What's new

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with sf2ce variants? I just picked up a board that boots up as Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition. 920313 ETC. Everything was well and good until I executed an air fireball with Ken. Then another. Air Hurricane kick? No problem. Shoryuken? Who needs it, I have an Air Shoryouken. I know there are a lot of variants out there, and my rom 22/23 are labeled "3009" but otherwise I can't quite identify which variant this is. It's not rainbow, for sure. It does seem like I can do any move in the air (blanka electricity? check) but otherwise it's normal.

I got a sf2ce romset from the interwebs, and Rom 21 verifies, and Rom 1 verifies... haven't checked all the rest yet. I burned a new 22/23, and the game re-boots when it loads a stage, either as part of the intro or as part of a normal game. Anyone have any ideas what to check? Putting back in the 22/23 that it came with, the thing plays fine. Could it be a PAL? I sort of thought only rom 21/22/23 were touched when powering one of the variants.

There's heaps of modified SF2:CE variants out there, Rainbow and Red Wave are the 2 best known, is there a modified title screen?

No unfortunately the title looks normal and the other roms look stock. I'm leaning towards this GAL I see on the board...

Post a pic of the GAL, but usually a bad GAL will cause serious malfunctions. That said, the GALs are in MAME so you can program a new one for testing.

If you have an EPROM programmer, I suggest pulling the ROM chips, dumping them, and comparing the CRCs with MAME.

Stupid question: is this an original board set?
Re: 21/22/23 what types of eprom and which speeds are you using?

Maybe a picture or two of the board and eeproms will help identify the version of your SF

I'll grab some pics. I assume it's an original board set (i.e. it's a 3 layer cps1 board, not a bootleg in that respect). Good thought to check the ROM speed, I just grabbed the first one I could find that was the same size. Blizzard today.. will have to report back tomorrow, thanks all for the suggestions!

Neat update... I ruled out the ROM chips / speed involved by burning the hacked code onto my spare ROMs. It runs the hack even with my new chips. It still gets stuck in a boot loop when I try actual sf2ce code on ROMs 22+23.

For fun, I dumped my hacked 22/23 and tried to run it in sf2ceua (the usa variant, only 22 and 23 are different from the parent). It causes a good copy of sf2ce to get into a boot loop in the exact same fashion as my board. So I'm now pretty sure the GAL I see on my B Board is the last piece of the puzzle, and I can burn a new one without issue (from mame I think it's s9263b.1a).

The only thing is, I don't know where this bootleg version came from, or what it's name is, and for all I know someone out there may want to play it. If it uses Rom 22/23 and a hacked PAL, that means I should be dumping the GAL that's on my board (but I don't think I can do that). Anyway I'll test out the PAL theory next week. Anyone think it's worth preserving? Bunch of air-moves are possible, but nothing else really noticeable. Admittedly I didn't play it much.

board pic: http://imgur.com/a/4NfDZ
Want the roms?: https://mega.nz/#!RsplHArb!1pIMgTKSvy00LWceYH_GIkHTsnWfoca9Xan6Nnfpje0
title screens: http://imgur.com/a/nlTat + http://imgur.com/a/EB4bR

Last edited:
If you're happy to ship it I imagine someone like caius or Porchy can dump the GAL and ROMs to preserve this version if it hasn't been dumped already (and they are happy to do it off course)

I think I can dump the GAL on my programmer as well, I'll have to check.

Edit: I see you've dumped the ROMs, never mind.

S9263 is the PAL on the B board that controls the tiling system so I guess it makes sense that it could be modified to allow air moves and stuff

Last edited:
Seems like the PAL that was customized was actually the BPRG1. After a fight with a GAL that actually was a bad chip, I found a good one, wrote the version Porchy posted on his site, and everything seems to be working like normal now. I do see they have a bootleg BPRG1 on the site too so I'll test that out with the old ROMs and report back. If it's not that code, I'll submit it for ripping.

Final Update. My board was running a slight variant of the Hung Hsi bootleg (sf2bhh.zip) that was not in my set. Someone modified the code on rom 23 to remove the Hung Hsi attribution on the title screen, so it REALLY looks like an unmodified sf2ce.

Funny thing is when you burn the Hung Hsi bootleg roms 22/23 and try to play it on real hardware, it boot-loops. MAME doesn't list it as having anything edited besides 22/23, but in reality it requires an edited BPRG1 to play. My variant requires the edited BPRG1 to play, too. That's the chip I sent off to Porchy, who finished the dump and put it on JAMMArcade.net.

So if you want to play it, grab the ROMs off Mega, and get this file from his site:
http://www.jammarcade.net/files/pals/CPS1-bprg1(hung).jed

Good times!

to give credit where it's due... Porchy figured out mine was a variant of the sf2bhh code. My BPRG1 chip was a GAL so it had been replaced, so it was the natural place to start troubleshooting. I can't claim to be much of a sleuth here but I'm also glad it's running the stock code now!

I’m having the same problem. Other than the looping, all other glitches are exactly what I’m experiencing. Had no idea it had a hacked chip as it was sold as an original. First tried cleaning all the removable roms but made no difference. I’m new with digging into these PCB boards. Do I need a rom programmer to rewrite a chip? Anyone able to explain it to me like I have no idea?

Thanks!

I’m having the same problem. Other than the looping, all other glitches are exactly what I’m experiencing. Had no idea it had a hacked chip as it was sold as an original. First tried cleaning all the removable roms but made no difference. I’m new with digging into these PCB boards. Do I need a rom programmer to rewrite a chip? Anyone able to explain it to me like I have no idea?

Thanks!
Is your BPRG1 labeled (chip at 11d), or is it clearly a custom/replacement like mine was (pics above)? I can burn and ship you a new GAL if you want, just confirm that it's actually what you think you need!

Hey man thanks for the reply. I’ll try and take a look tonight and report back

Thanks!
Is your BPRG1 labeled (chip at 11d), or is it clearly a custom/replacement like mine was (pics above)? I can burn and ship you a new GAL if you want, just confirm that it's actually what you think you need!
just took a look and the chip at 11d definitely looks replaced and newer. Doesn’t look stock. Pic attached to get your input.

If you’re willing to burn me a new one I’d be very thankful!

Attachments

• 9E7F895B-5967-4209-8E52-6590EBE170F8.jpeg
    9E7F895B-5967-4209-8E52-6590EBE170F8.jpeg
    465.2 KB · Views: 270
just took a look and the chip at 11d definitely looks replaced and newer. Doesn’t look stock. Pic attached to get your input.
If you’re willing to burn me a new one I’d be very thankful!
Oh yeah that's not stock. PM me your address and I'll ship one out

Can’t thank you enough. I took a beat up Midway cab and converted it into a dedicated Big Blue SF2 CE. Spent months on it only to plug in the PCB and find the glitch. So I’m very appreciative!

Attached is a before and after of the cab

Attachments

• 93F1784E-BC59-41F4-81A7-8EC724C668D2.jpeg
    93F1784E-BC59-41F4-81A7-8EC724C668D2.jpeg
    972 KB · Views: 207
  • 8704D9EF-7B12-4518-8CD1-F7EC18C1603D.jpeg
    8704D9EF-7B12-4518-8CD1-F7EC18C1603D.jpeg
    882.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 2F301293-C23C-43EB-B7BD-7A9F768E0700.jpeg
    2F301293-C23C-43EB-B7BD-7A9F768E0700.jpeg
    718.9 KB · Views: 2,029
  • A85B2F9D-08D0-4557-9A60-605D227B60AA.jpeg