What's new
Though if you're playing on an LCD you're still going to need something like an OSSC to convert the RGB video signal.
Dont forget the DVDO VP20-30-50-50pro to convert the sync timing into something most LCDs can display. ;)

8fL3WTt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I need both the OSSC and the DVDO VP20-30-50-50pro? Or is it one or the other?

Is the smaller black box the OSSC? What is the ballpark cost for these components?

Are there any options to just plug the Cps2 (plus joystick of course) into the Super Gun and connect to an older tv?
I though I saw this on Youtube - or maybe the other components were off screen?
They were all using much older style tvs/monitors

Most supergun support svideo, component and compsite for old TV.. If you have not seen RGB video output then you will not mind svideo and below..ultimately what you want is RGB or a straight HDMI conversation which seems to be the way that we are moving.. There is a person that created a card to mod the CPS2 with HDMI.. It is not in the market for sale at this time.

Most Arcade Boards from the late 70s through the mid-90s output a RGBS signal with a 15KHz horizontal refresh rate. This is similar to the RGB SCART signal that many older European TVs support. In the USA TVs that support an RGBS are incredibly uncommon. So a lot of Superguns do have converters for Composite output (which works but IMO looks terrible).

For the best picture you want a display that support RGBS natively. RGBS is similar to VGA except the horizontal and vertical sync signals are combined, and it runs at a much lower Horiztonal Refresh (VGA is 31KHz). Most Displays that support VGA wont support a horizontal refresh rate that low.

There are a few highly sought after consumer models that can be nearly impossible to find, and the "holy grail" of RGB models is the Sony PVM and BVM line of trinitrons. these were high end "Broadcast" monitors used by TV Stations, Movie Studios, Hospitals, and Art Installations. when new they cost $2000-$5000. Today you can sometimes find them in the $200-$300 range, but some of them, if rebuilt can still fetch $800-$1600.... Mostly due to classic video game enthusiasts who want the best damn picture possible. These displays support RGB natively and look fantastic.

For a much lower cost option you can try to find late 90s Sony Trinitron ... if you hunt your local Craigslist you can often find them anywhere from Free to $300. You'll want a NON-HD model that has YUV (component) inputs, and then you can use a RGBS to YUV transcoder to hook up your RGBS sources. This is probably the best "Budget" option.

The Sony KV-##FV300 is probably the best of these, followed by the KV-##FS120 and FS100. These are available in a multitude of sizes from 24" up to 36" or 38" (I think?)

There has been some progress made on hacking various TVs for a native RGBS input too if you're up for it: Adding RGB input to an old CRT TV

SCART is still standard on most but the high end TVs in the EU. In fact, the cheapest of the cheap own-store brand TVs (usually the same Turkish chassis re-badged) all have SCART, MP4 DVBt or DVBs2 tuners AND analogue tuners that will blind-search any band You put it on, AND they are multisync and capable of running PAL, NTSC and SECAM without much fuss. The only killer with these is the 16:9 ratio, as some are so cheaply designed, they do not have a 4:3 option, so you end up with that nonsense to set every time You boot the things. OK, these are not ideal, and nowhere close to even the crappiest CRT, but they do work, and after a beer or 3, you hardly notice. maybe. Oh yeah, and the nastier the brand, the more likely it will have a multi PSU that will work solid on 110V as well as 220v.

Since the introduction of an EU advance re-cycling levy on new domestic hardware, ALL dealers have to accept Your old appliance for re-cycling - even if You do not buy anything. This means old SCART CRTs are now super rare, as every joe soap dragged their old box to the store when they picked up their new flatscreen. The days of putting the old TV in the garage or the kids' room are gone sadly. So, the only sure supply of native RGB screens now is the many flatscreens that seem to live forever - better then nothing i guess.. But, don't panic, there are still PLENTY of SCART units being made and sold today, and although some versions do not have an actual SCART socket on them, they do sometimes have a pigtail available as an extra, and/or a VGA socket - again, only the cheaper crap has this now, the big brands are all about HDMI, which we all know is a tool of evil and needs to be avoided.

My other option is to add some type of base cabinet and store the electronics in there. Not my most desired option.
As for the video, I purchased a vga converter on Ebay or Amazon which is how I tested the board when it arrived.

How much should a full size cab run? I saw one on Craigslist recently for sale at $450 - Marvel vs. Street Fighter, looked decent, incl. the monitor

Agreed on the cocktail idea.
Mine took a while to find because on the east coast it's hard as fuck to find a dynamo big blue. Spent 200$ on it and drove 150 miles round trip. Since you're a New Yorker might wanna try the neacf forums or their Facebook group.

My other option is to add some type of base cabinet and store the electronics in there. Not my most desired option.
As for the video, I purchased a vga converter on Ebay or Amazon which is how I tested the board when it arrived.

How much should a full size cab run? I saw one on Craigslist recently for sale at $450 - Marvel vs. Street Fighter, looked decent, incl. the monitor

Agreed on the cocktail idea.
Mine took a while to find because on the east coast it's hard as fuck to find a dynamo big blue. Spent 200$ on it and drove 150 miles round trip. Since you're a New Yorker might wanna try the neacf forums or their Facebook group.
Sorry about that. I just need a few....

$450 is about the cheapest I have seen thus far - looked decent. I could always sell the A + B boards to recoup some cash since I already have them

Last edited:
link?

searching NY the Soul Calibur II here would be a great starter cab: https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/vgm/6007423922.html
depending on how the monitor looks and how far you're willing to drive.

that's a Dynamo cab which are probably one of the most versatile of the wooden cabs. SC2 is a pretty great game too :)

I also found a guy in PA selling a Vewlix clone? (I'm assuming it's a clone but I don't know the details enough to tell the difference): https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/vgd/6035181560.html

Last edited:
yes those are clones... they appear in my local craigslist as well... stay away from clones.. trust me on this..

Can you let the rest of us in on the secret as to how to tell a clone from a legit one?
6EbeJVX.jpg

Official Vewlix C plexi has silver writing that says "Vewlix" on it in large correct font.
Both sets of speakers are the same, official has different speaker cover on two.
Missing silver side art with Vewlix in correct font.
Leg lever go's thru top of foot.
No indentation in control panel top (area on Capcom official is not flat).

v6pwq8g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me they look worst in person-- cheap TV type LCD and the motion blur is bad, if you are not sensative to motion blur you will not notice, control panel that bends when you push it, the internals, cheap Jamma wiring, cheap amp like car stero.. If you think the Ls are made of cheap stuff, after you see a clone, you will change your mind:)

Official Vewlix C plexi has silver writing that says "Vewlix" on it in large correct font.
Both sets of speakers are the same, official has different speaker cover on two.
Missing silver side art with Vewlix in correct font.
No indentation in control panel top (area on Capcom official is not flat).
Do those all hold true for the L as well? I get the impression that this is being sold as an L with red trim.

Do those all hold true for the L as well? I get the impression that this is being sold as an L with red trim.
L hasn't got the...
Or the...
These minor differences is why Derick and I say the Capcom/F are the top of the line for Vewlix.

The plexi/side art is also different, but far more elaborate than the clone for sure.
I also just noticed the clone has black metal brackets on the side panels, official is always chrome.

Back