What's new

undamned

Multi Baez
Champion
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Introduction:

I got way too far behind on the wait list for the original builds and wanted to open this up for other people to try their hand at building their own UD-CPS2 :D

Many concepts from the original project are being carried over into this new one, but the actual PCBs and mechanical layout are quite different, and for the better. Installation will still require decent soldering and mechanical skills, but much less so than the original.

General overview of the New features:

- Exposed JAMMA/Kick interfaces (pull straight from your arcade cabinet and hook up a TV)
- Non-destructive electrical installation (only adding parts, no removing)
- Minimal mechanical modification to the case (will include some nice templates to aid proper hole location)
- 4-Player interface (there are a few technical reasons for this and the extra cost/labor is so minimal, there's little reason to only do 2 players)
- New Audio/Video options. Highlights include an HDMI scan converter with digital audio (designed by Marqs, of OSSC fame. Here's his thread on Shmups and my preview of the installation) and a VGA scan converter (designed by @mikejmoffitt, the NEO-VGA).
- Robust drop-in replacement for the Test/Vol.Up/Vol.Down button assembly.

I will be making a step-by-step installation guide (probably both PDF and video), which I recommend people review before purchasing so that they get a feel for the level of skill required.

Timeline:

No promises, but my goal is to have full production kits available late this year. Also, Marqs is still shaking out the HDMI firmware (at present, he has some working demo stuff, but release firmware will have many more video resolutions and features), so I'm sure a lot of people will want to wait for that to be finalized.

Latest Status Update:

DIY UD-CPS2 Kit

-ud

Last edited:
I did some asking around regarding keeping S-Video and Composite video signals and was met with a resounding "YES." The original UD-CPS2 used PSX A/V ports, but acquiring those is a pain, so I am investigating other standard A/V ports (as to avoid the need for custom cables). My first thought was to use the same 10-pin mini DIN used on the Sega Saturn, as those cables are readily available and support the most commonly used analog signals (RGBS, L/R audio, Composite Video, and S-Video). The problem is that I have been unable to find a modern manufacturer of that exact style/keying.

The next best option I could think of would be to use the 9-pin mini DIN used on Sega MD/Genesis 2 consoles. The pinout lacks S-Video, but supports everything else (RGBS, L/R audio, and Composite Video) and the cables are readily available. One of those used in conjunction with a standard S-Video port should cover everyone's CRT connection needs.

A 3rd option would be to use a VGA connector, as there is a very common passive VGA to S-Video/Composite/L/R Audio adapter used by PC video cards which are capable of outputting those signals on their VGA port. I'm waiting for one of those adapters to come in the mail and my hope is that the RGB/H/V signals are unused, so that they are free for RGB connectivity.

-ud

Isn't a SCART output an option worth considering, instead of VGA?

Isn't a SCART output an option worth considering, instead of VGA?
As far as connector density goes, SCART is pretty much as bad as it gets. It was one of the first connectors I considered for the original UD-CPS2 builds, but abandoned the idea due to it taking up so much space. I can take another look at it, though.

- EDIT -

Ok, SCART appears doable. No promises, but I'll do a proto analog video board with that design and report back.
-ud

Last edited:
Yes! Yes! Yes! - Want one.

Request: Rotate image. Even if Latency added.

I need 2 kits please.

Can Marqs make the scaler work with 4K displays?

Can Marqs make the scaler work with 4K displays?
I'm guessing most 4K displays still support 1080p, but if you are asking if this hardware will eventually output native 4k, the answer is no. If you want to have a better understanding of the potential for this hardware, get up to speed on marq's OSSC project, which this is largely based upon:
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC
https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/forum/ossc/

-ud
Thanks, put me down for 2 kits please.

Will you be offering install services or will sell premodified boards?

I'm not ready to officially take pre-orders, but your post will serve as some sort of place holder in line.

I will be building some to satisfy a small quantity of long overdue UD-CPS2 orders, but will not be building any new orders. If you don't wish to do the installation yourself, I can recommend a few modders to do the work for you.
-ud

I'm not ready to officially take pre-orders, but your post will serve as some sort of place holder in line.
I will be building some to satisfy a small quantity of long overdue UD-CPS2 orders, but will not be building any new orders. If you don't wish to do the installation yourself, I can recommend a few modders to do the work for you.
-ud
Thanks, looking forward to getting these.

I'm glad you are doing diy kits. I'm one of the guys that have been bugging you for parts to do a cps3 build. You can put me down for 1-3 depending on price.

Add me to this DIY waitlist. :)

Already have a multi, and was trying to get the controls wired myself. Would much rather go this route.

I was hoping to have had a bit more time to put towards new board layout and have something to show off at EVO 2017 this week, but overtime at day job and other items took some wind out of my sails. I've made some great progress this year, just not show-off-able, yet. In related news, I did a little lag test demo of Marqs' CPS2 HDMI board:

-ud

Great idea Undamed! I'd like to put my hand up in interest for these. Been asking over on SRK about your power supply setup for a while haha.

Been waiting a long time for this since asking about the originals on srk awhile back. Put me down for at least 1, maybe 2.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back