What's new

Agent_X

Student
Reaction score
When I first tried to boot Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, I was pretty successful the first couple of times. It booted with no problem. I was using the Capcom i/o to draw power.

Normally when the net dimm is finish checking the memory, the game would then boot. But now, whenever I try to boot, I always get stuck at the black screen after the net dimm finishes checking the memory. Any ideas?

I'm using a Naomi 2 with the muli-bios. Net dimm is 4.02...

have you changed something in your setup? Different DIMM, different pic?

Have you already tried to reload the game into the dimm memory?

have you changed something in your setup? Different DIMM, different pic?
I changed out the supercapacitor a few hours before this post, as I noticed there was a leak.

The first boot was working fine after the capacitor. But after that, it stopped working... During the first boot, I changed the sound from stereo to mono... that's all that changed...

And I have tried reloadiNG the game... it no longer works... also, when i go into the naomi system menu, I see that the game is still recognised as "awnaomi". When I try to go into the "game test menu" for "awnaomi", black screen again :/

ok... I tried the system again this morning... It works again... Maybe the system was too hot and that's why it didn't boot...

I will continue to test...

So... For the first boot, I loaded a game into the net dimm memory... It works.

But then when I reset the system and try to for a second boot by loading up a new game into the dimm, I come across the same black screen problem...

But did you power cycle? Not all games allow to load a 2nd game via netboot when one is loaded.

Maybe you could test with another game.
Another thing you can try is disconnecting the netdimm memory backup battery.
When the netdimm memory is cleared like that, it should boot into an error.
See if you can load and run the game again afterwards.
While those are not solutions, they could help pinpointing the issue you are having.

Maybe you could test with another game.
Another thing you can try is disconnecting the netdimm memory backup battery.
When the netdimm memory is cleared like that, it should boot into an error.
See if you can load and run the game again afterwards.
While those are not solutions, they could help pinpointing the issue you are having.
where is the backup battery for the netdimm?

I found where the battery resides :D But the problem still persist... Before finding out where the battery was, I went to work all day after my last post. When I came home and tried to boot up again, it works. And then I purposely try to boot it again after turning the power on/off. The problem persisted...

And then I found where the battery was for the net dimm. Took it out and tried again. It booted fine again. And then, I tried booting another game again by turn the naomi on/off. The problem again persist.

My only conclusion now is... I don't think I can switch games on the fly after turning the naomi on/off from the previous game that was netbooted in. I'm guess there is a power cycle, in which I have to wait a certain amount of time before being able to boot another game... Hope this makes sense...

what games are you trying during these tests? I could try and attempt the same test myself to maybe give you some feedback from my experience. Just an idea.

what games are you trying during these tests? I could try and attempt the same test myself to maybe give you some feedback from my experience. Just an idea.
the atomiswave games. The atomiswave games are a bit strange. Naomi games have no issues. For me, you can immediately boot them without issue or the need to power cycle the naomi board.

Atomiswave games can boot perfectly when you first turn on the system. But when you want to boot in another atomiswave game, you need to turn off the naomi and wait awhile. But if it is a naomi game... no problem. Back to back booting of atomiswave games requires a bit of waiting in between.

Also switching from naomi to atomiswave, you can't boot immediately. Again, you need to wait for some reason b4 being able to boot atomiswave. Idk if this is happening to everyone else, but this is what I am experiencing...

ahhhh that hay esa the problem! Please be more specific in you descriptions. Original message points to a general failure where you get black screen with all games.

The problem you are having is most probably related to your bios. Try changing it for the latest one for your Naomi.

Everything is solved now. I don't want to write a long post, but in short ALWAYS use a seperate power supply and avoid using the Capcom i/o for power when possible.

I recently acquired a power supply for my Naomi 2 and found that the problems I talked about were non-existent when powering the Naomi 2 from a separate power supply :D

So, my final conclusion is, drawing power from the Capcom i/o results in the Naomi 2 acting strange when trying to boot up Atomiswave games. ALWAYS use a SEPERATE PSU.

Regular Naomi games still load up fine with or without separate power supply.

Yeah the Capcom I/O is known to have problems when running a NetDIMM setup because of the power draw (though there are mods to allow you to do it).

It's surprising you've had no issues with NAOMI just Atomiswave but either way you're far better off for reliability having a separate power supply, NAOMI setups are super picky about power and even worse when running a NetDIMM

If I run 2 power supplies, one being a capcom and the other being an official Naomi one I should be ok right?

Yeah the Capcom I/O is known to have problems when running a NetDIMM setup because of the power draw (though there are mods to allow you to do it).

It's surprising you've had no issues with NAOMI just Atomiswave but either way you're far better off for reliability having a separate power supply, NAOMI setups are super picky about power and even worse when running a NetDIMM
I've been suffering from this problem, reading posts from a long time ago, can't get my hands on any new equipment for what I need right now, hoping and testing like mad -- finally register to post this - thank you Darksoft for this work, I can't express thanks enough.

I have Naomi 1, Capcom io, raspberry pi, sun power supply (sorry I don't know other details off hand)
-- at 5.0 v, atomiswave hung on a black screen at launch. At 5.1v, atomiswave worked. And I was just kicking myself, cause all my life I've had boards (especially big ones) that freeze or stall if I don't turn up the 5v UNTIL they work. If it hangs again, I'll check that first. I was babying the Naomi.

I have Naomi 1, Capcom io, raspberry pi, sun power supply (sorry I don't know other details off hand)
-- at 5.0 v, atomiswave hung on a black screen at launch. At 5.1v, atomiswave worked. And I was just kicking myself, cause all my life I've had boards (especially big ones) that freeze or stall if I don't turn up the 5v UNTIL they work. If it hangs again, I'll check that first. I was babying the Naomi.
I'm using a Sun power supply to power the Naomi. Maybe a dumb question but where can I make the adjustment from 5.0 to 5.1?

Back