What's new

buzzmx

Beginner
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me :)

I am having a bit of trouble with My Multicart; don't know who's the culprit: the Multicart or my ST-V???

It was working like a charm and then just as I was finishing making my overly complex games selector (Pictured Below) my vertical sync went on my monitor ;(

So after waiting months for the replacement part to arrive (I'm not paying $35 shipping on a $1.60 part) then finding it's the wrong part then doing it again. Now my Astro City is purring like a kitten and all is good :)

But then when I boot up the ST-V it says "can't read game cartridge" so I put in a normal ST-V game cart and it works :|

When I change the game on the Multicart the second LED blinks like normal and stops then after reset still no joy; it's like it's getting power but not making connection with the ST-V.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting would be GREAT :D as my attempts of plugging it in and out multiple times have not worked :P

The cart has only ran for about 3 hours in total, i was only using the jumper to select the games, and when my Astro was out of service the cart was stored in a it's postage box in a draw.

Thanks for reading my long winded request :D

IMG_20150818_163836.jpg <--- Finished with nothing to do but wait :(

So let me see if I get what happened here. Your cart was working properly for about 3 hours but then after the problem with your monitor it stopped working, right?

so when the two lights are on it means that it's loading a new game. After some seconds (about 15-30) one of them should turn off. If that's the case, please power it off and on and it should start the cartridge inmediately without any message or error.

It can be also a bad contact on the STV or cartridge connector, so please insert/remove it a couple of times to make sure it's not that.

Let us know how it goes.

Hey Darksoft,

Thanks for the reply. The Astro City cab I got needed some work so I didn't get a chance to sit down and play it, the Multi Cart was used for testing purposes (after rewiring and installing new buttons)

The light sequence goes fine, and I restart and get the same error.

As I mentioned in the email I sent you I've tested 3 game carts on the ST-V and they run.

I also checked the Cart slot with a multi meter.

As I said in the email it could be a problem with the ST-V Main baord; does the Multi Cart use any additional pin the standard games don't use?

Are there any test I can do on the Multi Cart; checking voltages or connectivity?

Thanks again for your time :)

Hey Darksoft,

Thanks for the reply. The Astro City cab I got needed some work so I didn't get a chance to sit down and play it, the Multi Cart was used for testing purposes (after rewiring and installing new buttons)

The light sequence goes fine, and I restart and get the same error.

As I mentioned in the email I sent you I've tested 3 game carts on the ST-V and they run.

I also checked the Cart slot with a multi meter.

As I said in the email it could be a problem with the ST-V Main baord; does the Multi Cart use any additional pin the standard games don't use?

Are there any test I can do on the Multi Cart; checking voltages or connectivity?

Thanks again for your time :)
No, no extra pins used. Check voltages see if 5V is stable, but I guess your problem is coming from somewhere else. Where are you based?

Sup Darksoft

Thanks for your reply :)

+5v and +12v are all stable, and I reside in Melbourne, Australia.

Hay SmokeMonster,

Checked both the connecter and the PSU the +5 and +12 are solid. I also checked the voltages at a few points on the ST-V Board and they are spot on.

Thanks for the suggestion :D

try pushing both sh2 processors. First one, then the other, then both...those tend to fail a lot. Also make sure you insert/remove the cartridge a couple of times to get rid of any dust.

If that doesn't work, try on a different Mobo to discard that. If still persist, then send back to me.

Hi DarkSoft

I know it's been a long time but I finally got a second ST-V Board a few months ago; my girlfriend lost her job for about a year (no spare cash)

I have tested the Multi Cart and still the same result. I can send/post photos and perform any test you can suggest.

Also if anyone is looking at buying a ST-V Board I have a spare :)

Back