What's new

Dreygor

Grand Master
Reaction score
I am looking for cheap alternatives for IDE DVD-ROMs. Especially ones that will work on the Namco System 246 and run Tekken 4. I will be posting what I find and I encourage others to do the same. I see lists here and there of a handful but there are thousands of IDE DVD-ROMs out there that may fit the bill.

DO NOT WORK ON 246/256 - NOTE: The Lite On will get the machine to say "Good Morning" before it stalls out.
P8wuzLmh.jpg

DO NOT WORK ON 246/256
Zh2kHCHh.jpg

The DVD Drive that came in my Namco System 246 B Board is an AsusTek DVD-E818A3 Drive. It works with Soul Calibur 2, Soul Calibur 3 Arcade Edition and Tekken 4 Version D.

The DVD Drive that came in my Namco System 246 B Board is an AsusTek DVD-E818A3 Drive. It works with Soul Calibur 2, Soul Calibur 3 Arcade Edition and Tekken 4 Version D.
What revision and manufacture month? Do you have a picture by chance?

This one works too. Tested with Tekken 4.
fZ9rxav.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0184_zpspmprn3rc.jpg
This one came with my 246, works on Tekken 4 and the Gundam games.

OK I FINALY got a DVD-ROM that works perfectly. Plays Tekken 4 with no glitches no stalls or anything..
oNtA9dPl.jpg

aOaUJAYl.jpg

Now this drive below will work in a 246/256 but will not play Tekken 4. This is the one that came in the Soul Calibur 2 unit.
H4nfmONl.jpg

2UmAIAgl.jpg

Last edited:
Also just because I found a drive that works for me .. don't stop posting those pictures and info! Drives do fail .. it would be nice to be able to find a replacement at the drop of a hat!

Thanks for the info - I got (2) SD-616 that I thought would work, but neither played Tekken4.

I had a Toshiba 1612K that worked fine with Tekken4 - but died, so need to find a replacement.

I just bought an IBM GSA-4082B per your picture above - hoping it works great!

Matt

With Tekken 4 the worst issue is a feature modern DVD drives have, where they slow down the disc to 1x when they detect constant reading at low data rate (they assume the drive is playing DVD Video, reducing the speed is meant to reduce acoustic noise produced at the drive) which Tekken 4 is not programmed to deal with. It will act as if the disc is scratched (I.E.: freeze).

Also, during the attract mode fight there's no DVD ROM accesses and it lasts long enough for some drives to actually stop the disc. That too will cause Tekken 4 to freeze as it won't issue a command to spin up the disc.

And as the OP notes, a couple of drives fail at ATAPI command level, the game won't even get started.

Well - I got the *exact* same IBM drive listed above (see pic) - and it doesn't work with Tekken 4... :(

I think I have recently bought 6 DVD's off of ebay looking for one that works with T4.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG-3893.JPG
    IMG-3893.JPG
    752.6 KB · Views: 603
Well - I got the *exact* same IBM drive listed above (see pic) - and it doesn't work with Tekken 4... :(

I think I have recently bought 6 DVD's off of ebay looking for one that works with T4.

Matt
Are you using it with a 246 or 256?

Good question - I tried it on my system 256.

If you think it makes a difference, I can try it on my 246 later tonite.

Matt

Good question - I tried it on my system 256.

If you think it makes a difference, I can try it on my 246 later tonite.

Matt
Try it on the 246, I've read that some drives/games combination will work in one setup and not in the other.

Last edited:
I don't believe Tekken 4 will work on the 256 at all. Many games do not work on the 256 in 246+ mode.

Hmmmm - i am very sure it worked on the 256 in 246+ mode - because that is all I was using to play it. My 246 is away in a closet... but I will check tonite to see if this IBM DVDROM works on the 246!

Matt

but - i would trust Mitsurugi over me - maybe I am just thinking of a different game... :)

Back