What's new
I've been in discussion with someone about making up some custom firmware and an addon board/new pcb design to allow selection of multiple raw cd dumps off the card... basically the idea is to leverage the built-in offset feature, and put a bunch of 650mb raw images concatenated together, then just change the offset, and reset the board. Not sure if we'll get anywhere, but it should be pretty possible...

Would be especially cool if Darksoft is able to reflash the original keys which is a side project we've been eyeing.

Reactions: idc
Oh, I should have made that last post more clear- I'm currently busy with other projects so this is WAYYYYY down the list, feel free to run with the idea of a custom fw on the scsi2sd and/or LCD over I2C - the pins are technically not used on the scsi2sd, so it should be a good way to add a fronted.

Ok, so I need to get this adapter board, then I format the board so it behaves as a 700MB CD ROM, then put the darksoft image on the SD card and away I go?

Only problem is ... that I have a Mac, is there a way to format the board on a Mac without using that software. Also formatting SD cards on the Mac seems to add junk files and you have to use a workaround to fix that (it's not just one line in Terminal to fix that, there are several steps).

you'll have to configure the board to pretend to be a SCSI CD-ROM drive, using the SD2SCSI software.
then you'll DD the contents of your ISO over to the SD card's mount point- no FILE system is really involved- in fact, any formatting you do will be lost when you do the DD.

You can also use WinHex if you run windows to copy an ISO file into the SD. The most important as defor said is that you configure the drive as a CDROM.

Besides the CPS3, are there any other drive-based platforms this might work on? (Most are IDE.)

Last edited:
Mmmm this is SCSI, so I guess not many arcade systems work with SCSI.

Attachments

• katana.jpg
    katana.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 652
does it improve game loading (re-flashing) speed? I mean replacing a bulky 20 year old optical device is a good enough reason anyway but if it loads the game like in 5 minutes I'll definitely buy it right away...

does it improve game loading (re-flashing) speed? I mean replacing a bulky 20 year old optical device is a good enough reason anyway but if it loads the game like in 5 minutes I'll definitely buy it right away...
Nope. The load speed is not affected by the source drive at all. The reason the loading is so slow is because of crappy flash routines in the Capcom code.

this might be asking to much. but i was wondering if someone would write a procedure for running this scsi sd card adapter drive.

this might be asking to much. but i was wondering if someone would write a procedure for running this scsi sd card adapter drive.
look at the beggining of this thread. That screen that you see it's pretty much it.

You need to connect the device to a PC in order to configure it as CD and not as HDD. Then copy the CD or DVD image with any copy program like Winhex and you're good to go.

Right out of curiosity I just ordered one too.

Back