What's new

skate323k137

Enlightened
Reaction score
I have a ripoff X2 build (similar proc/graphics card/etc) that I've been using for a while with a JVS-PAC. While I like the JVS-PAC, it's just another thing to have to hook up when I run this in a net city cab.

I came across this gallery that shows someone wiring a JVS serial interface to a rs485 adapter and using it directly. Has anyone here done the same?

http://imgur.com/a/grdqU

I grabbed a couple of the pictured adapters, but my breakout board has a few more slots on it than the one used here. I'll probably try to work on this coming up but I'm curious if anyone else has done it to run the old typex loader with a normal JVS IO board.

Nice find. Haven't tried this, but I am wondering what the advantage is over the JVS PAC you already have. Seems to make more sense if you make your build more clean by making the JVS PAC internal somehow. With the above route you would also still have the converter sticking out of the back port.

if it works, I could just build it in to the box and wire it to a USB port on the box.

My main thing is it's a pain to have to remap keys etc. The default MAME keymapping is not friendly for normal windows apps, and I have to use an alternative unsupported keymap on the JVS pac to avoid commands like alt-space that will crash the typex games. So I have to leave shift-keys enabled on the JVS PAC, switch its keymap, and then use typexconfig to bind the "keys" to the game. It would be way easier if I could just hook the IO up and the games could recognize their native button settings.

Now that makes more sense :)

Having to map the keys can be a pain indeed even if you only have to do it once.

Let us know how you get on with this, curious how well it works.

I tinkered around a bit at some point before I got a 'real' Type X2.
Using the ArcadePCLoader mapping the buttons was a piece of cake with the graphical UI

Yeah don't get me wrong, my current setup works. It just would be awesome to be able to skip the jvspac for typex games.

I tried with both the JVS-PAC and the Sintech RS485 adapter you link to, both did the job IIRC...

I grabbed a couple of the pictured adapters, but my breakout board has a few more slots on it than the one used here. I'll probably try to work on this coming up but I'm curious if anyone else has done it to run the old typex loader with a normal JVS IO board.
if you have the version with 6 breakouts you should be able to wire it like this example
JVS Information extractor

I have the 4 breakout type and also used it succesfully to extract a log from my I/O, so it definitely works with JVS cabs ;)

Perfect, thanks. I forgot about that thread, that's a great place to start.

So I must have done this YEARS ago, and never got it to work. I did it again today and turns out it always worked, but was just trying to run the games natively and they'd throw an I/O Error. My question then I guess is, what are you using to run X2 games thru JVS without going natively?

I missed this thread when it was first created but this is relevant to my interests as well.

Right now I use a JVS PAC in my net city. I think I have all the parts to get back to trying this, I'll update if I make any progress.

if you want to run the games natively you will need the taito jvs to serial board found in all TTX as this is also a jvs device in the chain and needs to be present for most if not all games to work.

if you want to use a JVS-PAC or similar then one of the many keyboard to jvs interpreters out will do the job

if you want to run the games natively you will need the taito jvs to serial board found in all TTX as this is also a jvs device in the chain and needs to be present for most if not all games to work.
I'm wondering if the loader may get around that. Did you look at the imgur post?

no the way the loader works is it diverts the calls to the serial device eg the jvs devices. and then handles them inside itself. if you were to use a rs485 to rs232 while using the launcher the game will never contact the com port

Thanks for the info. Do you think the gallery is missing something? It really seems he went straight from com to rs485 to an IO board. Perhaps it was false hope.

Edit: to restate, I have no problem using a JVS PAC. it would just be great to not have to for type x games. Seems like with this info I may just be stuck with the JVS PAC.

Last edited:
my opinion and this is about as much as i will say about it ;) if the game you want to play has a nesica release play that one. going kb to fast io needs alot less processing plus the game reads from it more regularly.

as for the imgur. it may very well work for tetris. there may be a few games that do actually work with that method. which the imgur gallery is basically how you would do it.

Is this the Taito I/O to serial board?

F5B9BB8C-DB48-4A22-BC61-BA1446EB31D7-3512-0000037C7454566E.jpeg

Back