What's new

K405

Professional
Reaction score
Picked up a Sony PVM-2730QM last Saturday. It was a 2,5 hour drive from my hometown to Vaals in Limburg. 2,5 hours driving for a dutch person is crazy long :D being as NL is so ridiculously small. I had a nice talk with the guy selling it, back in the day he was actually working in the Philips tube factory in Eindhoven (home of Philips). Unfortunately he is now unemployed, again, his last employer Voodoofone outsourced his job to Eastern Europe, Romania. That's the price we pay for evolution, I guess :/

The picture is in pretty rough shape, size, geometry and color in upper right corner is pretty shit ||
Played around with neodymium magnets to get the upper corner color back in shape, will need to do this a couple times I'm guessing.

As for the geometry, I have played around with the pot's but can't get the picture any better then in the pictures, pretty bad unfortunately.
There's a gazallion electrolytic capacitors on the PCB's, thinking of changing the cap's near the pot's hoping this will influence the range of the geometry, picture size. The picture is too small, picture borders are visible and can't be stretched outside the field of view, does that text make sense? ^^

Should I buy the service manual? Mess about a little more? Or is this thing fubar?

pvm_3.png
pvm_2.png
pvm_1.png
pvm_4.png
pvm_5.png
pvm_7.png
pvm_8.png
pvm_9.png

I have the service manual if you need it...

Edit:
You found it already ;)

If this thing is FUBAR, please let me know as I would need some parts to fix mine.
So please don't toss it away :D

The service manual gave some more pot's to turn. :D
What's wrong with yours?

I try to explain it as short as possible ;)

Picture is nice and crisp and everything works perfect, but after the first 'cold start' the tube shuts down after 5 minutes.
Controls on the side, audio etc. keeps working.
Tube is not static anymore.

Manually turn it OFF and back ON everything works again, but now the period is about 15-20 minutes till the next shutdown.
Manually turn it OFF and back ON everything works again, but now the period can last till 30-45 minutes till the next shutdown.
After doing this 2-3-4 times is stays ON for the entire evening.

I thought it was an easy fix, checked and measured many things myself, checked solder joint on some relays and LOPT etc., no joy :(
Brought it to a olkschool TV repair guy in my town who knows his way around tubes and PVM/BVM's.
He replaced some caps, re-soldered some solder joint from power relays, charged me close to €100 and I picked it up.

Coming home and turning it ON, exactly the same, returned it, he worked on it for a few more days but couldn't find the definite cause.
He didn't charge me for this extra time, and he gave me a nice discount on another repair he did for me (Harman Kardon subwoofer), so I don't mind paying him initially, I just want my PVM fixed :D

At the time I got this PVM there was another 2730QM on marktplaats.nl with a defective tube, I'm still regreting not getting that as a donor.
My idea would be to switch out 1 PCB at a time to find out which PCB's causes the unexpected shutdowns.
If this wouldn't isolate the issue then my conclusion would be it is the tube/neck itself...

Indeed too bad you didn't pick up the one from marktplaats that would have been perfect. I'll keep an eye out, if I'm getting fed up with mine, you can have mine, I would never toss this kind of equipment in the bin. :) although I did throw away my Sony trinitron ages ago! to only pick one up secondhand recently :D

I have that same exact monitor and the geometry on mine looks very similar. So yes, I would put it down to aging components.

discoloration in the corner just needs a good degaussing. I keep a ring style manual degausser as the ones built into the tube generally don't fix bad discoloration like that.

as for the geometry you likely just need some fresh caps... this PVMs have about a billion caps so it's a pain to do. I'm not familiar with this specific model but often geometry can be adjusted through a service menu if there are no pots for that.

I don't see anything here that can't be fixed :)

I'm jealous, this is one of my all-time favorite CRTs :)

I've been nobbing my monitor a bit. Still a bit rough but acceptable, when running games, will keep hunting for a better one :) maybe do a cap replacement and then following the calibration steps from the service manual to the letter.

sony_pvm_2730qm_pots.png
20170307_211042.png
20170308_062531.png
20170308_062544.png

@PascalP what does your geometry look like? Better or worse? :)

Also did your CRT guy look at page 21, 4-5 Safety Check Adjustment of the service manual?
Did you try to turn the Brightness down to a minimum and to check if the shutdown problem persists?

If I remember correct my geometry was better, I did adjust it a little bit when I got it.
But it has been a few months since I last tried it.

Will get it from storage soon and do a test like you mention with the brightness.

Back