What's new
I was about to finally order one of these things and thought I would take a look as the software needed.

However, turns out for the Mac you, the program you use runs of the command line, so you can't just run it like the windows version. Is this correct, or maybe I downloaded the wrong file?

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD
http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD#Files

Problem for me is that I only have a Mac, and I have very limited experience of doing stuff in Terminal.

I was about to finally order one of these things and thought I would take a look as the software needed.

However, turns out for the Mac you, the program you use runs of the command line, so you can't just run it like the windows version. Is this correct, or maybe I downloaded the wrong file?

Problem for me is that I only have a Mac, and I have very limited experience of doing stuff in Terminal.
http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/latest/mac/

Happy I found this thread. Last night I drunkenly purchased a functional CPS3 system with SF3:NG on it. As I don't want to have the SCSI CD ROM drive running, this adapter is fantastic. Thanks!

http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd/latest/mac/
Hi,

Cheers but the programs that are in that link are not executable, in other words once downloaded, I can't click on them to open them - its like the OS doesn't recognise that it is a program file - or that the program file can only be executed from terminal.

Happy I found this thread. Last night I drunkenly purchased a functional CPS3 system with SF3:NG on it. As I don't want to have the SCSI CD ROM drive running, this adapter is fantastic. Thanks!
You know that drunk buying and drunk posting are two very dangerous things, do you :) ?
Oh yeah. But in this case, I was going to be trying to get a CPS3 system anyway. If my experience with obtaining a dead CPS2 A and B board was any indication of the troubles it would take to get one, I saw that listing and figured that the $325 with shipping was a good investment. At the very least, I have a working New Generation game and will eventually update to the SuperBIOS. (Though I will admit, my OCD tendencies are having me wait until the updated version with the original splash screens, and perhaps a way to lock it at USA Version without needing to select region in a menu before playing the game).

With my experience with the CPS2 multi-kit, I'm very confident in your work and am willing to wait as the wait is always worth it with your products. :) /ass-kissing. Lol
You know that drunk buying and drunk posting are two very dangerous things, do you ?
Yeah I already deleted his dick pic.
Haha. Funny stuff. (I may have been drunk, but not stupid drunk. lol). :)

So the CPS3 system came in today. Was missing the SCSI CD-ROM Power Cable, so I just took one from some spare computer parts I had. I've got a SCSI2SD board coming in soon that will replace the CD-ROM anyway. Thankfully, the system booted up no problem. It's a Revision 3 board with the full metal enclosure. SF3:NG works perfectly fine, though on the match ending screen it has graphical distortions with vertical bars appearing. Perfectly fine in every other area though. Haven't yet gone in to see what SIMMs are on there yet, mostly because I like having a working game and know that farting near a CPS3 machine makes it die. Heh. Will definitely be on board for the 128 MB SIMMs, and anxiously await any updates on the CPSIII SuperBIOS, alongside the CPS2 MultiKit games. :)

The CPS3 really isn't that fragile. And as long as you keep the cart cleaned and the battery replaced every 5 or 6 years and don't yank the cart out while powered it will last a long time. In your case I would reseat all of your SIMMs and do a game rewrite. That should fix your problem. Most likely you have one 64mb Simm, two 128mb Simms, and one 32mb Simm. Though I bought one before that the person's 3s cart died so they just placed a working NG cart into it and loaded to sell. Though I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.

Okay guys, I need some help here. I got my SCSI2SD in the mail today, along with an 8 GB microSD card, and the micro-USB connector. First thing I did was use the SCSI2SD Firmware utility to upgrade to the latest firmware. I then adjust my settings for device 1 to what was shown in an image earlier in this thread (but with the size as 700 MB).

i took the microSD card and connected it to my computer, then copied over the ISO file for my SF3 New Generation game. (ISO file was extracted from the MAME.CHD). i put the microSD card into the SCSI2SD adapter and plugged the adapter to the CPS3 mainboard via the SCSI cable. (Did not connect the power cable as it is apparently not needed).

When I boot up the game, it tells me that the CD Drive is not connected properly.

I know it was discussed earlier, but would somebody please post a step-by-step of what needs to be done? I'm reading about needing to DD the image, but what is that? Darkwing Ducking it? Dolby Digital-ing it? i really don't know. Heh.

But any help in getting this working would be appreciated.

First, did you set the drive type to CD-rom?

Second, you can't just place the iso on the card. You need to use a program the copies it to the card in a manner that makes it seen as a CD by the SCSI2SD. I recommend Winhex if you use windows or DD if you use linux.

You may need to buy Winhex or find a cracked version but it is well worth the money. I use it several times a day.

First, did you set the drive type to CD-rom?

Second, you can't just place the iso on the card. You need to use a program the copies it to the card in a manner that makes it seen as a CD by the SCSI2SD. I recommend Winhex if you use windows or DD if you use linux.

You may need to buy Winhex or find a cracked version but it is well worth the money. I use it several times a day.
Thanks Mitsurugi-w. Yup, got it as a CD-ROM drive type. Went and spent the money on WinHex since i'm sure I could make good use of it elsewhere. Going to try and see if this will work now.

Will let you know the results.

Go to disk tool > clone disk

select source file then select the sd card as the drive to write to.

Put beginning sector as 0 and leave everything else.

Press start and it should do everything no problem. You will get a few warnings at this point but you can just skip by them. Just make sure you don't select your hard drive to write to. :P

Well I got a little further along. One thing that folks should remember to do in the SCSI2SD utility is assign the Drive SCSI ID 1, and on the General Settings tab make certain that Enable Parity is marked. Once I did this, the CPS3 system now sees the drive, but it does not recognize the CD-ROM.

What I did is i went into MAME's CHDMAN.EXE program and used the following input: chdman extractcd -i cap-sf3-3.chd -o cap-sf3-3

This produced a .bin file and a file with no extension. Both titled cap-sf3-3. WinHex requires a .iso file to write, so I used a simple .bin to .iso program to convert it to an ISO. i then went and clone the disk to my F: Drive, which is the microSD card, and when I try to use it in my CPS3 system it says that it's an invalid CD. If I look at the microSD card on my computer, it's garbage. Just a bunch of odd symbols and whatnot for file names, and completely nonsense file dates/times.

Is there something I'm not doing right with chdman to get the raw CD image out, or is it something with WinHex?

I appreciate all the help here. This is really driving me crazy.

As an FYI, here's what the contents of the MicroSD look like after WinHex clones the .iso file. Complete Garbage, and the system doesn't recognize it as a valid CD. Are the MAME .chd files useless for trying to burn the CD image?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 555
Someone else used the restore image function to write their card. I wonder if it is necessary for MAME ripped ISOs.

What game disk are you trying to clone again?

Back