What's new
btw, that datasheet clears up your other question.
the crystal is 32.768KHz
:)
calendar crystal... Neo MVS boards use the same type
how so?
if the game is writing data to a non-existant cmos ram - it's not the games fault!
Could be a anti conversion measure? The game still runs if an op converts it but not properly so they contact Williams/Midway and get told to buy the board instead of trying to convert one? Either that or for whatever reason NBA Hangtime uses the calendar for something, maybe specific unlocks? Character X can't be unlocked unless it's a certain date/past a certain date?

Hello everyone!
Earlier in the thread there was a post for the "Any U64" romsets. Those were created by me!

Thanks yavuzg for the concise feedback with photos on the rom hacks and potential problems.

I patched the start up test screen to display 'ANY-U64' in place of the Game ID so collectors would know it was a conversion. I also RE'd the checksum routine and wrote an app to calc/write new checksum bytes so checksum works and isn't patched out/bypassed.

Darksoft - the level 2 security check was another check later on in the code that looks for the game id. I missed it too when first patching :) The id check is the same if you search the disasm for same code

Credit problems - I haven't had that happen myself, perhaps cmos needs to be reset (book keeping issue?)

Start up without PIC -- the PIC has several functions that it provides to the Wolf unit pcb, so it is needed

Hello @brizzo nice to have you here. Please let us know more about you in the introduction thread. I'm sure many people want to hear about your current projects :thumbsup:

Code:
MK3 V3.21:

FFB0A770: 42 0B EF FD        CMPI   210h,A2                 ; check calculated value (528)
FFB0A790: 05 CA              JREQ   FFB0A7F0h               ; jump if equal
FFB0A7A0: 42 0B 48 FE        CMPI   1B7h,A2                 ; check calculated value (439)
FFB0A7C0: 02 CA              JREQ   FFB0A7F0h               ; jump if equal
FFB0A7D0: 00 C0 FE FF        JR     FFB0A7D0h               ; endless loop - stop code execution

NBA HANGTIME:

FFAEFBD0: 42 0B EF FD        CMPI   210h,A2                 ; check calculated value (528)
FFAEFBF0: 17 CA              JREQ   FFAEFD70h               ; jump if equal
FFAEFC00: 42 0B 34 FE        CMPI   1CBh,A2                 ; check calculated value (459)
FFAEFC20: 14 CA              JREQ   FFAEFD70h               ; endless loop - stop code execution
From my notes, here are two examples of how the check works. The value being compared here (shown in decimal, in brackets), are the first three digits of the serial number labeled on the U64 PIC.

But what I wanted to show is there are two checks in every Wolf unit game. It always looks for 528, then a unique value for each game. The serial prefix 528 was perhaps a 'developer id' used internally, so they had a single PIC for booting any game

I can confirm it is possible to create a PIC that returns an encoded serial number starting with 528 :D

A wise person point out to me recently how few people within the community actually have the skills to circumvent the various forms of protection used in these games over the years.

Welcome brizzo, and yes please share all that sexy info! :D

I'm all for a wolf unit multi. It would put more wolf units back on the market and reduce wear and tear from swapping roms.

The only way to know for sure is installing those missing components I guess.
Just ordered some MK41T56N from aliex. I'll let you know the outcome...
Installed it, along with the RTC crystal. Nothing changed. Same errors. Installing it has absolutely no positive or negative effect.

Either;

a) Additional components needed.
b) The MK41T56N from aliex is a dud

...and I have 4 rows of roms and ... nothing :thumbsup: at U55 ! so looks like I'll try and do Maximum Hang time in there or possibly UMK3 ... or a multi ! :evil:

Attachments

• u64.PNG
    u64.PNG
    436.1 KB · Views: 359
Having fun ...

Blank checking... Code Buffer
Elapsed time: 0.91 seconds.
Device blank check failed at address: 0x00007E, Read= 0x7F.
Blank check failed
Elapsed time: 9.05 seconds.
Device blank check failed at address: 0x010002, Read= 0xFE.
Blank check failed
Elapsed time: 0.91 seconds.
Device blank check failed at address: 0x0000CE, Read= 0x7F.
Blank check failed
Elapsed time: 114.85 seconds.
Device blank check failed at address: 0x0E0B06, Read= 0xFE.
Blank check failed
Elapsed time: 2.95 seconds.
Device blank check failed at address: 0x00498B, Read= 0xFB.
Blank check failed

at least some work but man ... lots of roms of that stuff!!

hopefully the third erase will work!

If you're using one of those plastic cheap china uv erasers, put 2 chips max in the top right corner of the drawer and set for 15 minutes

it's an eraser that I bought with the GQ-4X4 ...

6 chips left on 26 ... almost there ! man I will NOT be swapping games often!!

Much easier to buy many blank roms ;)

Also if not mentioned for eproms you can clean the rom window with iso alcohol and a cotton swab before UV erasing.

the chips need to be up against the glass and away from the tube ends.
also, i dont know how long your doing it but i erase for 20min's+

thanks guys ... I'm using goo gone to clean the windows and yeah .. the roms were cheap but needed erasing.

doing 30 min now and much better results but one or two still giving me the finger...:D

Last edited:
Wow, I guess I should have read through all the forums. I had this wolf unit multi idea years ago , now it looks like people are all over it.
Brizzo just FYI, the PIC chip codes are all almost identical except in three different places, I'm assuming the PIC serial number with the first three digits is what is needed which is why I started a thread a long while back with all the PIC serials I could find. I can probably change a PIC to the 528 that you mentioned as well (I have most of the PIC codes).

I think the only way to do a multi Wolf PCB is to be able to make a PCB that plugs into all the sockets on the board and then feeds the sockets with correct rom for each game from a SD card . The security is already removed so its basically a hardware game at this point. Its crazy expensive to buy the 8mb eproms these days and most of the games use the 801s. Hell with the speeds raspberry pis are running at, you could probably just build a WolfPi setup with jamma adapter running some sort of mame.

Back