What's new
If you are using the SuperBIOS you need a full set of simms no matter what game you want to play. Even New Generation. The SuperBIOS will not boot without two 64mb simms (slots 1 & 2) and four 128mb simms (slots 3, 4, 5, 6). Slot 7 was not used by any CPS3 games.

Ok, last dumb question. If I have the 2x 64 meg and 4x 128 meg setup can I use a no cd cart that would utilize less memory? I got my shit in the mail and I think it came with a 4th 128 meg simm. The board is populated for jojo’s bizarre adventure but there are some extra Simms. If it has 4 chips on each side that’s a 128 right? I have a no cd jojo’s bizarre adventure cart and I have the repo cart. I also have the sd2scsi. Hopefully I have time to mess with this stuff tonight.

Ok, last dumb question. If I have the 2x 64 meg and 4x 128 meg setup can I use a no cd cart that would utilize less memory? I got my shit in the mail and I think it came with a 4th 128 meg simm. The board is populated for jojo’s bizarre adventure but there are some extra Simms. If it has 4 chips on each side that’s a 128 right? I have a no cd jojo’s bizarre adventure cart and I have the repo cart. I also have the sd2scsi. Hopefully I have time to mess with this stuff tonight.
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/CPS3

May this guide help you identify your flash memory.
Also it contains the memory configuration for each game.
My CPSIII I keep populated with enough memory to run SF3TS.
From there, I can flash any game on down the list using my SCSI2SD.
Hope this helps.

Ok that page says games will run fine if the memory is set for larger games and it looks like I have enough memory for the repo cart, if my simms all work. We will see.

I’m working on this tonight. Any way to change the test menu to English?

Ok, I updated the scsi2sd, used wenhex to put the cd image on a sd card, hooked it all up and got into the menu. For some reason when I try to select a game it skips around a lot. Has anyone experienced that? Eventually I landed on 3rd strike A and tried that. It now says “now reading cd-rom. Please wait...”. But no status bar or anything. How long do I give it?

I see one other person had this issue but I didn’t see a resolution. I just formatted the sd card in Windows. (10). Should I use sccard formatter instead? I didn’t see any detailed instructions about formatting the sd card in this thread.

looks like my sd card was not seated properly in the scsi2sc. Now I get invalid cd. So I think I still need some help. How should I format the sd card before cloning the image using winhex?

ok, the scsi2sd has more settings now with the latest firmware. these are not my settings, I have a 5.0b and that "enable scsi terminator (V 5.1 only) comes up as checked" so I unchecked that and tried to match what you guys had the best I could. Anyone else using the latest firmware and can share their working settings? what the hell is "quirks mode" and maybe I should set scsi host to "slow" ?

Attachments

• settings1.JPG
    settings1.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 299
  • settings2.JPG
    settings2.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 258
ok, the scsi2sd has more settings now with the latest firmware. these are not my settings, I have a 5.0b and that "enable scsi terminator (V 5.1 only) comes up as checked" so I unchecked that and tried to match what you guys had the best I could. Anyone else using the latest firmware and can share their working settings? what the hell is "quirks mode" and maybe I should set scsi host to "slow" ?
Device type has to be cd rom, not hard drive.

I know, i was just showing the new options. I have that set. here are my settings

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 268
ah ha! in winhex when you select the write destination select the "physical storage device" not the logical. not sure if anyone said that, if so I missed that detail. I took tons of notes reading this whole thread. anyway maybe that helps someone. So my settings for 4.8 are good. game on. writing 3rd strike, now I have to wait 40 minutes.

The cursor skipping around on the menu is a known issue with the superbios. You can still select every game so it's not a huge deal.

The cursor skipping around on the menu is a known issue with the superbios. You can still select every game so it's not a huge deal.
Fun fact - I've also had this happen on CPS2 conversions/decrypted sets - usually if you go back one menu then back in it sorts itself out or if it's on the front menu, selecting an item then backing out

Yas!

Attachments

• 394C2353-A53C-4F5C-AEA9-A9086FF0E354.jpeg
    394C2353-A53C-4F5C-AEA9-A9086FF0E354.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 285
Either I am missing something or I think our buddy jansen is not including enough nuts in his kit for the scsi2sd board. I had 2 extra nuts that fit so I made it work, I just don’t understand what he expects people to do with just 2.

Attachments

• 28B4FDBA-823E-4A4B-97FA-A966F30DD1ED.jpeg
    28B4FDBA-823E-4A4B-97FA-A966F30DD1ED.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 4A29EB2D-6072-4BC3-B227-21D639D19186.jpeg
    4A29EB2D-6072-4BC3-B227-21D639D19186.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 220
  • C8292980-4C59-486E-966C-AB07EAB581E2.jpeg
    C8292980-4C59-486E-966C-AB07EAB581E2.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 327
That's because only 2 are needed.

If you look at the assembly picture, it's only showing 2 nuts and 2 cap nuts. Also, your scsi board is mounted fairly high. I do not recall mine being that high.

6LxoMsz.jpg

@Geddon you didn't mount it correctly, take another look (it should sit almost flush with the plexi).

Also WinHex is a hex editor, sure it works for this purpose but its not what I would call a "recommended method" for writing images.
That's why no one mentioned the "physical disc" setting (the majority of people didn't use it).
I used HDD Raw Copy portable (totally free installs nothing) and it was easy as pie.
I said that on page 8... ;)

Finally, yes the SuperBIOS region select is jumpy AF... That's just how its coded, DS would need to fix his code to correct it and no one really sees this as a good use of his time (after all it works).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back