What's new
Got to love the SCSI2SD adapter. As i have some downtime while i await measurements for the cab, I did some little modifications to my CPS3 system. The paint has fully dried but still needs a few weeks to cure. I was able to assemble the setup as the PCB doesn't touch any of the metal, but I'm not going to fire it up until the paint is fully cured and no longer emitting the slightest of odors. I reproduced the cage labels in Photoshop and printed them out with my color laser printer that I just got. I also printed out both stickers for the cart itself. I think this looks great and is much more impressive looking than the bare metal cage.

One thing i am considering is pulling off all the paint, spot welding some threaded bolt shafts to where the SCSI2SD adapter attaches so that the screws don't poke through the bottom, then getting everything power-coated so that the finish is super durable. Right now, i have the SCSI2SD bolts cut so short that they barely poke through the bottom. I then have some foam that i put over the top to hide the metal. I don't believe that the SIMMs are touching that, but I want to be super sure. I won't be able to fire this up for another few weeks while the paint cures.

IMG_1084_zpsbgfnnugd.jpg

IMG_1083_zpsqnajgi1g.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fantastic...

I noticed you didn't connected the molex power cable to the SCSI2SD adapter. Does it takes power from teh SCSI cable or you just didn't connected it yet?

Anyway, your setup looks cool ;)

man- haven't seen that form factor for the scsi2sd before.. so short, yet still 3.5" interface...

Looks fantastic...

I noticed you didn't connected the molex power cable to the SCSI2SD adapter. Does it takes power from teh SCSI cable or you just didn't connected it yet?

Anyway, your setup looks cool ;)
Yeah, you don't need to power the SCSI2SD, lovely piece of hardware....

Got to love the SCSI2SD adapter. As i have some downtime while i await measurements for the cab, I did some little modifications to my CPS3 system. The paint has fully dried but still needs a few weeks to cure. I was able to assemble the setup as the PCB doesn't touch any of the metal, but I'm not going to fire it up until the paint is fully cured and no longer emitting the slightest of odors. I reproduced the cage labels in Photoshop and printed them out with my color laser printer that I just got. I also printed out both stickers for the cart itself. I think this looks great and is much more impressive looking than the bare metal cage.

One thing i am considering is pulling off all the paint, spot welding some threaded bolt shafts to where the SCSI2SD adapter attaches so that the screws don't poke through the bottom, then getting everything power-coated so that the finish is super durable. Right now, i have the SCSI2SD bolts cut so short that they barely poke through the bottom. I then have some foam that i put over the top to hide the metal. I don't believe that the SIMMs are touching that, but I want to be super sure. I won't be able to fire this up for another few weeks while the paint cures.
Lovely job.

Thanks guys. Yeah, as Darksoft mentioned, there's no need for the power cable as the needed power comes from the SCSI cable. The only thing i haven't been able to reproduce is the Round void sticker. The one that was on mine had disintegrated so I couldn't get a good photo of it. If anybody's got one of these caged CPS3 systems, if you could do me a favor and take a high res photograph of the round void sticker and let me know the diameter of the circle, I will be able to print out a bunch and use them as initially intended.

Part of me considered spraying the top cover part Blue as i have a can of spray paint that is the same blue as the CPS2 USA region boards. But in the end, I figured fully black would be the best way to do this, and I must say, it looks great.

Does anyone have a metal enclosure for the CPS3 they would be willing to sell? or maybe lend me for a while? I want to measure it and copy the design to either have it replicated somewhere or have it scanned and 3D print a case. I hate having bare PCBs.

Does anyone have a metal enclosure for the CPS3 they would be willing to sell? or maybe lend me for a while? I want to measure it and copy the design to either have it replicated somewhere or have it scanned and 3D print a case. I hate having bare PCBs.
It might take me some time, but I can always take apart my case, heavily photograph it, then measure every single opening and cut and bend and give that to you. You could them perhaps get a new one machined for you out of metal and have the exact thing. There is no special stamping or anything of the sort on the metal itself, and it looks like it could be easily replicated.

Just let me know.

It might take me some time, but I can always take apart my case, heavily photograph it, then measure every single opening and cut and bend and give that to you. You could them perhaps get a new one machined for you out of metal and have the exact thing. There is no special stamping or anything of the sort on the metal itself, and it looks like it could be easily replicated.
Just let me know.
Please!! That should work as long as measurements are dead on. I can replicate it in cad and go from there, if its a straightforward box. I might even replicated it and make it out of acrylic and have it laser cut as a kit. I might even incorporate a slot/holder to protect/mount the scsi2sd card to.

Powder coated aluminum enclosures would be ideal, but the acrylic/pvc might be cheapest way to go.

It might take me some time, but I can always take apart my case, heavily photograph it, then measure every single opening and cut and bend and give that to you. You could them perhaps get a new one machined for you out of metal and have the exact thing. There is no special stamping or anything of the sort on the metal itself, and it looks like it could be easily replicated.Just let me know.
Please!! That should work as long as measurements are dead on. I can replicate it in cad and go from there, if its a straightforward box. I might even replicated it and make it out of acrylic and have it laser cut as a kit. I might even incorporate a slot/holder to protect/mount the scsi2sd card to.
Powder coated aluminum enclosures would be ideal, but the acrylic/pvc might be cheapest way to go.
Okay. I figure I'll get the chance to take it apart this weekend. Work week is going to be hectic so I won't have much free time. I'll post the measurements in a separate thread so that others will be able to use it too.

Awesome, thanks. No rush, I have a pretty busy week myself, and I am flying out of the country this coming weekend for few more days, work related :( so that sucks. Real life seems to have a bad habit of getting in the way of arcade fun, I feel so lucky sometimes when I can sit down with my son to play a game for at most times 1/2 hour.

Wow, that cage looks incredibly sexy. I gotta get my hands on one now!

Just got mine - after much delay caused by eBay Global shipping system - the one I got was already at V4.6 Firmware and I had a 2Gb micro-sd out of my old Blackberry phone I could use.

I downloaded the iso for the custom SH2 (as I have a normal CPS3 cart with Darksoft bios) and used "Win32diskimager" to transfer it across so far so good....

So I fire up scsi2sd-util.exe - Symantec moans but I allow it to run and I get these two screens

scsi2sd-1.JPG

I know I have to set it to CDROM and 700Mb but what about parity & SCSI-ID's or are they OK at the default values?

Attachments

• scsi2sd-2.JPG
    scsi2sd-2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 390
Followed the directions in this thread, working awesome!
IMG_20160408_142305.jpg

IMG_20160407_103825.jpg

Thanks everyone!

P.S. Can anyone hook me up with a Darksoft SuperBIOS cart label?

Back