What's new

war3zlod3r

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I acquired this monitor from a mame cabinet user whose PC died. The monitor has a VGA cable for input but came with a 10 pin adapter, the original jamma harness it was in had two connectors going to the wired pins of the adapter with the sync cables jumpered. Every JAMMA harness I've looked up online comes with a 5 pin monitor connector. My question is how to I connect the 5 pin from the JAMMA to the 10 pin on the adapter? I haven't had much luck in finding 5 pin to 10 pin cables online or JAMMA harnesses with the same configuration.

You have to find out the pinout of that 10 pin connector.

The jamma 5 pin harness is wired as

Red
Green
Blue
Sync
Ground

However, the order isn't necessarily that. Double check to be sure.

Turns out only 6 of the 10 pins are wired and its wire as

Red
Green
Blue
Ground
Unused
Unused
Unused
Unused
H Sync
V Sync

I believe what I need to do and the way it was originally wired was to split the sync cable to both H and V sync, the original harness I took it from had a 4 pin and 3 pin connector with the 3 pin having one unused port and a looped jumper wire between H and V sync.

The reason for that is some games need a composite sync signal to function and others specify a separate signal, most boards will work on either but obviously whatever was connected to that monitor previously was picky

so should I just hook up H sync or use both like the original connector?

I'd be doing some research on that since I don't know anything about that monitor specifically, but I'd probably connect it up however it came out of the factory and if it does support a composite sync signal and you have a board that requires it, change it then.

Alternatively if it does support composite sync and you want the option, there are threads out there on how to set up a switch system

Most multi sync monitors will accept a composite sync signal on the h-sync pin, I would try to wire c-sync to that first.

Back