What's new
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCSI2SD-V5...952419?hash=item2ce4121963:g:-qEAAOSwzd9b9eUa

Just bought one of these. I messaged the seller confirming that they are in fact the 5.0b that recently sold out/discontinued. He said yes and that they are a custom set for a client which I assume refers to just the mounting bracket.

4 left as of now. The only other listings are from India and say that they have been modified.

Thanks to BMXer3S for the help.

Anybody have advice on which micro-SD card I should buy? Does it make a difference?

no it doesn't really matter. Buy the lowest storage space you can find (I think the lowest you'll find is 4gb), since you'll only need 700mb of space needed.

I used this and it works fine. I got a 16gb because it was on sale and cheaper than the 4gb for some reason.

no it doesn't really matter. Buy the lowest storage space you can find (I think the lowest you'll find is 4gb), since you'll only need 700mb of space needed.

I used this and it works fine. I got a 16gb because it was on sale and cheaper than the 4gb for some reason.
This ^^^^^^

I just wanted to share that I can confirm my blast (and others) are running CPS3 with the scsi2sd v5.0b (red pcb). The v5.1 (green pcb) would not boot correctly in any of the 6 blast city cabs I tried it in.

Also, I have used both windows and osx to set up the device and write the sd cards. It's completely platform agnostic, which is nice.

Just an update. I did exchange the 5.1 for a 5.0b rev from internalcomputing.com, although the guy I was dealing with was a complete douche about it. Anyways, I used the exact same settings I was trying on the 5.1 board and now everything is working well. So for anyone planning on using a scsi2sd in a blast or net city, get the 5.0b or lower version.
I recently received a SCSI2SD v5.1. Spent over an hour last night trying different settings with my CPS3 with very little luck. The best I managed to get to last night is:
  1. Most images, when attempting to flash a new game, will drop back out to the boot screen and after a few seconds present the message about not valid CD being found.
  2. Jojo's Venture is the one game I have been able to "successfully" flash. It will go through the full flash, and go to region select. But selecting a region locks everything up.
I'm using a Mac and I think the first half of my night was just figuring out the right settings. As has been mentioned, using dd to write to /dev/disk3 and not /dev/disk3s1 (in my case) yielded better results. Also, for whatever reason, the recommended DD Utility doesn't recognize my SD card, so I wasn't able to try that.

At this point, if I'm able to flash Jojo's Adventure, but not select a region, and all other games fail to even recognize the drive to write, what are the chances something in my setup is wrong vs. the SCSI2SD 5.1 isn't behaving correctly?

Last edited:
Hey guys. Sorry, another noobie here.

When I boot up the motherboard, it gets stuck at the "now reading the CD-ROM. Please wait..." screen. Any advice?

Here are some things I've done.

-change to CD-ROM, 700mb in the SCSI settings
-enabled parity and change SCSI id to 1
-used WinHex to clone the image file to the SD card (is it normal for the SD card to have weird letters and characters for the files and folder?)

Things I noticed.

-tried to copy the image to SD card with HDD Raw Copy tool but failed (said the target destination was in use with another program, but really it wasn't)
-when I used sd2scsi monitor tool, it failed to read the SD card

Any suggestions? Should I buy another microSD card? Thanks

Hi, I'm pretty sure I got all the settings correct. I was able to use HDD Raw Copy Tool on a different computer on another SD card and still doesn't work. Do you guys think my SCSI2SD pcb is the problem?

When I open the SCSI2SD monitor tool, it fails the SD test.

fail.png

Got mine working. 3 main takeaways:
  • SCSI2SD v5.1 works just fine with CPS3.
  • Freezing on region select is caused by using the wrong image for your BIOS.
  • Older, pre-SDHC SD cards may not be compatible.

My problem ended up being two fold.
  1. Wrong ISO for my BIOS. I had gotten a repro cart and was mistakenly using the ISO for the custom BIOS. I needed to be using the standard ISO. This was causing the freeze when choosing a region.
  2. My SD card. I was using an old 1GB Toshiba SD card. Worked fine for other stuff, but didn't play well with my CPS3. For others who might encounter the same thing, the symptoms were that I was able to write the two JoJo games, but any other games, when selecting in the Darksoft menu to write, I would get dropped out to the boot screen, and would get an error about no valid CD-ROM being found. It's possible that pre-SDHC cards aren't compatible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Comparison They only support FAT16 (not FAT32) and operate on an older spec. Or maybe my SD card was just a dud. If you can view your files and folders of the SD card via the Darksoft menu, but getting "Invalid CD-ROM" when trying to write a game, try a different SD card that's over 2GB. A 4GB card ended up working for me.

jugo wrote an awesome guide back on page 8, but it had a couple things that didn't work for me. So while it's all fresh on my mind, I'll document the exact process that worked for me on a Mac.

Pre-requisites
  1. Download SD Card formatter (It's possible that DiskUtility is sufficient, but I didn't try it)
  2. Download the appropriate UniCD image for your BIOS from the first post here
  3. Download the latest SCSI2SD utility image (if you're using v6, go here)
  4. Download the latest SCSI2SD v3/v4/v5/v5.x firmware (if you're using v6, go here)

Preparing Your SCSI2SD
  1. Connect your SCSI2SD to your Mac with a micro-USB cable.
  2. Open the the SCSI2SD DMG file. Open scsi2sd-util. You can do this from Terminal or can also just double-click it in Finder.
  3. Observe the lower-left corner of the scsi2sd-util window. If it says "Searching for SCSI2SD device", then your SCSI2SD is not properly connected. Try using a different USB cable.
  4. Go to File -> Upgrade Firmware. Upgrade to the firmware you downloaded in #4 of the pre-requisites.
  5. On "General Settings", check the "Enable Parity" checkbox. (I didn't try without this, so not sure what happens if you don't check it)
  6. On the "Device 1" tab:
    1. Set SCSI ID to 1
    2. Set Device Type to CDROM
    3. Set Sector size to 2048 (it may have defaulted to this already). When set to 512, I couldn't write images and the Darksoft menu couldn't load folders and files.
    4. Set Device size to 700 MB
  7. Go to File -> Save to Device and wait for SCSI2SD to save the settings. If this option is grayed out, your SCSI2SD isn't connect correctly to your Mac.
Preparing Your SD Card
  1. Unzip the SDCardFormatter zip file and run the installer.
  2. Launch SD Card Formatter
  3. Select your card if more than one is listed. Observe what disk number it shows. ex: "disk3: Apple SDXC Reader Media" - disk3 is the disk number.
  4. Select Overwrite format (you can try quick format, but overwrite seems less likely to cause any potential issues)
  5. You can set a volume label or leave it blank, it doesn't matter. It will get changed when we write the ISO to the card anyway.
  6. Click Format. Accept any dialogs that appear.
  7. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
  8. Using your disk number from step 3, run the command: sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk3 (using whatever your disk # was). Sometimes this failed for me if I did it *right* after formatting. If it fails, just try running it again.
  9. Run the command: dd if=/path/to/your/isofile.iso of=/dev/disk3 (this will take a few minutes to run)
Putting it All Together
  1. Put your SD card in the SCSI2SD
  2. Connect your SCSI2SD to your CPS3 with your ribbon cable. Molex power cable isn't needed.
  3. Power on your CPS3
  4. Hold down 1P start button until you're taken to the Darksoft menu
  5. Open Disk & Files. Here you should see a list of files and directories with non-sensical names. If you don't see files or folders, and it keeps failing to read anything from the card, something went wrong in your setup. Re-visit the sections above and make sure you didn't miss anything.
  6. Assuming 5 went fine, back out to the main screen and select Rewrite a New Game
  7. Select whatever game you want from the list.
  8. You'll now go back to the CPS3 boot screen. After several seconds you should see it recognize the new image to write, and begin that process. You may instead get an error saying invalid CD-ROM. In my case, this happened for two reasons: The SD card wasn't prepared correctly (in which case, step 5 should have yielded no file list), or your SD card isn't playing nicely and I would suggest trying a different SD card.

One last note, the Intertial Computing guys were very responsive and willing to help. Obviously they aren't CPS3 or Darksoft support, but if you believe your SCSI2SD is the problem, I'd suggest contacting them. If some compability issue does exist between v5.1 and CPS3, they seem eager to figure it out. Though at this point for me, SCSI2SD v5.1 seems to work just fine with my CPS3.

SCSI2SD v5.1 seems to work just fine with my CPS3.
For the record, the problems people have stated were that v5.1 doesn't work on blast city at all, and new net city has some intermittent problems. My 5.1 setup worked with CPS3 on my super gun, astro, and aero. it also worked on my blast if using an external micro usb psu.

If you go back one page you'll see a post about 5.1 not working with a CPS3. Just trying to set the record straight so people don't think they need to pay $125 for an older version off eBay.

If you go back one page you'll see a post about 5.1 not working with a CPS3. Just trying to set the record straight so people don't think they need to pay $125 for an older version off eBay.
CPS3 does work to an extent on 5.1

After extensive testing I have determined that the 5.1 board does not like power supplies that use a 3.3v rail. If you're planning on using a power supply that doesn't have a 3.3 rail you should be fine.

CPS3 does work to an extent on 5.1
After extensive testing I have determined that the 5.1 board does not like power supplies that use a 3.3v rail. If you're planning on using a power supply that doesn't have a 3.3 rail you should be fine.
Consider sharing that with the SCSI2SD team. I'm sure they'd like to hear about your findings.

CPS3 does work to an extent on 5.1After extensive testing I have determined that the 5.1 board does not like power supplies that use a 3.3v rail. If you're planning on using a power supply that doesn't have a 3.3 rail you should be fine.
Consider sharing that with the SCSI2SD team. I'm sure they'd like to hear about your findings.
I did. Alex wasn't having none of it when I told him it didn't work. I gave him all my findings, but he was being a little arrogant about it. Maybe he'll take what I shared with him into consideration with the next revision, but until then I will stick with older revisions.

CPS3 NOOB HERE

Question for everyone here

Which is the recommended SCSI2SD + CABLE for the cps3 multi ? :whistling:

I would take some time to read this thread. At this point it would seem:

5.0a from the Chinese site https://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html is confirmed to work 100% but takes awhile to ship and is currently out of stock (someone is reselling them on eBay for higher prices). My friend got an email response from the site admin and says they’ll be restocked soon, which version, I am not sure.

5.0b (the red one) works 100% but is now unavailable from the inertial computing website. eBay has 2 listings from India which I don’t trust.

5.1, available on the inertial computing site, according to this thread, works but doesn’t like certain power supplies.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong

Back