What's new
Are you sure the game doesn't check the size of the drive as a form of security protection?

Or the brand of drive/firmware version etc? I seem to remember the Xbox 360 doing smirking something like that to prevent people using non original hard drives and that would make it much more difficult to run off a DOM

Could be any number of issues... hd size isn't one though, my drive identifies as 160gb since it's aftermarket.

My bet is on the bios not choosing LBA automatically for such a small drive. Strange however that some sd - ide chipset works.
Maybe it reports itself to the pc as LBA compatible only.
Only way to know is checking it in the bios setup (if that's accessible.)

Hopefully I'll get some time and I'll fiddle with it. Great ideas to test, thanks all!

Follow up regarding area 51 site 4. Got an IDE 2 Sata board and found a 8gb SSD cheap. Imaged the drive and it works. Another solid state option besides flash.

Follow up regarding area 51 site 4. Got an IDE 2 Sata board and found a 8gb SSD cheap. Imaged the drive and it works. Another solid state option besides flash.
Nice! post the board and ssd, and the imaging options! And, uh, maybe throw the chd or image somewhere? My HDD shows itself as 160gb and I'm not excited about ripping and working with that image.

I couldn't get the DOM to work, and tried one other CF option that also failed. The board has a sync issue so I put it away for the time being.

I just used the chd from mame imaged same way you would do KI and others. Standard sata to ide adaptor from ebay and some cheap ssd also from ebay, 8gb, kingspec was the brand.

you buy flash that is "used" but "work good" ??
that's brave.

btw, if your sata adapter does not work, find the jumper/pad to swap between master & slave.
this has caught people over on the russian dreamcast forum!

awesome to see this works for area 51s4 - I just picked up two of them, and am hopeful that I can get them up and running!

awesome to see this works for area 51s4 - I just picked up two of them, and am hopeful that I can get them up and running!
I've got a friend with one of those still using the hdd, so I'd be interested in details if you get it working.

I've got a friend with one of those still using the hdd, so I'd be interested in details if you get it working.
here's a couple photos, links to the adapter and ssd are above. My guess is any ssd works.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jPkCW

Only thing that caught me off guard was the adapter's LED is either super dim or doesn't light up. Otherwise you just need power to both the adapter and the ssd. Writing the ssd was just like a normal chdman operation.

the led is probably flickering very fast with the drive access

I should probably post this solution in more places :)

I should probably post this solution in more places :)
there are a few old KLOV threads that certainly could use the bump. I googled for a while and kept dead-ending at the old SD card solution that is out of production. I dunno why but I never considered ssd's as a solution, but it seems pretty bulletproof. I do wish DOM would have worked, so much cleaner. This is a separate board and a bunch of cables, but at the end of the day it's better than a spinning hard drive that's just waiting to fail. I'd say go for it!!

edit: like this one https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=293916

Back