What's new
When I did have the 5.1 board, I would test it outside the case with the cable stretched out and still encounter issues. It would detect the board, but would just hang on the "Reading disc". I truly believe my issue was related to a power supply, because every power supply I tested on it that didn't have a 3.3v rail it would boot fine and play with no issues. All my cabinets have a 3.3v rail, so it was pointless to keep the 5.1 rev.

I feel if you want it to just "work" without having any issues, the 5.0a+b rev boards are what you want

I feel if you want it to just "work" without having any issues, the 5.0a+b rev boards are what you want
I have both 5.0a and 5.0b boards. Have issues with them both and seem to be cable related. Don't have a 5.1 board, so no way I can validate if your mention of the 3.3v rail being the problem; will take your word for it.

I have both 5.0a and 5.0b boards. Have issues with them both and seem to be cable related. Don't have a 5.1 board, so no way I can validate if your mention of the 3.3v rail being the problem; will take your word for it.
I will say I've never used an original cable though. Only new cables that are less than 8 inches, which may be why I've never had issues with the cable.

Seems odd that the existence of a 3.3v rail on the PSU would cause the 5.1v SCSI2SD not to work. CPS3 is a JAMMA board and doesn't harvest 3.3v at all. But yeah, I'll take your word for it.

So bottom-line, provided the user formats the SD card correctly using the right image, with a compatible card, and sets the SCSI2SD board as recommended in the earlier posts on this thread, users should only encounter near-unsolvable issues with the different revisions in these scenarios:
  1. Version 5.0a (green board) & 5.0b (red board) - if there are issues with the SCSI cable
  2. Version 5.1 - if their cab has a 3.3v rail on their PSU

Last edited:
Seems odd that the existance of a 3.3v rail on the PSU would cause the 5.1v SCSI2SD not to work. CPS3 is a JAMMA board and doesn't harvest 3.3v at all. But yeah, I'll take your word for it.
Still not as weird as what I learned today about a particular Sega PSU common in Astro/NAC that won't run Cave CV-1000 boards.

The 3.3v issue could be related to the JVS to JAMMA converter since all 3 rails would be connected to that converter. Maybe it's not grounded properly or something

Still not as weird as what I learned today about a particular Sega PSU common in Astro/NAC that won't run Cave CV-1000 boards.
A thinly veiled brag. Well done sir, well done :D . The definition of "1st World Problems".

All kidding aside, I feel yah on this.

A thinly veiled brag. Well done sir, well done :D . The definition of "1st World Problems".
All kidding aside, I feel yah on this.
Not my CV-1000 (one day maybe) - I do have a CPS3 and a cab with 3.3v in it though so I do have interest in why it happens

@djsheep is replacing one of his Astro PSUs and part of the reason why is that it won't run Cave boards. I'd never heard of the issue before but he sent me the AO page that mentions it

No issues at all, everything went smooth :)

Attachments

• E239BA96-51F4-4780-8091-422360C2A6DB.jpeg
    E239BA96-51F4-4780-8091-422360C2A6DB.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 214
Which PSU?

I have a CV-1000 running fine on a recapped 400-5198. It's the OG PSU that came with the very first Astro Cities. Pretty sure it's the lowest specced of all.

Which PSU?

I have a CV-1000 running fine on a recapped 400-5198. It's the OG PSU that came with the very first Astro Cities. Pretty sure it's the lowest specced of all.
The 400-5198-Y definitely doesn't run CV-1000 games (plus a handful of other systems, even Pandora's Box 6 doesn't work, not that I care!).

As you mentioned, the 400-5198 runs CV-1000 just fine as that's what I have in my two NAC's. It's a strange thing, I belive I read on ArcadeOtaku it has something to do with the weak 12v on the "Y" PSU.

I guess you mean the 400-5198-01Y? Looking at pics online the 12V rail is rated at 1.5A which is plenty enough.

Neither CV-1000 or the Pandora consume a whole lot of power. Could be a load issue. You could try powering something else in addition to the CV-1000 board, like some fans.

my issues were not scsi cable related. I was only using the original ones from my cps3 sets... but the same setup would work on my other cabs that failed on my blast. and I even had everything mounted to a wood board, so it's not like stuff was shifting around. I don't know if it is the 3.3v line that messes it up, or some kind of noise on the 5v line at startup? because if I let the cab start up and then a split second later plugged in the scsi2sd all would be fine... it's only if it's plugged in at boot that it locks up during its own startup sequence.

There’s a startup delay value you can set in the scsi2sd-util. Maybe try setting that to 1 or 2 seconds to see if it helps.

my issues were not scsi cable related. I was only using the original ones from my cps3 sets... but the same setup would work on my other cabs that failed on my blast. and I even had everything mounted to a wood board, so it's not like stuff was shifting around. I don't know if it is the 3.3v line that messes it up, or some kind of noise on the 5v line at startup? because if I let the cab start up and then a split second later plugged in the scsi2sd all would be fine... it's only if it's plugged in at boot that it locks up during its own startup sequence.
Blast City was designed to work for the NAOMI boards and are JVS-compatible (no JVS-ready). So if it is true that the SCSI2SD boards don't work with PSU's that have a 3.3v rail, then the SCSI2SD won't work on your cab.

I just got a v5.1 and tried it on my CPS3 in the NNC, which I think has a 3.3 PSU.
No issue so far... maybe I got lucky? Note that I am using a Jammafier.

AAB15E90-9F63-4C9E-9BD4-790BD31AAF94.jpeg
70FACC16-A2C9-4C11-AAA7-51C6BFCF9169.jpeg

Attachments

• E4C81C48-FEC5-4275-9F82-2C6C2BABD221.jpeg
    E4C81C48-FEC5-4275-9F82-2C6C2BABD221.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 267
  • E61A267F-0A61-45A4-A861-9099A5933570.jpeg
    E61A267F-0A61-45A4-A861-9099A5933570.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Back