you'll want to set your Xbox 360 to 4:3 480P video output BEFORE you hook it up to the arcade cab.

Based on what i can see of the adapter the JAMMA connector powers the adapter and does controllers but you'll need a headphone to RCA cable and a VGA cable to hook up audio and video.

This is also a timer board, which means quarters add play time and once time is up it locks out the controls. hopefully you can set it for "freeplay" or unlimited time.

Also while some games might support tate mode but the Xbox 360 dashboard will not.
Should have been more specific:

I already have a MAME with a JVS PAC to JAMMA throught the sega board. ( see attached) and a original Dai ou jou :)

Mame is great but it's missing Sai Dai ou jou! so got 4 games to make it worth it (esp2, mushihimesama + ds2 )

My pc sound already goes in the blast loom with a headphone to RCA cable so that will be fine.

THE OSD from the timer board is a pain ... I might find another althought I've seen it can be bypassed...

there is no support for the 360 on the jvspac but is there anything that can be done with the JAMMA / JVS adapter from Sega?!

ddpvs.JPG

THE OSD from the timer board is a pain ... I might find another althought I've seen it can be bypassed...
You could always just get an Xbox 360 VGA cable and run it directly from the 360 to the Blast without touching the timer board... that would eliminate any OSDs.

there is no support for the 360 on the jvspac but is there anything that can be done with the JAMMA / JVS adapter from Sega?!
The Blast isn't a native JVS cab as it is... so trying to shoehorn JVS onto the 360 you'd just serializing and then immediately deserializing the data, it'd do nothing for you but add lag.

JVS PAC is great when you're trying to work with a native JVS only cab (like a Net City) But For a Blast; if this were my cab I'd be using a JAMMA harness with a J-PAC for the MAME PC. That would also allow something like this timer board to plug right in. And if I wanted to run JVS PCBs (like NAOMI) then I'd use either a Capcom I/O or the Sega JVS to JAMMA Adatper.

I've been following this thread for interest. I'm still working on my Blast. But I thought that if you had an -001 loom, you were native JVS and Jamma with the Blast? It would seem like with the -001 cable, you would run the audio to the RCA on the loom, use the VGA from the X-Box into the monitor directly, and then the JVS-PAC for the controls? What am I missing?

The blast isn't "native" anything. "Native" implies that's how it's built at its core. The 001 harness adapts the non-standard blast terminal board to the jamma standard. The JVS standard implies that in addition to vga and an onboard amp for stereo rca audio the cabinet also has a jvs io board for accecpting inputs and outputs over a jvs serial connection. The blast has no such io board and thus no native jvs connectivity. (By comparison the net city is a native jvs cab and has a jvs io board built into the cab from the factory.

A jvs pac makes no sense in a blast because there is no jvs io for it to connect to. If you added a jvs io just for using a jvs pac then youd be adding a lot of needless data translation on the inputs like if you spoke English and needed to send a message to someone in German but instead of translating directly (j-pac) you translated from English to french (jvs pac) then French to German (jvs io)

I've been following this thread for interest. I'm still working on my Blast. But I thought that if you had an -001 loom, you were native JVS and Jamma with the Blast? It would seem like with the -001 cable, you would run the audio to the RCA on the loom, use the VGA from the X-Box into the monitor directly, and then the JVS-PAC for the controls? What am I missing?
For me, it was a quick and easy way to get the blast controls to the PC to run MAME. The jpac would have been less translations but if i ever get something JVS, I'll be able to run it !

" It would seem like with the -001 cable, you would run the audio to the RCA on the loom, use the VGA from the X-Box into the monitor directly, and then the JVS-PAC for the controls? What am I missing?"

Like Twisted said, it ain't native. the I/O board is there to interpret the (weird) JVS protocol.

PC -->
VGA --> I/O board -> jamma
Sound mini din to RCA --> 001 loom which brings it to jamma
USB --> JVS-PAC
JVS-PAC-->i/O board --> Jamma

... oh and I bought a brook Ultimate board today ... we'll see how that works when it arrives.
That's for the second Blast btw :D

Back