What's new
Got mine switched up, thanks for the patch kuze and for burning it for me skate323k137!

Also when digging out my Martial Masters cart I discovered a Spectral Vs Generation cart that I have no memory of buying and wasn't on my list of carts, so that was nice :)

Any other English patches/character unlocks for just about any cart will be greatly appreciated as well.

You, sir, are a hacker and a gentleman!

I just replaced the v103 ROM on my Chinese cart with this, and it works brilliantly! Now I can finally make sense of the playing instructions and end-of-match taunts. Thanks (and apologies for the necrobump)!

Picked up a martial masters cart recently, any chance anyone can burn me a English ver with extra characters happy to pay for time and parts ?
Thanks

Hey @Paul79, update your profile with your location so someone local can help :)

I patched and burned a new u09 rom based on the instructions. I replaced the u09 chip from the cartridge and the main menu came up. I have the taiwan region.
I backed up my 2 roms u09 and u10, replaced those on martmast.zip mame (fightcade) and it did the same thing. Not sure if I have to replace the u10 as well?

The u09 chip I made was using a 27c322.

Here are some images
BBBBA61A-F5C2-4CB2-95A0-FC924AE9159F.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-02-02 144659.png

I'm not too versed in this so excuse the ignorance. Please let me know if you need more information.

Can you try running romident against your backups and see if they match MAME?

It looks like you may have a newer U10 than MAME has based on the pic.

If you want to upload your backups and pm me a link I can take a further look.

I also dumped some martial masters chips from the Taiwan version, I was able to upgrade mine with just the U9. I contributed them to mame, I bet my post with the .zip is still here somewhere. The internal protection code wasn't dumped at that time and the mame dev I was working with never sent me the eprom to display the internal code. @rtw was helping me with it. I don't have my cart anymore but it would be sweet if we could complete this dump with @tacobell s help

Last edited:
There is a way to dump the internal protection code.

This involves burning 2 EPROMs and taking pictures/video of hexdumps on the screen.

Should take maybe 30-45 minutes. I have done this plenty of times before :D

Thanks @rtw . Last we left off, I was waiting on someone else to send me that code.

I'm going to sent @tacobell a modified U9 anyway, if you have the code for the other 2 roms I will burn them for free as a service to the community assuming he's willing to go through the process of installing them and taking the necessary pictures.

As soon as @tacobell says that he is OK with this I will contact the author of the code and ask him for the necessary info.

As soon as @tacobell says that he is OK with this I will contact the author of the code and ask him for the necessary info.
Sounds good, thank you. I let tacobell know how it would work, so I think you guys can probably get it from here. But should you need anything @tacobell just ask. It will be nice to see the dump of this one finally fixed.

Alright fellas, regarding dumping the Taiwan version (sorry, a little off topic for this thread), My Taiwan cart is no longer in my possession. To get this fixed/dumped properly in MAME, we need someone with a TW cart that is either comfortable burning/pigybacking ROMS, or perhaps loaning the cart for the procedure. It's not urgent but if someone that fits the bill finds this post some day, holler.

I got a reply from the original designer of this technique. He said that there was no need to dump this internal ROM. The reason is that it would most likely only differ by a few bytes. I.e. the region. The current dumping technique requires hand crafting a trojan which will take some serious effort and in this case the return of investment would be very low.

What we really need is some clever people who can develop alternate methods of getting access to the ARM code and the encryption tables. To make life more challenging we know there are 4 different HW revisions of the protection. The later HW revisions do not run any external code at all so we cannot leverage that vector.

Just wanted to say thanks for this work, a friend programmed the eprom, i put on U9, and voilà :).

Back