What's new

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I'll probably go back and fill in some photos later, but I'm pretty excited so I just wanted to post. Hyper Sports (Hyper Olympic '84) is an old favorite of mine, but it's not the kind of board I feel like dropping $300-$500 to get off ebay. So I waited around and happened to find a known-issues board from KLOV and decided to give repairing it a shot.

It booted, but there were clearly sprites having issues. High score data was off (the battery had clearly leaked, too). Otherwise it was good to see power was fine and a lot of logic was fine.

First, I snipped off the battery and ordered a socket and replacement.

Next , I stumbled upon a nice diagnostic tool from shoestring that identified video issues on an SRAM (c10) that is known to fail. After a short wait for some SRAM, I installed sockets and replaced that chip as well as a couple others (c9 c3) of the same type, as they're known to fail. I lifted one pad and one trace during the removal, so that took a little time to patch back up. The schematics were hand-drawn but it was enough to tell me where the current was supposed to flow.

When I booted it back up, it was worse, but different. I then went about verifying all the roms, and found five (!) that didn't verify against MAME. I re-burned them, flipped the dip switch to clear the high score crap data, and all is right with the world again. I think next time I'll verify the roms first...

So, it's not much, but it's my first repair and I learned a lot in the process.

Last edited:
Lovely work. Congrats and Welcome to Arcade Repair Anonymous! :)

lac103-08.jpg

Very good for a first timer. Welcome on board! :D You're now kind of framed, as we wanna see more ;)

Back