What's new
Is buying from iTead not a viable option right now? Should I look for a used, older model?

These posts about the trash run of the latest batch and pages of troubleshooting are making me nervous..

Is buying from iTead not a viable option right now? Should I look for a used, older model?

These posts about the trash run of the latest batch and pages of troubleshooting are making me nervous..
Buy from store.inertialcomputing.com. I had no issues. And when I thought I did have issues with the device, they were very responsive and helpful in trying to troubleshoot. Ultimately my issues ended up being the result of bad SD cards.

hundreds of people bought one and a few had problems only with the last batch so I'd say that it's a safe product. Maybe buy from where @noir recommended.

With the reports of the newer version not working on certain cabs, I would still stick to iTead and get the 5.0a version.

Or pay extra on eBay from the guy in Kentucky.

If you go back one page you'll see a post about 5.1 not working with a CPS3. Just trying to set the record straight so people don't think they need to pay $125 for an older version off eBay.
CPS3 does work to an extent on 5.1After extensive testing I have determined that the 5.1 board does not like power supplies that use a 3.3v rail. If you're planning on using a power supply that doesn't have a 3.3 rail you should be fine.
Consider sharing that with the SCSI2SD team. I'm sure they'd like to hear about your findings.
I did. Alex wasn't having none of it when I told him it didn't work. I gave him all my findings, but he was being a little arrogant about it. Maybe he'll take what I shared with him into consideration with the next revision, but until then I will stick with older revisions.
Perhaps I'm mis-remembering, but I don't recall that, although it's possible I was having an off day :) If you feed a SCSI2SD V5.1 less than five volts, it _WILL NOT WORK_ and that's not the fault of the V5.1. Since we don't have access to a CPS3, we are completely reliant on third party reports of what does and does not work, and, frankly, people typically only provide anecdotal data, not hard data.

When you say "power supplies that use a 3.3v rail, I'd really appreciate it if someone would expand upon what that actually means, in practice. Is there no 5V rail at all? Are you feeding 3.3V to your SCSI2SD? If so, yeah, that's not gonna work. if it did before with V5.0, it shouldn't have. If you don't know for sure, measure the voltage, pretty-please.

I finally get it to works. I have to hold the microSD card tightly into the slot to make it works
@BlinG was right, i think this batch of SCSI2SD from itead is pretty shit. At least it works now, I think next step is to figure how to resolve the issue without manually holding the microSD tightly into their own slot
Why not get a replacement from iTead?
ITead did not respond to any of my emails when I inquired about it. I eventually opened a case through paypal and won the dispute because they never replied. So I did get my money back and got to keep the sort of working scsi2sd, but I much rather of had a 100% working unit...
Yet another reason not to buy minimally and/or un-tested shit from ITEAD. I buy stuff from ITEAD from time to time (not SCSI2SD) , however, we hand test every single SCSI2SD board that we manufacture, and they always ship with the latest firmware. We're a US based company, based in California, and if something goes sideways, we will generally take care of you, even if it's your fault and you did something dumb, as long as you're honest about it with us. With us, you have recourse. With ITEAD, you don't really have any, other than a paypal dispute.

I bought from itead. I will report back once we're up and running.

The adapter seems to work fine. Besides the “you have not enough ram” message I was able to get into the menu and also saw the games list.
One question about the list though. It’s quite hard to scroll the list of games because one lever Klick down jumps 2 to 3 positions down in the list. Is this normal or just my new jlf stick broken?

It's a bug that remain there. The BIOS was made in 2015. I'll fix it and release a new one hopefully soon.

oh yes. Since most people can’t themselves
Skills have nothing to do with it IMO, I find the process a pain in the ass.
If I'm going to bother desoldering and reflashing it needs to be for more than smoothness of the joystick during the selection screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back