What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I'm looking to setup my VOOT game boards soon. I was curious if anyone had any experience wiring up a Sega NAOMI PSU to run a Sega Model 3 PCB.

From an Amperage Standpoint the Model 3 PSU (#5330) provides:
3.3V @ 12A
5V @12A
12V @2A

there are 2 versions of the typical NAOMI PSU
#5443 which provides:
3.3V @12A
5V @12A
12V @4A

and
#5397 which provides
3.3V @12A
5V @10A
12V @2A

Sadly out of the 8 NAOMI PSUs that I have only 1 of them is the 5443, the rest are 5397 models :thumbdown:
So my first question would be: is 10Amp on the 5V lines enough to support a Model 3 board or does it really need the full 12A?

My second question deals with the wires themselves.
The NAOMI PSU only has 4x 5V pins and 2x 3.3V pins by comparison the Model 3 PSU has 10x 5V pins and 5x 3.3V pins
Even worse is the Model 3 PCB itself has 12x 5V input pins and 6x 3.3V input pins. Some of the output pins on the Model 3 PSU connector are crimped to 2 wires to support all the pins on the Model 3 board.

It seems all pins of like voltage are tied together on the Model 3's filterboard but I don't know how much amperage each individual pin is rated for, there might be a reason Sega spread it out over so many pins.

Any advice from someone who has worked with Model 3 stuff would be appreciated.

A couple of amps either way won't make any difference. The NAOMI and Model 3 power supplies are virtually identical and compatible for home use. I use a Model 3 power supply to run NAOMI, Triforce, Chihiro, Model 3 and a dozen other boards that need a JVS power input. Obviously not all at the same time heheh! ;)

I have the same problem with a model 2 & model 3.

Last Bronx ok :) Dead or Alive ok :) ,VF3 when he wants X/ & VF2 even worse once when he wants :cursing: .

I want a Seasonic PSU :love: with + 5v & + 3.3V setting potentiometer Grrrrrrrrrrr :cursing: :cursing:

Sega Logisitics Service in UK actually sold an official Model 3 to Naomi JVS PSU 'upgrade' adapter loom. I've got one but it's currently in a cab that's in storage.

Part number: 998-0166
Model3_JVS_Loom.jpeg

From my experience the 'Naomi' PSU's with the black sticker that are rated at 12a are from Chihiro cabs, the 10a ones with the silver sticker are from Naomi cabs.

As for Amperage, obviously for long term usage in a place like a game center more Amps is more desirable, but for home use it should be OK. I've been happily using the 10a version with Chihiro, Naomi multiboard and Model 3 without any issues.

Just recently I took F355 and Daytona 2 cabs to an event in the UK and they lasted all weekend with the 10a JVS PSU's running them.

Reactions: nem
Sega Logisitics Service in UK actually sold an official Model 3 to Naomi JVS PSU 'upgrade' adapter loom
Sega made a loom for this too, a Number of Sega NAOMI games shipped with Model 3 power supplies.

But that's irrelevant because the original question and the challenge here is
NOT can you adapt a Model 3 PSU to NAOMI
it's can you adapt a NAOMI PSU to Model 3

This thread is pushing 4 years old, I have no idea why it was bumped, but I am indeed running NAOMI PSUs in my Model 3 VOOT cab now.

What I will say from the experience, trying to adapt the low pin count low gauge wire on the NAOMI PSU to the high pin count high gauge wire on the Model 3 board is a real pain in the ass. Since this was in a dedicated cabinet I was able to use Buss bars to accomplish this, basically output the NAOMI to a ring terminal, and then mulitple smaller ring terminals connected to the Model 3 and tied together with a nut and bolt (mounted to the cab).

5110b059650d96bb6c0f9265deaffed7_preview_featured.jpg
You an make your own here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1523027

Also one NAOMI PSU was the lower Amp variant and the other is the higher Amp variant, the higher amp variant worked great, but the lower amp variant I had to run a little over voltage because otherwise it suffers from voltage drops under high draw and the game would freeze. Recapping, switching to 3 other (lower amp variant) PSUs did not resolve the issue, and eventually I found another high amp variant and that runs stable.

So Model 3 absolutely uses up that extra output in my experience.

Sega Logisitics Service in UK actually sold an official Model 3 to Naomi JVS PSU 'upgrade' adapter loom
Sega made a loom for this too, a Number of Sega NAOMI games shipped with Model 3 power supplies.
But that's irrelevant because the original question and the challenge here is
NOT can you adapt a Model 3 PSU to NAOMI
it's can you adapt a NAOMI PSU to Model 3
Sorry, I got it the wrong way around. The adapter I mentioned is 100% intended to be installed in a Model 3 machine and it then allows Naomi JVS PSU's to be used in a Model 3 cab using the exisiting wiring. It's the cleanest way to upgrade the PSU in a Model3 cab.

Like I said, I've had no issues running my cabs on the 10a version. But then again I'm using NOS PSU's which have never been used. Aging caps and the like may be detrimental to stability, but I would certainly use the 12a for extended useage.

I didn't see the date of the thread, I was just trying to help.

The adapter I mentioned is 100% intended to be installed in a Model 3 machine and it then allows Naomi JVS PSU's to be used in a Model 3 cab using the exisiting wiring
Looking at the pics again I see what you're saying now. it seems it requires the original Model 3 PSU to Model 3 harness rather than going directly from the NAOMI PSU to the Model 3's Filter Board.

unfortunately for me I didn't have an original Model 3 PSU harness to work with since I was upgrading a Model 2 cabinet (which lacked a 3.3V capable PSU) to a Model 3 game and the NAOMI PSUs were a much cheaper alternative to original Model 3 PSUs.

I didn't see the date of the thread, I was just trying to help.
no worries, you're not the one who bumped it :thumbup:

Back