What's new
That's super useful!

so to boil it down for universal truths across all the Vewlix models, real vewlix have:
-Metallic/unpainted feet and metallic/unpainted brackets on the side panels
-Two different types of speakers for top and bottom
-Leg Levers do not go through the feet.

Only the Capcom has different sets (two) of speakers.
The Vewlix F/L/D/Vs all have leg levers that pass thru the foot, again only the Capcom has the hidden.

Only the Capcom has different sets (two) of speakers.The Vewlix F/L/D/Vs all have leg levers that pass thru the foot, again only the Capcom has the hidden.
oh I guess I read that part wrong. So then the only way to tell the difference other than the artwork is the metallic feet and side brackets?

oh I guess I read that part wrong. So then the only way to tell the difference other than the artwork is the metallic feet and side brackets?
The control panel surround on the F/L/Vs/Capcom is indented/recessed in the back.
On the clones and official Diamond its flat (this was one of the cost saving redesign changes Taito made).

Official Diamond vs Official Capcom...
0We5Zn1.jpg

Lights up on the F/Capcom.
Indented on the F/L/Vs/Capcom.
Different sets on the Capcom.
Hidden on the Capcom.

Aka, again why Derick2k and I both say the Capcom is the top of the line for Vewlix! ;)
Do I need both the OSSC and the DVDO VP20-30-50-50pro? Or is it one or the other?
You will always need the OSSC, the DVDO will depend on the sync output of the board you are trying to display and the sync range of the LCD you are using.
If you have a very accepting LCD (like a PC monitor for example) you may not need the DVDO at all...
If you are using a TV LCD (Samsung/Sony) you will likely need the DVDO to display most arcade boards/SNES.

When Twisted said "5K Kandy Klub" it was funny but at the same time accurate/not a joke... I really spent that on just the Capcom above.
The Diamond was even MORE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clarifying. I knew you were serious about the $5k btw. Those are nice cabs.

FYI -I found a Dynamo cab on craigslist for $350 - about an hour away. Going to speak to the guy later today.

Thanks for clarifying. I knew you were serious about the $5k btw. Those are nice cabs.

FYI -I found a Dynamo cab on craigslist for $350 - about an hour away. Going to speak to the guy later today.
hope its a 25" screen. 19" will look tiny

Only the Capcom has different sets (two) of speakers.The Vewlix F/L/D/Vs all have leg levers that pass thru the foot, again only the Capcom has the hidden.
This not quite true. I have both an F and and L and the leg levelers are hidden. I think once the cabinets began manufacture in China, they cut a few corners and the levelers pop up through the feet as seen in true non-clone Diamonds.

This one is a 19" - yes it does look funny
I figure beggars can't be choosers - no inventory to cherry pick

This not quite true. I have both an F and and L and the leg levelers are hidden. I think once the cabinets began manufacture in China, they cut a few corners and the levelers pop up through the feet as seen in true non-clone Diamonds.
Sorry "hidden" isn't a good descriptive word here...
What I should be saying is "corner" mounted, as you can see in this image (6 and the arrow it's pointing too) taken from the manual.
VewlixFoot_zps9696f815.jpg

Both the Capcom and F should have this small triangle shaped bracket that the leg leveler slots into.
The L, L-AMI, Vs and Diamond (plus all the clones) have a leg leveler that passes directly thru the foot (with an optional top-side cap that covers the hole).

Take a look at this (crap) all clones...
9-b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I ever buy a Vewlix I'm going to have to fly you to Australia to check it out jassin, lol

I can't tell the difference apart from the lack of the Vewlix logo in the marquee area, I guess the ugly cheap ass monitor would be noticeable but at the same time I'd have to believe that a monitor on a used arcade machine isn't going to be perfect so that doesn't help either

Welcome to the addiction and the forums!

You can always use a jamma extension if your cab is already wired for jamma. Then you can place the CPS2 boards outside the cab. I would also recommend getting the longer cable for the LCD, as this makes it easier to change games.

:D

Hi :

I like crt’s myself. However the newer sega equipment really needs the newer type screens.
But by loki’s beard my afterburner climax will try real hard to be crt retro.

Nano nano as mork would say

Goodnight all and welcome sir.
Euphoria

However the newer sega equipment really needs the newer type screens
So long as the equipment in question can output a valid 31khz signal...
  • 640x480
  • 800x600
  • 1024x768
You can very easily adapt it to 15khz only CRTs using a UVC (Universal Video Converter).
uvc_pix.jpg

The UVC will always output 320x240 when using the 15khz setting/dip (it also works with medium 24khz CRTs outputting a fixed 512x256).

The UVC are great little gadgets. I wonder why these arent being reproduced.
I wonder that myself whenever they come up. you used to be able to pick them up for $20-$30, I've seen them sell for as much as $150, doesn't seem like there's much to them.

Are they able to make a 25KHz signal work on a 15KHz monitor as well? or does the source have to be VGA?

The UVC are great little gadgets. I wonder why these arent being reproduced.
I wonder that myself whenever they come up. you used to be able to pick them up for $20-$30, I've seen them sell for as much as $150, doesn't seem like there's much to them.
Are they able to make a 25KHz signal work on a 15KHz monitor as well? or does the source have to be VGA?
I havent tried it, I think it needs to be vga, would be great if you could get 24-25khz games working on 15khz.

Back