What's new

rocket

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where is a good place to buy a replacement volume pot for a cps3 board? also what is the correct part number?

Last edited:
When I replaced the DAC on my Sega STV my buddy got his hot air gun a little too close and melted the volume pot.
We must have pulled three pots from various other dead boards looking for a match... Couldn't find one!

So I finally said "screw it" and re-installed the melted one (which works perfectly fine/at a good level, it can just never be adjusted further). :P

Does anyone have any extra that would be willing to send me one?

On a related note, if you are just experiencing scratchy or intermittent sound, it might just be a dirty pot that can easily be remedied with some "contact cleaner" spray. I bought a huge can of it because it's so handy for flaky tact switches and volume pots. It's worth a shot at cleaning it that way before going to the effort of replacing it (and risking damaging the PCB, depending on your skill level). Also, there are different flavours of contact spray, so be sure you get the kind that leaves no residue. Some have the "feature" of leaving behind a lubricant (perhaps useful for some volume pots), whereas others fully evaporate.
-ud

I've used this spray on cps2 motherboards on the volume buttons inside of the case to be exact and if it was having sound issues the spray fixed the problem.

On a related note, if you are just experiencing scratchy or intermittent sound, it might just be a dirty pot that can easily be remedied with some "contact cleaner" spray. I bought a huge can of it because it's so handy for flaky tact switches and volume pots. It's worth a shot at cleaning it that way before going to the effort of replacing it (and risking damaging the PCB, depending on your skill level). Also, there are different flavours of contact spray, so be sure you get the kind that leaves no residue. Some have the "feature" of leaving behind a lubricant (perhaps useful for some volume pots), whereas others fully evaporate.
-ud
Where/how do you apply the contact cleaner, exactly? Just spray it over the pot, or do you have to disassemble?

Where/how do you apply the contact cleaner, exactly? Just spray it over the pot, or do you have to disassemble?
Whether it be a pot or tact switch, you want to spray into a gap between the moving part and the body. So, in the case of the CPS3 volume pot, the small gap between the volume shaft and the silver top plate on the pot. Spin it around many times immediately after spraying, to try to break up the dust and grime in there. If it's still scratchy, give it another shot and move it some more. Contact cleaner is never a guaranteed fix, but if it does, you can skip out on a lot of work.
-ud

Wish I had found this advice first, I end up replacing a volume pot on my TMNT PCB for scratchy/jumpy sound.
I probably didn't need to do that now I realize. :P

On the cps3, could the volume pot be a culprit on the board not being able to produce any sound? Mono seems to work however. I'm actually trying to troubleshoot for a friend's setup.

Yes. The sound pots suck. You can usually get them to work again temporarily by working the post back and forth.

Does anyone know where and what type of pot to specifically buy for the CPS3?

The above links to mouser no longer working.

Please help

I actually also have need for a replacement pot. Is there a different part number that could be substituted? Is 2-gang 10K linear what I need to look for when sourcing a potential replacement?

To all that have sent me pm's please be patient work is 12 hours a day 8 days a week, but luckily I got this weekend off for mother's day, so I'm sending the wife to the inlaws and will be looking for this things this weekend, not sure how many I have but will update when I find them I'm sure i have around 10 or so

Back