What's new

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
knTpeUj.jpg

I had seen an old sales thread on KLOV about replacing the KI2 hard drive with an IDE DOM, as well as post by @acblunden2 considering a DIY version, and thought, 'Well, I already have half the parts, let's give it a try.' I particularly like having the DOM on this board since it's shorter than one of the heatsyncs, and doesn't stick off the edge of the board like the CF adapter I have. I've only played a bit but didn't notice any unusual behavior vs my hard drive (though I'm admittedly not that discerning when it comes to this particular game).

In case you want to reproduce this, I used a USB-IDE adapter, some gender changing pins, a 44 pin DOM I picked up off eBay, and good old diskpart and chdman.exe. I assume you already have a CDH and the boot rom done. The process is identical to creating a CF card, but here you go:

1. connect DOM to windows10 laptop via the USB-IDE adapter and gender changing pins
2. run cmd.exe with administrator permissions
3. at command prompt, type "diskpart" enter
4. type "list disk"
5. look at the list for the DOM, mine was "DISK 1"
6. type "select disk 1" with the '1' being wherever your DOM is
7. type "clean"
8. type "exit"
9. cd over to wherever your chd is (instructions here to make a chd, or just find one online...)
10. type "chdman extracthd -i kinst2.chd -o \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 -f" (again with the 1 being the drive number from diskpart)

That's it, plug it in the board.
Promptly lose to the computer, hit test mode and adjust the difficulty. Lose again. How do you combo again?
Plug in SF2CE...

edit: yes I can make you one. PM me to coordinate.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this would also work on KI1? Awesome work I definitely want to do this with my KI1

If you'd be happy to ship the DOM to Australia I'd be happy to take it off your hands depending on the cost of shipping - otherwise there seems to be a few around and even some that don't come in the nice case but the IDE connector is mounted in such a way the DOM would almost sit flush with the board which would be nice too

Last edited:
You can also solder a 40 pins header in the location next to the 44 pins and install a 40 pin DOM or CF adapter.
It's a simple 40 pin pata connector. Maybe 40 pins DOM's are easier to find?

I'm assuming this would also work on KI1? Awesome work I definitely want to do this with my KI1

If you'd be happy to ship the DOM to Australia I'd be happy to take it off your hands depending on the cost of shipping - otherwise there seems to be a few around and even some that don't come in the nice case but the IDE connector is mounted in such a way the DOM would almost sit flush with the board which would be nice too
I assume KI1 works given the KLoV thread. But if you want to ship me a KI1 to test... ;)

I'm planning to try on a couple other boards to see if they work (gauntlet legends comes to mind) but can't say just yet.

As for the extra DOM it might be more expensive to ship to AUS than it is actually worth, but I can check. Are there any locally on eBay? Mine was $10 usd and I see a few more nearby for $12.99 shipped (to me anyway)

Last edited:
I have a DOM setup on my KI2 board

it came with the board so I don't know how it was setup but it's never given me any problems in my years of ownership.

We (at work) had a KI1 working with a cloned harddisk. I see no reason why a DOM setup shouldn't work.
I do remember we had to change one of the program roms. Some security check or so that was removed?

It does with any non original replacement. It's known as the AnyIDE boot ROM and I'm already using it as my board was purchased with a non standard drive (it's running a laptop HDD at the moment)

I assume KI1 works given the KLoV thread. But if you want to ship me a KI1 to test... ;)

I'm planning to try on a couple other boards to see if they work (gauntlet legends comes to mind) but can't say just yet.

As for the extra DOM it might be more expensive to ship to AUS than it is actually worth, but I can check. Are there any locally on eBay? Mine was $10 usd and I see a few more nearby for $12.99 shipped (to me anyway)
Yeah there's a few cheap ones there I can pick up, I'll do that. The board is so fragile I was worried about having it shipped across the country when I bought it much less shipping it overseas lol

think this would work with an area 51 site 4? Board doesn't seem to like any ide to CF or SD type adaptors. There is one model sd adaptor that should work but I can't find the right chipset. wouldn't I also want a 40 pin DOM if so assuming I get one large enough capacity ?

At first glance, the area 51 site 4 board looks pc based. (It's hard to tell as I couldn't find any decent pictures. The main pcb is most of the time covered by a plate holding the harddisk)
If my assumption is correct (and even if it's not correct), it's possible that the pcb is using UDMA to access the harddisk. Most smaller and not very fast compact flash cards don't support UDMA modes. Only the newer, faster, more expensive ones do. A lexar 800x 16GB compact flash ckaims it supports UDMA7. It doesn't end with the card. Some compact flash to ide adapters don't support UDMA either. It requires 2 extra signal lines that often aren't routed correctly on the pcb. You will need to figure out if UDMA is needed and if your DOM supports it.

think this would work with an area 51 site 4? Board doesn't seem to like any ide to CF or SD type adaptors. There is one model sd adaptor that should work but I can't find the right chipset. wouldn't I also want a 40 pin DOM if so assuming I get one large enough capacity ?
I'll give it a shot. Yes I think I need a 40 pin DOM though I may have a converter somewhere.

@obcd I think you are right, it's PC based. There is a KLoV thread looking for answers on A51site4 CF/SD conversion so here's a pic of my board if it helps: i.imgur.com/vKhctbC.jpg

edit: I don't have a DOM large enough, womp.

Last edited:
The picture of the board sure helps, and yes, it's pc based.
The harddisk is connected with a 40 wire cable, which limits the transfer speed.
UDMA 0, 1 and 2 can work with a 40 wire cable.
As the board is using the small memory modules, I expect it to be 486 or early Pentium based.
The harddisk on the other hand is rather big for such an area hardware with it's 160GB.
If you boot the system, does it give a clue what OS it's running, or is that all nicely hidden?
Sometimes, old motherboards with old biosses use different LBA conversion formulas and that can cause issues as well.

I wish I could say... my board actually has video issues. It boots, and I can hear the game, but can't see a thing (blurry). I do know folks think the key is this SD to IDE chipset (specifically the FC1306T chip). I have an FC1307A, and it does not work. Can't find a 1306T, but if you think UDMA or some other factor is the key, there are a few folks who would be happy for an alternative to the game's HD.

http://eshop.sintech.cn/sdhc-sd-memory-card-to-40pin-female-ide-adapter-p-161.html (sold out)

Your video looks as if your monitor has no sync at all. I am no expert, but seem to remember that some supergun boards disable the sync's going to the monitor till they are within 15k range. It's basically for 15kHz mame setup's. When the pc boots, the video card outputs vga. When the arcade driver takes over, the signal becomes 15kHz and the sync is passed trough to the monitor. Some arcade monitors can be damaged if you feed them the wrong (to high) sync signals. If your supergun board is having electronics for such, maybe those don't like the video signal and refuse to pass it trough to the monitor. There might (or might not) be a way to disable the feature. Do you have a place with more information about the supergun board you are using?

Your video looks as if your monitor has no sync at all. I am no expert, but seem to remember that some supergun boards disable the sync's going to the monitor till they are within 15k range. It's basically for 15kHz mame setup's. When the pc boots, the video card outputs vga. When the arcade driver takes over, the signal becomes 15kHz and the sync is passed trough to the monitor. Some arcade monitors can be damaged if you feed them the wrong (to high) sync signals. If your supergun board is having electronics for such, maybe those don't like the video signal and refuse to pass it trough to the monitor. There might (or might not) be a way to disable the feature. Do you have a place with more information about the supergun board you are using?
It's the wonderful HAS from RGB on this forum. I do have a doc here, and have tried a few sync options the pcb offers, but so far it's a no-go. Maybe I'll lend this out to someone who has an actual monitor. I guess I didn't think it could be an issue between the board and the HAS but it was sold to me as working, so perhaps I'll revisit those options.

As an aside I'm shooting you a PM since you seem to know your stuff, but we're off the DOM topic!

its a cyrix mediaGX PC motherboard connected to a jammit board which is the jamma interface. Image should fit on a 8gb. As mentioned it needs the mythical SD chipset. I bought a spare MB since mine doesn't seem to give me sound. I also have to crank up he voltage to get the thing to run. Guess it's hungry.

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=785

So is it worth picking up a 40pin 8gb DOM to try?

@Coyo5050 8gb 40 pin DOM failed to boot for A51site4. I was using a chd from the net so I'll try another one (my drive is a 160gb image, dunno if I can rip and rebuild appropriately). maybe I'll try to verify the chd in MAME but iirc it doesn't play there.

Maybe, if you could connect a legacy keyboard, you could go into bios setup and check how the bios is seeing the DOM. It's possible that it uses CHS and that LBA is needed. I have even seen old pc mobo biosses that only used 128 as maximum heads instead of 255. As the LBA translation was different compared to the pc that was used to create the disk, it didn't work.
Problem is that the jammit board might be blocking the ps2 port connector. Maybe the board is still outputting vga when it's not fully booted and you can run it without the jammit board using a vga monitor.

Back