Midway Wolf conversions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• stj wrote:

btw, that datasheet clears up your other question.
      the crystal is 32.768KHz
      :)
      calendar crystal... Neo MVS boards use the same type

stj wrote:

how so?
      if the game is writing data to a non-existant cmos ram - it's not the games fault!

Could be a anti conversion measure? The game still runs if an op converts it but not properly so they contact Williams/Midway and get told to buy the board instead of trying to convert one? Either that or for whatever reason NBA Hangtime uses the calendar for something, maybe specific unlocks? Character X can't be unlocked unless it's a certain date/past a certain date?
      Namco Cyber Lead and Sega Astro City owner
      My VAPS Profile
    • Hello everyone!
      Earlier in the thread there was a post for the "Any U64" romsets. Those were created by me!

Thanks yavuzg for the concise feedback with photos on the rom hacks and potential problems.

I patched the start up test screen to display 'ANY-U64' in place of the Game ID so collectors would know it was a conversion. I also RE'd the checksum routine and wrote an app to calc/write new checksum bytes so checksum works and isn't patched out/bypassed.

Darksoft - the level 2 security check was another check later on in the code that looks for the game id. I missed it too when first patching :) The id check is the same if you search the disasm for same code

Credit problems - I haven't had that happen myself, perhaps cmos needs to be reset (book keeping issue?)

Start up without PIC -- the PIC has several functions that it provides to the Wolf unit pcb, so it is needed
    • Source Code

1. MK3 V3.21:
      2. FFB0A770: 42 0B EF FD CMPI 210h,A2 ; check calculated value (528)
      3. FFB0A790: 05 CA JREQ FFB0A7F0h ; jump if equal
      4. FFB0A7A0: 42 0B 48 FE CMPI 1B7h,A2 ; check calculated value (439)
      5. FFB0A7C0: 02 CA JREQ FFB0A7F0h ; jump if equal
      6. FFB0A7D0: 00 C0 FE FF JR FFB0A7D0h ; endless loop - stop code execution
      7. NBA HANGTIME:
      8. FFAEFBD0: 42 0B EF FD CMPI 210h,A2 ; check calculated value (528)
      9. FFAEFBF0: 17 CA JREQ FFAEFD70h ; jump if equal
      10. FFAEFC00: 42 0B 34 FE CMPI 1CBh,A2 ; check calculated value (459)
      11. FFAEFC20: 14 CA JREQ FFAEFD70h ; endless loop - stop code execution
      Display All
      From my notes, here are two examples of how the check works. The value being compared here (shown in decimal, in brackets), are the first three digits of the serial number labeled on the U64 PIC.

But what I wanted to show is there are two checks in every Wolf unit game. It always looks for 528, then a unique value for each game. The serial prefix 528 was perhaps a 'developer id' used internally, so they had a single PIC for booting any game

I can confirm it is possible to create a PIC that returns an encoded serial number starting with 528 :D
    • yavuzg wrote:

Darksoft wrote:

The only way to know for sure is installing those missing components I guess.
      Just ordered some MK41T56N from aliex. I'll let you know the outcome...

Installed it, along with the RTC crystal. Nothing changed. Same errors. Installing it has absolutely no positive or negative effect.

Either;

a) Additional components needed.
      b) The MK41T56N from aliex is a dud
    • Having fun ...

Blank checking... Code Buffer
      Elapsed time: 0.91 seconds.
      Device blank check failed at address: 0x00007E, Read= 0x7F.
      Blank check failed
      Elapsed time: 9.05 seconds.
      Device blank check failed at address: 0x010002, Read= 0xFE.
      Blank check failed
      Elapsed time: 0.91 seconds.
      Device blank check failed at address: 0x0000CE, Read= 0x7F.
      Blank check failed
      Elapsed time: 114.85 seconds.
      Device blank check failed at address: 0x0E0B06, Read= 0xFE.
      Blank check failed
      Elapsed time: 2.95 seconds.
      Device blank check failed at address: 0x00498B, Read= 0xFB.
      Blank check failed

at least some work but man ... lots of roms of that stuff!!

hopefully the third erase will work!
      ++