What's new

Maruchan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i have had my blast city for a while now, i been trying to get my 360 to work on it. when i first got it , i was able to hook up my 360 via VGA and it worked just fine. some reason it had no sound coming out.
Then i got this cable that connects the red and white audio cables from 360 into the actual jamma wiring harness. after connecting everything i was able to get sound but no video? my jamma harness works fine if i put in sf2 with jamma or even my pandoras box 4. so any suggestions on what i might be able to do?

======================================================================================================================================================
EDIT: Controls , i will get to when i can get the video and sound to at least work. Controls are least of my worries.

======================================================================================================================================================
EDIT: Here is what it looks like when i have my xbox 360 connected via VGA

Jz0u6lO.jpg
(
(http://i.imgur.com/Jz0u6lO.jpg)

The screen looks fine when i use jamma on my pandoras box 4

RnQaeuV.jpg

UPDATE !

FIXED !!!

The issue was that it was stuck on 15k and not 31k just like some people suggested.....

what I had to do was disconnect everything , hold down the up and down
button on my OSD adjuster for about 3 secs and it runs a auto reset
kinda thing.

I was able to figure out how to do a reset on my frequencies by googling "how to adjust hold on 2931"
it pulled up a PDF file of some monitor specs and troubleshooting things . i then tried one thing i saw which was to hold the up and down button on my adjustment panel for 3 secs without any inputs connected

To confirm it wasn't my xbox or my xbox cable that connects from xbox to
vga monitor . I connected it to my security monitor we use for our
cameras (it has vga). It was already set to 640.

So it worked and then I reconnected everything back to my blast city and then BAM , it got video and sound

Now i have to try and see the best option to run 360 controls to the joysticks on the blast city !

i would like to thank all of you that gave any input at all. Any input helped at the point of my frustration.

(http://i.imgur.com/kGADjxl.jpg)

kGADjxl.jpg

Last edited:
The JAMMA harness is designed to accept an amplified mono audio signal, your 360 outputs a stereo line-level (unamplified) signal.

the Blast City, however does accecpt stereo, line-level input; but not through the JAMMA harness. I don't own a Blast so I can't say off the top of my head but you'll want to check out some diagrams for Model 3 and see where the stereo input connects on those, then wire the audio output from your 360 to that.

As for why your video stopped working, I have no idea. you haven't provided enough information to make an assessment, though VGA output is what you want. Just make sure your resolution is set to 480P (640x480) and no higher.

You haven't mentioned controls at all, If you want to interface those use something like a PS360+

There are complete JAMMA adapters for the 360: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Coin-Operated-The-Second-Generation-XBOX_60145381955.html

I have no idea how good they are though.

The JAMMA harness is designed to accept an amplified mono audio signal, your 360 outputs a stereo line-level (unamplified) signal.

the Blast City, however does accecpt stereo, line-level input; but not through the JAMMA harness. I don't own a Blast so I can't say off the top of my head but you'll want to check out some diagrams for Model 3 and see where the stereo input connects on those, then wire the audio output from your 360 to that.

As for why your video stopped working, I have no idea. you haven't provided enough information to make an assessment, though VGA output is what you want. Just make sure your resolution is set to 480P (640x480) and no higher.

You haven't mentioned controls at all, If you want to interface those use something like a PS360+

There are complete JAMMA adapters for the 360: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Coin-Operated-The-Second-Generation-XBOX_60145381955.html

I have no idea how good they are though.
When i first was able to get video from my 360 to my blast city i was
able to use a xbox 360 cable that connects from the back of the 360 to a
vga monitor. The blast city has a vga input on the chassis that i
connected it to the first time. when i turned everything on i was able
to get an image and browse the menu etc... then when i tried to wire the
360 audio to a loom that connects to the jamma via rca (red/white) the
video magically stopped working after i turned it on but the sound
worked. i tried reversing the process to get the video back. some reason
it just wont come back on at all and all i can do is get sound. the
resolution on the first time i got it to work seemed fine and yes it was
set to 480p and still is

as for controls im not worried about that, that seems to be the simple part.

i might try out the at JAMMA adapter to 360 since u showed me that.

so far i just dont know why i cant get any video to the monitor. if i
use a pcb board it works fine. but when i try using the vga input on the
chassis it only gets this weird video . ill try and take a picture of
it when i got more time to show.

if I understand you the video stopped the instant you plugged the audio cables in and hasn't worked since.

of so It could be a grounding issue and could have damaged your VGA adapter (does it still work on other devices?).

I don't know how the Xbox 360 is wired but in consoles the video and audio generally share the same ground, but on arcade hardware they're often isolated from each other. Particularly if your JAMMA harness or adapter used non-standard audio wiring it could have shorted something out.

if I understand you the video stopped the instant you plugged the audio cables in and hasn't worked since.

of so It could be a grounding issue and could have damaged your VGA adapter (does it still work on other devices?).

I don't know how the Xbox 360 is wired but in consoles the video and audio generally share the same ground, but on arcade hardware they're often isolated from each other. Particularly if your JAMMA harness or adapter used non-standard audio wiring it could have shorted something out.
Well, this adapter (i think its the one you are talking about) is a normal thing that microsoft offered https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/Xbox_360_VGA_cable.jpg was plugged straight into the monitors vga spot and i connected the red and white portion into the jamma loom .

as for me being able to test it out on other devices or even a vga monitor, it still works for that part. i can hook it up to a VGA monitor with that cable and a regular xbox 360 and it works.But if i plug the same thing into the blast city it gets a weird glitched video.

I dont know if its the VGA connection on the blast city's chassis. i didnt do anything to tamper with that once i had the video working.

HI! I've done a few 360 hookups in the blast in my past :D

What Chassis do you have? I know that the 2930 has some pretty weak sync. my suggestion is getting something to strengthen the sync up a bit like one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...ter&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313

Also, if it IS a 2931, do you have the dips set to 31 KHz?

**Edit**

Oh snap, does VGA not work with anything? or just the 360?

HI! I've done a few 360 hookups in the blast in my past :D

What Chassis do you have? I know that the 2930 has some pretty weak sync. my suggestion is getting something to strengthen the sync up a bit like one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...ter&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313

Also, if it IS a 2931, do you have the dips set to 31 KHz?

**Edit**

Oh snap, does VGA not work with anything? or just the 360?
I'm guessing the vga on the blast city chassis ? I plugged the 360 into just a regular monitor outside of the blast city and it worked.

I'll tell you the model when I get home :( I just know iye the original monitor and it has auto syncing

Idk why it stopped showing video. After I got it working I didn't mess with it , just the audio.

Last edited:
My guess is he has the auto switching version of the chassis, and that by plugging in the JAMMA harness the monitor has defaulted to 15khz mode (not accepting a 31khz image directly from VGA port).

You should ask someone who runs any VGA board inside a Blast City with a autoswitching chassis how they display without removing the JAMMA harness (because you need that for your audio).
When I owned a Blast City I had the manual version of the CRT... So I could force VGA input with a dipswitch (the downside being I had to manually switch back for JAMMA boards).

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is he has the auto switching version of the chassis, and that by plugging in the JAMMA harness the monitor has defaulted to 15khz mode (not accepting a 31khz image directly from VGA port).

You should ask someone who runs any VGA board inside a Blast City with a autoswitching chassis how they display without removing the JAMMA harness (because you need that for your audio).
When I owned a Blast City I had the manual version of the CRT... So I could force VGA input with a dipswitch (the downside being I had to manually switch back for JAMMA boards).
Yea , mine is an autoswitching blast city.

I haven't read through the complete thread so forgive me if this has been said already, I just want to do a quick reply ;)

FWIW I have a Blastcity with a non auto manual 15/24/31 Nanao MS-2930-S which only accepts my JAMMA XBOX 360 Acade Joystick Timer Board VGA signal through an EXTRON RGB 160XI.

Lantus (Modern Vintage Gamer) has posted a video about this setup on his youtube channel.

Do you have a -001 loom? There's a 4 pin connector just before the jamma connector. If you have it, you can just buy / make a RCA breakout cable.

The 4 pin connector looks like this:

IMG_2166.JPG

2931 is autoswitching. I can't remember if there's a jumper on the chassis to switch from the 15 pin AMP UP connector to the VGA connector or not. However, if you had it working, removing video from the jamma connector will fix your problem. As you're only using it for audio, connect audio someway else and unplug the jamma connector.

2931 is autoswitching. I can't remember if there's a jumper on the chassis to switch from the 15 pin AMP UP connector to the VGA connector or not. However, if you had it working, removing video from the jamma connector will fix your problem. As you're only using it for audio, connect audio someway else and unplug the jamma connector.
Pretty sure nem just nailed it for you!

I haven't read through the complete thread so forgive me if this has been said already, I just want to do a quick reply ;)

FWIW I have a Blastcity with a non auto manual 15/24/31 Nanao MS-2930-S which only accepts my JAMMA XBOX 360 Acade Joystick Timer Board VGA signal through an EXTRON RGB 160XI.

Lantus (Modern Vintage Gamer) has posted a video about this setup on his youtube channel.

this is the image im getting when i start up my xbox 360 with vga connected

http://i.imgur.com/Jz0u6lO.jpg

Last edited:
Get that XBOX360 JAMMA adapter because you'll need it anyway for your controls and it's your easiest and cheapest option and get that Extron to strip the OSD text crap from the timerboard and it will make your monitor accept the VGA signal.

Get that XBOX360 JAMMA adapter because you'll need it anyway for your controls and it's your easiest and cheapest option and get that Extron to strip the OSD text crap from the timerboard and it will make your monitor accept the VGA signal.
is there a specific extron thing i should be looking for , or anything else i might need while im at it?

The whole thing seems very strange to me...
While I did have problems displaying a direct VGA image from my Dreamcast, the 360 always worked perfectly with just the VGA cable set to 640x480 (SD Rez) audio connected via JAMMA harness.

I'm not trying to call people who say you need a Extron a liar but... I never need one so...

Hmm, don't know how to get it to start at 09:01 so please skip to 09:01 for the juicy bit.

The whole thing seems very strange to me...
While I did have problems displaying a direct VGA image from my Dreamcast, the 360 always worked perfectly with just the VGA cable set to 640x480 (SD Rez) audio connected via JAMMA harness.

I'm not trying to call people who say you need a Extron a liar but... I never need one so...
There's mixed reports, if you google for xbox 360 blast city, you will see.

is there a specific extron thing i should be looking for , or anything else i might need while im at it?

I have the Extron RGB 160, same one Lantus has.

Back