What's new
Hello everyone. I'm new here and quite green when it comes to working with SCSI2SD interface revision 5.0. I've been trying to resurrect my Apple Pippin in order to play Super Marathon. Sadly, the CD ROM drive has finally bit the dust and there is no bringing it back. I have everything connected properly to the console itself and have a love flat micro USB cable running from it to my PC. Using unecm.exe, I unpacked the Super Marathon disc image into a .bin file and used the HDD raw copy tool to write it onto a 4GB micro SD card.

SCSI2SD setup.jpg

After that, I used the SCSI2SD setup utility to load this setup onto my interface. So far I've had no luck with getting the Pippin to recognize the interface as a 4x CD ROM drive. If anyone could offer some pointers I would gladly take the advice.

Attachments

• SCSI2SD setup 2.jpg
    SCSI2SD setup 2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 419
I unpacked the Super Marathon disc image into a .bin file
How was this action performed?
I'm thinking the best method would have been to mount the Super marathon disc image with Daemon tools then use IMGBurn to rip a *.BIN/*.CUE.

I unpacked the Super Marathon disc image into a .bin file
How was this action performed?I'm thinking the best method would have been to mount the Super marathon disc image with Daemon tools then use IMGBurn to rip a *.BIN/*.CUE.
I had downloaded several Pippin game disc images a while back. These files were zip files that contained .7z archive files of the game disc image and an accompanying .cue file. However, you can't write that on a disc and run the .7z file as is because it's not an image file. I used 7Zip to unpack that file and ended up with a .ecm file. Still, the file wasn't ready to burn to a disc - I had to use the UNECM program to actually get the full workable disc image as a .bin file. This worked because, as soon as I burned it to a disc at low speed and stuck in the Pippin's drive, I was playing the game.

I'll try tonight to use Daemon Tools to mount the image to make a new .bin file to work with. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to tell if I'm having an issue with the Pippin recognizing SCSI2SD interface or if I'm simply going about setting up the SD card the wrong way. The Pippin, no matter which is the case, goes to a splash screen where it shows a CD being inserted into the console. This happens even when no drive is connected, so it's more difficult to troubleshoot than it need be.

This worked because, as soon as I burned it to a disc at low speed and stuck in the Pippin's drive, I was playing the game.
Ah, yes it sounds like this method was fine/perfect as the converted data resulted in a playable disc.
I'll try tonight to use Daemon Tools to mount the image to make a new .bin file to work with.
I don't think this is necessary, after all the converted data did yield a working disc... I was just doing some digging.
Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to tell if I'm having an issue with the Pippin recognizing SCSI2SD interface or if I'm simply going about setting up the SD card the wrong way. The Pippin, no matter which is the case, goes to a splash screen where it shows a CD being inserted into the console. This happens even when no drive is connected, so it's more difficult to troubleshoot than it need be.
Yea that's what I was thinking... It's going to be very hard to rule things out.
Maybe have another shot at the disc geometry/layout in SCSI2SD setup until?
Something like 650mb in size, and Google 74 min sector and layout disc information and copy those numbers as well?

You probably have but I'll check anyway, have you made sure your drive ID and other jumpers on the back of your SCSI2SD match the original drive?

Is there a way to tell the SCSI2SD what brand of drive you want it to emulate? The PiPPiN may well be expecting something specific and won't work with other drive brands

Can you borrow a working SCSI CD drive from someone to rule out the above?

Have you partitioned your SD card so that the PiPPiN only sees the size it is expecting? If it's running some sort of size check on the disc (anti piracy measure) and sees something way beyond a 650mb/700mb disc it may be ignoring it (not sure how your imaging program works in this regard)

If it's running some sort of size check on the disc (anti piracy measure) and sees something way beyond a 650mb/700mb disc it may be ignoring it
Right I thought this too, which is why I suggested checking the disc size (650mb) and setting the sectors to match what a 74min disc would have used (currently his is set for 700mb/80min).

Thanks for the suggestion of changing the amount of sectors on the disc for the drive through the SCSI2SD. It has not worked, but I think you may be on to something with that suggestion. Unfortunately, the only information on the optical drive that I have is that it is a Matsushita brand 4X CD ROM manufactured in 1995.

I'll try what @xodaraP suggested with partitioning the SD card to a size that the machine would expect to see. Any recommendations on programs to use for disk partitioning?

Amigakit is listed as one of the official resellers in the wiki, so you should be fine :)

Reactions: idc
My SCSI2SD just arrived! But the SCSI2SD doesn´t appear to be doing anything. Do I need to have a microSD in before attempting to configure it?

Are you trying to use it for your CPS3? If so, you need to plug it into your computer and configure it per the notes in this thread, and then burn the correct image to the SD card.

Matt

Wanted to bump this post and confirm that these instructions are 100% spot on. Got it working on my first try.

FYI my board came with firmware 4.7.1 and I didn't need to upgrade. Just confirmed the settings in the quoted posts and prepared the SD card. Very happy with my results and not having to deal with an old CD-ROM moving forward.

I think this post needs to be pinned or should at least be referenced at the beginning of this thread. It was pretty time consuming to sift through the instructions to find something that definitively works - just trying to make life easier for the next people to take on this process.

I just got a scsi2sd v5.0a and thanks everyone for this thread :thumbsup:
Everything is working fine when following these steps:
The latest firmware I'm using is 4.7.01

IMG_20170801_191924.jpg

Just pointing out that in the above quoted image the original poster has both the SCSI cable and molex power cable connected.
You actually only need the SCSI cable, the SCSI2SD device has such low power requirements it can run without molex power.

See the underside of mine here with only the SCSI cable connected.
7GtwfmX.jpg

So can I just rip the iso from my 2I disk and use dd or winhex to transfer it to the sd card and it will work? Also has 2i already been ripped? if possible I wouldn't mind doing less work.

Back